It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic 'DNA': Double Helix Spotted in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I guess they found a nubula in the shape of a double helix. This is just wierd. I hope it we dont find out that we are actually little cells... like at the end of the movie men in black. Still pretty kewl none the less.

Article

Magnetic forces at the center of the galaxy have twisted a nebula into the shape of DNA, a new study reveals.

The double helix shape is commonly seen inside living organisms, but this is the first time it has been observed in the cosmos.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Wow, truly odd.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Bigger pictureof the "DNA Nebula"

I wonder, is DNA as we know it the same shape, that is, double-helixed for all life forms. I mean, would an alien's DNA be shaped similiarly?

I'm just asking coz I wonder if there are aliens out there who also noticed this strange nebula and saw the resemblance.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
thats MY dna!!! the aliens are after me! i know it! somebuddy help me! AAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAH!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Kinds looks like the vapour contrails left behind in the wake of some jets as they streak across our sky...

Maybe that is all that above is, is the "exhaust remnants" of one giant ship as it was maybe studying the center of our galaxy or passing by...

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
"We need proof of your existance 'god' " -Scientest
"Wow, a random 60 lightyear nebula in the shape of our DNA!" -Scientest
"See?" -God
"Bah, humbug, impossible, thats a natural formation!" -Scientest

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxe
"We need proof of your existance 'god' " -Scientest
"Wow, a random 60 lightyear nebula in the shape of our DNA!" -Scientest
"See?" -God
"Bah, humbug, impossible, thats a natural formation!" -Scientest

Its just a simple geometrical shape. Now if you find a nebula formed exactly like the human cardiovascular system, I might agree with your point.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Just a joke. However, if you find a nebula like that as well, let me know.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
Now if you find a nebula formed exactly like the human cardiovascular system, I might agree with your point.

It's not exactly the same, but it's close.

Presenting, the Heart and Soul Nebula

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
the univerce is infinity and so then you must be abel to find anything out there that looks like anything you want it to look like right?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
hotdog&soup,

I was thinking of the same thing. Just the other day I saw a picture of a nebula that looked like the Eye of Sauron from LOTR.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Reminds me of the saying - "As above, so below".

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
would an alien's DNA be shaped similiarly?

DNA has the shape it does because of the properties of its components, so DNA on any planet should have that shape. However, please note, actual DNA in life isn't a nice picturesque double-helix, like that galaxy.

I'm just asking coz I wonder if there are aliens out there who also noticed this strange nebula and saw the resemblance.

Thats an interseting point. Imagine an alien planet noticing this, and something of a cult developing out of it, and the same thing on earth, and then contact between us and them, it'd seem like confirmation for that religion!

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The double helix nebula proves that the shape of double-helix is a natural occuring shape that can surface through chaos.

For those that do not know, the chaos theory predicts that the chaotic equations produce various non-chaotic graphs at certain points that are also repeated at lower scales (just like fractals). One of the most usual shapes is that of the snail; another one is the double helix.

Which proves that the double helix of DNA was the result of a natural occuring process and NOT the result of "divine intervention".

new topics

top topics

join