It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very, very disappointing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I haven't been here for a few weeks and I'm shocked to see a class system in place within this forum.
A "Really" secret forum for the special people.
The irony is quite sweet.
Animal Farm.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The Really secret forum is not for "special" people as you put it, but rather for more serious posters (atleast that was the intention I believe). It is a place where posts can be made that lurkers cannot view.

Excellent idea William!

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
And it's voluntary. Not everyone who qualifies has joined the group.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:03 AM
link   
*15,15*
Animal Farm?
What the hell?
There are no Napolean's and Snowball's here.
Besides, the forum was desgined so senior members could discuss serious topics without fearing some "newer" member jumping in with some little ten word, one line respnse.

Panther, you can probably get into the forum within the next few days anyways...
Why are you so worried?
A class system hey?
Or so you say...
There is no "class system" here.
Simply respect.

- Tass *40*

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   

And it's voluntary. Not everyone who qualifies has joined the group.

Interesting point.

Of course there is a heirarchy of sorts...there always is on any message board, just as there is in life. It's not made to be exclusionist, and rarely is, but you've got to realize that some posters will simply be comfortable with other posters and respond more to their posts, etc. This is no different than anywhere else...

The really secret forum, is really more for people who've been on the board a while, and who want a place to post without worrying about a Troll (someone creating an account just to mess with people), coming along and ruining their thread. The sacrifice is, not everyone will see it, and thus, you could potentially miss some valuable input. It's a give and take...not some class exclusionist tool....

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Let me start of by saying I'm new to ATS. I was a lurker for almost a year before signing up. Now that I am a member, I have posted 2 topics and replied to a handful of other topics. I am in a catch22 situation. I do not have the points to spend on some features on this page like the really secret forum, but I am not just going to post ten word responses to topics to get ATS points. I happen to share my opinions only when I feel necessary. Therefore it will be quite some time before I gain the points needed to gain entry in these special areas. Do I think this is unfair? No. It's just a fact of life on ATS. Privilege has it's rewards. Life is a poker game...just deal.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
*15,15*
WOW!
Thank you dark...
This truly is the type of mood we need here on ATS.
If anyone really wants to know, in the Really Above Top Secret forum, all we do is discuss the pros and cons of the point system.
You'll find several members with well over 10, 15, or even 20,000 points who say the system is horrible.
Then you have members who just spent all 3500 points they have to access the forum saying how much they enjoy it...
You're not missing anything panther.
Thank you dark, (nice avatar by the way)

- Tass *40*

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 09:37 AM
link   
There are quite a few respected ATS members that never joined that forum.... Respect isn't from amount of posts or points...it's from your posts over time I'd like to think...and how well you state your beliefs, defend your positions, etc.

Tass is right pretty much on the topics (being discussed in RATS), at least lately it seems all that's talked about....

Points, schmoints...as long as I get an @abovetopsecret.com e-mail addy, you could then take all the points you want from me, hehe.....

[Edited on 9-10-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexus Panther
A "Really" secret forum for the special people.
The irony is quite sweet.

eh... don't get bent out of shape over incorrect knee-jerk assumptions.

Over the years, several members have expressed a need for an area of the site where topics can be discussed without the prying eye of search engine spider/bots and lurking lunatics... a place where potentially sensitive topics can be discussed. Typically, such a forum is best populated by members who have proven their ability to discuss such topics with lucidty and concern... as such, in our expereince, the process of earning ATS points is the best arbitrary metric for gaining rights to such a protected (not secret) forum.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
R.A.T.S is completely reasonable people! I mean when you have a site that is trying to investigate sensitive subjects and trying to deny ignorance you need a section of the site that si secure for the members....

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I don't care at all about me as a one. I try to care about
others as I tend to put them before me. Are you all crazy?
How can those who cater to the very notions of the fears,
conspiracies and even offer recognition to topics which of
themselves are empty speculations about nothing. For,
people to giggle with eachother in attempted 'animal farm'
or 'sheep' talk are led themselves and this irony I find hilarious.

Here's a secret idea: The more you think you know be generalizing or belittling others with self-importance, are
those who NEED to feel important. So, argue if you will or
must.

Three reasons for anyone to offer info:

1)Clarification-To re-iterate or state opinion due to obvious or
apparent need to correct misinterpretation.

2)Justification-To feel compelled to defend one's own position;
generally by those who have to prove their opinion to themself.

3)Knowledge and/or Wisdom-As a teacher or someone in the
know of that which they feel must be offered or taught to another
given as a gift, not need for self-important elevation.

Only the weak minded seek allies to their cause out of insecurity
or despairation. The strong minded just afford allies by nature as
they don't do for self, they don't need to.

top topics

join