It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Big Afghan Oil Resources

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I read this and just had to post it. Why is it that america always seems to want to bring "democracy" to countries that have huge oil reserves. Once people actually start digging into the truth of why america fights wars most will see its not for freedom as they say but for profits.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two geological basins in northern Afghanistan hold 18 times the oil and triple the natural gas resources previously thought, scientists said Tuesday as part of a U.S. assessment aimed at enticing energy development in the war-torn country.

The $2 million assessment, paid for by the independent U.S. Trade and Development Agency, was nearly four years in the making, said Daniel Stein, the agency's regional director for Europe and Eurasia. The total area assessed was only about one-sixth of the two basins' 200,000 square miles that lie within Afghanistan.

article

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
There's probably oil in just about every Middle Eastern and African nation.
The US could have just as easily invaded Sudan, which I believe has more oil than Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hehehe my Mama has this theory that wherever there are plenty of muslims, there will be plenty of oil. Maybe she's right?

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Hehehe my Mama has this theory that wherever there are plenty of muslims, there will be plenty of oil. Maybe she's right?

I noticed that myself.
It's strange how that is.

Perhaps the Arabs had an oil or gas based economy just like the west does today and they went around colonizing all of these areas in the Middle East, Asia and Africa. I'm surprised there's no big oil discoveries in the Balkan states yet.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

If that was the case then pakistan would be rich by now. But pakistan has coal, natural gas etc. I don't think pakistan has that much oil

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
US simply has no excuse to invade Sudan, or whatever other country for that matter. But for Afganistan? Easy, Osama, Iraq? Saddam Hussein, Iran? WMD.

But guess the people in white house just aren't creative enough to make one for Sudan.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Funny; last time I checked...the Afghan war was before they discovered oil in this country.

I guess Bush can see the future?

Or maybe! Just maybe! It's because the Taliban would not surrender Osama bin Laden and had declared war on the US.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Perhaps the Arabs had an oil or gas based economy just like the west does today and they went around colonizing all of these areas in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.

I would find that doubtful Not until the mid-nineteenth century, was any formal effort made to extract oil for commercial use. There were "seeps" known before then but they werent of any great value. A Western first discovered Oil in Saudi Arbia for example while drilling for water. Before there was a huge demand for oil Water was worth far more to the people in that area.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Afghanistan is a relatively poor country and currently imports most of its energy. This discovery sounds like good news for such a poor country and I do not believe this was known before the US invaded. I doubt the news would have even made any difference as to whether the US invaded or not since I do not believe the US invaded to take over just a billion barrels of oil or so. If the US invaded countries just for their oil, Canada should be on the hit list next. I believe they have trillions of barrels of oil. That makes Afghanistan look like a tiny drop in the bucket even with the latest discovery.

top topics

join