It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A culture without religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
All throughout history, it seems many cultures were influenced by paranormal activity or phenomenal activity behind the borders of common reality for us.

Egyptians had their gods, Aztecs, Christians had their Jesus, I believe Druids maybe even had a gods or god.. or just worshiped nature in general I forget.

But just picture for a second, our world without any religious influence at all. Ask yourself questions:

Would the African-American slave trade occured because they wouldn't see themselves as Christian, there a feeling of being better than everyone else.

Would much of the world have as much valid reason for colonization because there wouldn't be anyone to "teach Christianity to" because it never existed.

Interesting indeed.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Imagine how many wars would not have been fought, how many wars would not be going on to this day........

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm actually working on a thread about how even waaaaay back in ancient time's, similar theories were being formed, such as atoms, helicentricity etc. and how each time it got dismissed, it was by religous belief's. Gunna take me awhile to finnish it up while I research every, spell check, and generally make sure it's a well thought out post. Just imagine where we'd be with 3,000-ish years of research into those two example's alone.

[edit on 15-3-2006 by Produkt]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If E.T. had an influence upon today's religious beliefs (which I very well believe they might of) and intended for it to set us straight - I have to not give them credit for being as advanced as they are and expect something so hopeful.

Different religions were probably made to cause the chaos that litters the world today.

I, personally, choose not to side with any religion because of what it has done and not recognize myself as anything except my own person.

But yes - religion seems to of been the leash which has tamed mankind scientifcally. Produckt, if what you say is true, I'd love to read your thread - just proves the point farther.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Relgion is definetly holding society back. Some The most horrific events in history were caused by religion, the salem witch trials, the crusades, the inquisition, and world war two.

If religion had not acted as a roadblock for the advancement of society there is no telling were we would be. We could be the equivalent of thousands of years in the future.

It is hard to beleive that modern human society still clings to ideologies that were more than likely created by neanderthals or other primitive beings. It is about time for society as a whole to cast out religion or at least organized religion. I honestly believe we would be much better off.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I agree, religion has held us back and retarded our development not only in the various sciences, but also our social/equality development.

My favorite example of whats postulated in this thread that comes from modern culture, is in the show StarGate, the Tollin our an amazingly technologically advanced society of humans, nearly on par with the ancients technologically, and they had the same time to develop as we did.

The one big difference is that they were left to develop without a religious belief, and did not go through the near millenia of scientific regression of the dark ages like we did.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The only reason religion keeps its territory I believe, other than that faith factor is that it's driven on by those seeking to have power. Bush with his talks on how religion influences him or statements by the Pope, just imagine how many minds you sway with your words when you're up there, you have a lot of power right there. It's one of those reasons that it's here to stay.

top topics

join