It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark finds first H5 bird flu case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Reuters reports that a case of H5 bird flu has been detected in Denmark. It is not known yet whether this virus is from the H5N1 strain or not.

Denmark finds first H5 bird flu case

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - Denmark has found the first case of the highly pathogenic H5 bird flu virus in a wild fowl, officials said on Wednesday.

The Ministry for Family and Consumer Affairs, which is in charge of food safety, said it would give further details at a news conference at 11 a.m. British time.

"At the news conference the authorities will inform about the measures taken as a result of the bird flu," it said in a statement.

It was still unclear if the case was the deadly H5N1 strain. So far H5N1 has never been found in Denmark.

Danish poultry farmers produce about 3 billion crowns worth of mostly chickens per year with two thirds going to export. Sweden and Germany are the two biggest export markets for Danish poultry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If it is H5N1, well what is there to say? It's really spreading fast. It's only a matter of time before it mutates to the human-to-human variety. But it doesn't have to be that way. There is a vaccine for those who work in close proximity to infected birds. It just has to be applied.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

There is a vaccine for those who work in close proximity to infected birds. It just has to be applied.

True - but I wonder if it's not too late beachcoma...

I've only found one scientist in the world - in Germany - who thinks it is still possible to prevent a pandemic.

Most scientists don't blame migrating birds, but say the virus spreads in soil and water - that it originated with man, then was spread to domestic poultry and fish - and only then to wild birds.

Moreover, the gag orders on microbiologists are loosening up - and more scientists are acknowledging that H5N1 is endemic.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
They've confirmed that it is H5N1.

Deadly bird flu found in Denmark

The first case of the deadly bird flu strain H5N1 has been confirmed in a wild buzzard in Denmark.

The Ministry for Consumer and Family Affairs said the dead bird had tested positive after being found near Naestved, south of Copenhagen.

It comes a day after Sweden said tests showed two wild ducks found on its east coast carried H5N1.

Danish authorities have set up quarantine and surveillance zones around where the buzzard was found.

The Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research said on Thursday a sample from the tests on the buzzard would be sent to the EU laboratory in the UK for final verification.

But it confirmed in a statement the H5N1 virus had been found.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I realize that people don't really care if this or that country gets infected with bird flu or not. After all, it's not like the human to human strain is emerging. We've been warned for quite some time about it, but still nothing significant has come out yet.

I'm sure this how many people reason things. I mean, there's no use worrying over it, right? If it comes, it comes...

But here's something else you should consider: what are the economic ramifications of bird flu in affected countries? This is what I'd like to observe. Like in the case of Denmark, how will this affect their poultry trade? What are the expected losses?

People may not care about people, but people do care about money.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Playing the 7th angel again? That should throw them off your tracks. I bet you have the mutation ready for the day of release.

Explain to me how this scores you browny points for the after life? Let nature take care of this naturally, you would be surprised how efficient it is. Meddling amounts to a bunch nothing.

mod edit: removed personal snipe

[edit on 17-3-2006 by sanctum]

new topics

top topics

join