It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government's Appetite For Information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   

The Government's Nosy Appetite For Information

While the Patriot Act and NSA wiretapping have received enormous attention and criticism from the mainstream media, another federal agency has been quietly gathering far more personal information about Americans than those laws ever can. And this unreported project affects thousands more people.

Our inquisitive federal government has been demanding that selected U.S. residents answer 73 nosy questions. They are threatened with a fine of $5,000 for failure to respond...

Here is the long form link: 2005 American Community Survey

Does this bug anybody else????

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This IS scary, just like the Google case.

Information is POWER.

This reminds me of when I was in 9th grade, we had some survey handed out in English class. I think it was a survey of study habits and some general questions about the course, the teacher, and the school (our opinion of them). Of course, at the top of the page in the instructions, it said something like: Please take the time to fill out this optional survey. Your comments are welcome...etc...

Well, I didn't take the survey. The teacher was shocked. I said I didn't want to take it. I was very cordial with her, but she got angered very quickly. I showed her the word 'optional' but she was so shocked that I was refusing to comply!

Anyways, I got sent to the principle's office and was threatened with OUT OF SCHOOL SUSPENSION if I didn't take it. So I took it and went down the line and filled out the first option for all questions in a minute or two.

Guess I caved in then... but I guarantee I would not do the same if it came to something like this!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Person 1 must answer 25 questions about his residence and the size of the property. What kind of a home, apartment or condo do you live in, when was it built, when did you move in, are you operating a business in your home, how many rooms and how many bedrooms do you have, what kind of bathroom and kitchen fixtures do you have, and what is the market price of your residence?

What, War in Iraq getting too costly, George? Are you opening up your own interior decorating service to make some extra cash? Well, ok, but as long as you mention that when you take YOUR survey.

The survey asks how much you pay each month for electricity, gas, water, rent, real estate taxes, fire or flood insurance, plus six very specific questions about your first and second monthly mortgage payments. There are questions about your telephone and automobile, and about how many months of the year you and others occupy the residence.

Just trying to see if you can catch us in a lie? (IRS tax forms, etc)

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yes it does bug me that the Government is collecting such information. I don't see how you could fight this though. As you probably know the Government has the authority to take a census (US Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 2). There is no specific restriction on how much information, or of what type, they can gather. Sadly, my advice to anyone who received this form would be to comply fully or suffer the consequences. Still stinks though.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by passenger
Yes it does bug me that the Government is collecting such information. I don't see how you could fight this though. As you probably know the Government has the authority to take a census (US Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 2). There is no specific restriction on how much information, or of what type, they can gather. Sadly, my advice to anyone who received this form would be to comply fully or suffer the consequences. Still stinks though.

How far out does this apply? Could the government use this as authority to collect any kind of data? Have they used the census as an excuse in the past?

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have a recommendation: Why doesnt the government pick out about 50 blonde women and 50 blonde men (after intensive scrutiny, of course) ship them off to another far away country temporarily. Then blast this country to kingdom come.
When the dust settles, VOILA. Bring them back and all will be well again.

Oh and by the way, watch out for real flying insects which are being worked on to carry radar, etc........for real.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
www.iraq-war.ru...

WASHINGTON - Facing problems in its efforts to train insects or build robots that can mimic their flying abilities, the U.S. military now wants to develop "insect cyborgs" that can go where its soldiers cannot.

Not to mention what these little insects could do in your home......

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
"How far out does this apply? Could the government use this as authority to collect any kind of data? Have they used the census as an excuse in the past?"

Well, you hit the problem right on the head! There are no Constitutional restrictions-it calls for "Enumeration...in such Manner as they (Congress) shall by Law direct." So, basically whatever law Congress passes regarding the census is acceptable so long as it does not violate other provisions.
There is plenty of case law on file, most of it exceptionally boring. I suppose you could make a defense based on the IVth Amendment, but that's probably a long shot there. My advice still stands-answer or else, bow and pray, scrape and grovel, and so on....

[edit on 15-3-2006 by passenger]

[edit on 15-3-2006 by passenger]

top topics

join