It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anon Article Posters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Just looking thru recent changes on the tinWiki,
which had one that Umbrax deleted.
'== Headline text ==== Headline text ==== Headline text ==RADIOHEAD LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO'''Bold text''''''Bold text''''''Bold text'''''...' (and the only contributor was 'XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX'))

Got me thinking, why not disable anon editing and make it so people need to login to make/edit articles.

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Xabora]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I second that. The only vandalism we have had has been from anon-users.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
...pending more admins, and given that I'm working on getting enough articles to be able to be considered an editor at tinwiki, I put in my vote for this as well. (if it counts, yet)

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I agree.
If at all possible, editing should be disabled unless you login.

[edit on 15-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I will speak with the Overlord about the matter.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
WOS, firstly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Did you manage to get a word in with SO about anon posters? It really needs to be addressed, tinwiki.org...:204.78.172.3&rcid=848 being a perfect example.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing that out nrky. I'm going to go delete now.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I did u2u him about it. I dont know if he has had the chance to focus on it yet. Im not certain that forcing people to register would curb the vandalism though either. As people with dial up connections can easily create multiple accounts.

Thanks for the Birthday wish, you guys really helped make it a meaningful and special one, thats for sure.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Umbrax: What IS the official word on anonymous posters in the meantime, until we can get an answer from SO? Are you guys (editors) going to be deleting all anonymous posts, or just the idiotic vandalism ones? Some guy did a decent addon to the Nibiru entry (albeit it lacked some spaces and was only a one-line contribution, but valid nonetheless), but it was anonymous.

EDIT: I honestly don't see the point in attempting to conceal your identity by not registering on the site, as IP addresses can be traced back to an ISP and the authorities/hackers contacted ANYWAY, so anonymity doesn't really exist unless you are a 733+ H4>

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Anon or not, changes and entries that that are meaningless to the tinWiki will be removed. Anonymous users as you have mentioned do make valid contributions. Entries will be judged by their content not by who made them.

However so far all vandalism has been caused by anon users so they will be watched closely.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Thats good to hear. ^_^

Yea, I'm back from my little break.

[edit on 28-3-2006 by Xabora]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I recently posted on the Wiki and I couldn't find anyplace to put any info about me, I didn't know if admins would have questions or whatever, it just seemed open.

I don't normally spend time on web wikis since it can take eons to put something together that is useful, factual, and linked like crazy, and has taken a dozen years of research to put together and understand, only to have some newbie bonehead come replace it with what some cult marketing effort brainwashed them with--yeah I know, that's what Wikis are like, get over it. But the tinfoil hat on the Wiki icon made me laugh out loud, so I figured in support of ATS and a noble endeavor I'd enter something. (under Remote Viewing, research.)

I apparently lost my login from years ago, been just lurking, so had to make a new one. Didn't see anywhere on the Wiki where it was ref'ing it tho.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedCairo
I recently posted on the Wiki and I couldn't find anyplace to put any info about me,

The first step is to register and log in. Then you can make your own user page.
Information on that can be found on the Getting started help page.

I don't normally spend time on web wikis since it can take eons to put something together that is useful, factual, and linked like crazy, and has taken a dozen years of research to put together and understand, only to have some newbie bonehead come replace it with what some cult marketing effort

It can be a headache, but when we try to make changes to tinWiki that will only improve on it. If someone were to delete all your hard work it is very easy for a sysop to roll it back to the way it was.

Thanks for helping out on the remote viewing page

top topics

join