It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Finalists for the Malaysian Space Programme Named

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has announced the names of the four final candidates to undergo training in Russia to be the first Malaysian astronaut. Out of 27 candidates shortlisted earlier this week, two doctors, an engineer and a pilot were chosen to undergo the final phase in which two more will be eliminated. The final two "will be chosen for a 18-month stint at the Star City Moscow and eventually only one candidate would go on the expedition to the ISS."

Docs, Engineer, Pilot For Astronaut Training In Russia, Says Najib

SUBANG, March 14 (Bernama) -- Two doctors, an engineer and a pilot were the Malaysian astronaut candidates picked to undergo training in Russia soon, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced Tuesday.

They are medical doctor Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor, 34, Dr Faiz Khaleed, 26, a dentist, S. Vanajah, 35, an engineer, and pilot Mohammed Faiz Kamaluddin, 34.

In announcing their names, Najib said they were chosen based on their mental and physical abilities.

"The chosen ones are really qualified. They have gone through various suitability tests," he said when speaking at the Royal Malaysia Air Force base here.

Speaking at a press conference later, Najib said the candidates would undergo training in Moscow either at the end of this month or early next month.

Najib said the government's decision to buy 18 Sukhoi SU-30MKN fighter jets from Russia gave birth to the Malaysia astronaut programme.

To reciprocate Malaysia's purchase, the Russian Government offered a place for a Malaysian astronaut to join the Russian astronauts on the expedition to the International Space Station (ISS) in October.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These are exciting times for my country. The final four have been chosen. It's like a reality TV show, only better.

I have to admit though , I was hoping for

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
That's great news! Will your nation's first astronaut be sent up aboard a Soyuz or a Space Shuttle?

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I couldn't find any article that mentions whether it's gonna be aboard a Soyuz or a Space Shuttle, but since it's the Russian Space Agency that's sponsoring it, my guess is it would be aboard a Soyuz.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
IMHO the first person to space from any country should be a fighter-pilot..
ALWAYS..

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Could you elaborate on why you feel that way, please?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Sorry for the mammoth delay in replying!
I don't frequent much here so...

anyways:
There are quite a few reasons:

1) piloting (joystick control) is a already inherent capability.
2)Physical fitness levels are already at a pre-defined high.
3)Split second decision-making is more honed.
4)Ability to control one's emotions and follow orders is required to a certain extent.
5)Already decently familiar with physics of flight, and the human body's limitations regarding the same.
6)Already comfortable with sitting in cooped-up (some may feel claustrophobic) environments for hours at a stretch and still function efficiently.
7)Basic map-reading and navigating know-how.
8)Will definitely be better equipped (mentally/physically) to deal with a 'first-time' disaster scenario.

top topics

join