It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chef Quits South Park over Scientology Diss

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Say it ain't so Isaac

Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'

NEW YORK — Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

I agree with Matt Stone, this is most likely because of the "trapped in the closet" episode. It's a shame that Hayes isn't really as open minded as I thought he was.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
South Park has always touted itself as being the equal opportunity offender. Isaac is being a overly-sensitive crybaby. Like Mr. Stone said, the guy never had any issues with pokin fun at everything from Blacks, White, Mexicans, Jews, Christians, The Catholic Church, Gays, Mentally Handicapped, etc... Plus the guy has been known for his womanizing songs on the show. He can degrade woman by glorifying them as sex symbols yet we can't poke fun at his "religion?"

A line was crossed alright; A long time ago. Too bad he can be involved in these jokes until they pertain to him. Stone's Jewish and he has been teasing Jews for years. We will miss you.

I dedicate this thread to Isaac "Crybaby" Hayes.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I cant believe it, the show won't be the same without him, I prefer the older series' & the original cast & used to be a huge fan but since the show started introducing new characters I havent been able to keep up with it. I respect Isac's dissision & think he has done a great job over the years but he is right. Some topics are a bit ...... Oh well, I'm sure they'll make a funny episode on a new chef

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I would like to bid farewell to Chef by singing in his honor:

Two tablespoon's of cinnamon,
and two or three egg whites.
A half a stick of butter?. Melted?
stick it all in a bowl baby.
Stir it with a wooden spoon.
Mix in a cup of flour,
you'll be in heaven soon.

Say everybody have you seen my balls
they're big and salty and brown.
If you ever need a quick pick me up
just stick my balls in your mouth.

Oooo suck on my chocolate salted balls
stick em in your mouth, and suck em!
Suck on my chocolate salted balls,
they're packed full of vitamins, and good for you.
So suck on my balls.

Quarter cup of unsweeten chocolate,
and a half a cup of brandy.
You throw in a bag or two of sugar
and just a pinch of vanilla.
Grease up the cookie sheet.
Cause I hate when my balls stick.
Then preheat the oven to three fifty
and give that spoon a lick?

Say everybody have you seen my balls
they're big and salty and brown.
If you ever need a quick pick me up
just stick my balls in your mouth.

Suck on my chocolate salted balls.
Put em in your mouth, and suck em!
there packed full of goodness, high on fiber.
Suck on my balls.

[sniff, sniff, sniff]
Hey, wait a minute.
What's that smell.
Smell like something burning.
Well that don't confront me none.
Long as I get my rent paid on Friday.
Baby you better get back in the kitchen.
Cause I got a sneak'n suspicion.
Oh man baby, baby!
You just burned my balls!
Help me, my balls on fire
????? baby
my balls are burning
give me some water!
Pour some water on me!
my balls are burning
oh my goodness,
I'm blow'n
I'm blow'n
do somethin

Oooo Suck on my chocolate salted balls.
Put em in your mouth, and suck em!
They'r on fire baby!
put em out baby, blow
ohh
Suck on my balls baby
Suck on my balls baby
Suck on my, red hot, salted, chocolate balls
come on baby
woo, woo
suck on my balls.
[blow blow]

The part where the backup singers say "put 'em in your mouth" makes me wet myself.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
hahahahaha hilarity indeed!

Now it's time to be all moral and point fingers... sooon as this check clears...

man I love chef

scientology for the sux!

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
even though I'll miss Chef's character, imo it isn't the end of the world for South Park, as long as they Cartman, the show will continue to rock.

and it wasn't like Chef was playing a major role in all the episodes. real fans will get over the loss soon enough, though those infamous Chef episodes will be classic.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
I dedicate this thread to Isaac "Crybaby" Hayes.

As I recall, South Park has made fun of every religion! And quite expertly, too!
I love South Park. I'm sorry to see the chef leave, but if he (Heyes) wants special treatment, I say "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya."

Bye Chef!

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am still gonna miss that "Hey children. Hows it goin?" "Why bad?"

That and the one where they ask him how to make a pig sized elephant. "Well children, you need the pig and the elephant to make sweet love." "And it doesnt hurt to get them all drunk. But be careful when they wake up. Nobody likes waking up to a smelly pig or a big fat elephant."

Comedic genious, but I am sure the SP boys will find another character to fill the slot. Its not like he wrote the script. He is just a voice.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Out of all the things this show has done, he quits for a Scientology Diss.

OMG........ Thats all, just OMG.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
South Park is an equal opportunity offender imo. Mr. Hayes is certainly within his rights to quit if he feels the show is disrespectfull of his beliefs... not sure how he didn't see this coming though.
Everyone else gets the treatment, why not scientologists?

I imagine they'll keep the chef character and get somebody to do a Hayes impersonation. I would think his voice is easily 'spoofed' for those who do such things. Maybe they'll kill him off in every episode ala Kenny. Maybe he'll go mute and get a sidekick... ala Penn and Teller.

RIP Isaac "
" Hayes... you'll be missed. :w:

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Rren]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It is really sad that Hayes is leaving, but I'm sure they will find someone else with a baritone voice to replace him. I know it won't be quite the same, but they will.

It's really sad that Hayes can't laugh at himself. It's not like Trey and Matt singled Scientology out. They are constantly making fun of everything. They even make fun of stuff that they themselves support. People take themselves way too seriously sometimes.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's ok for South Park to diss every religion out there. But when they get to his, that's crossing the line? I mean come on, does he expect there to be a set of standards for other religions and seperate from the set for scientology? Give me a break!

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The church of Scientology have the poor guy brainwashed, and Im sure in between a rock and a hard place. If you have ever dealt with the L.Ron zobie crew then you would know that they go for the throat and they are not known for playing nice. Especially when someone questions or challenges there religion *cough(cult)cough* They probably put the squeeze on the good chef by threatening to blackball him from the church, or worse. It is hard to believe that the same guy who has contributed to some of the most offensive television in the history of TV has opted out because of a stupid Tom Cruise spoof. Religion has done it again...everyone at once say "thank you religion". It's ok though, he had become a secondary character anyway, they will just replace him with someone even more offensive and outrageous.

Duuuhhhhh....duuuhhhhhh

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
They picked a great way to send him off though. I can't wait to see the second part of last weeks ep.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
oh well
as long as we got cartman i'll be more than ok

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wow, nobody is gonna stick up for scientology here? He could have a very good reason for letting go of South Park Stardom. Such as, an alien told him so? Give the guy a break as he spent a lot of good money for all that secret knowlege that Southpark gave millions of viewers for free........................

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well, I've actually been thinking. It wasn't hypocritical for Issac to be offended.

As much as I think Scientology is a load of BS, the way they made fun of it was different than most of the other religions they made fun of.

South Park didn't blatently say other religions were BS, and say they were fake. It just poked fun at them and didn't mean any bad feelings. But the way they treated Scientology was as if to say "Scientology is BS, its a fake and your an idiot if you follow it.". Therefore Issac wasn't being too hypocritical. It was deliberatly meant to point out that Scientology is a sham.(Which it indeed is, but would still be offensive to a follower of Scientology of course.)

It is indeed sad to see Chef go, and the way they killed him off(sorta) was rather...demeaning.

And the scientology episode was still funny as hell. XD

"Dad, Tom Cruise won't come outa the closet!"

[edit on 28-3-2006 by Kacen]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   

They picked a great way to send him off though

yeah...the way he fell off that cliff and then crapped his pants instant classic

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Yeah, the death was a soft blow after they spent the whole episode dubbing his voice to sound like that of a child molester. I was in awe. He had to see it comming though....crybaby.

If the Pope can deal with the giant queen spider, and the Muslims deal with the whole "Derka derka, Muhammed Jihad" thing...Chef could tolerate a stab at his business...er...I mean religeon.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
If the Pope can deal with the giant queen spider

Or having mentrsal blood shoot out of the ass of a statue of mary onto the pope's face...

The new episode was awesome, they completely dug right into it, rather than laying down. They must've prepared it ad hoc.

Fruity Little Club indeed,

BTW, did anyone notice that they've been 'sneaking in' aliens into shots in the show? How long as this been going on!?

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Nygdan]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join