It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Annoyingly) Blinking Ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Can you remove these from your adlist? I mean the constant blink is really a page wrecker.

The ad I'm refering to is the "Congradulations, You've been selected! Free 42" Plasma TV! Click here to claim!" With a black/white alternating flash background...

First off, I thought ATS was trying to get ads that were more "wanted" and "requested" or something that may pertain to an aspect of our individual lives? This whole "click here and win!" routine isn't a way to go.. most of us here are too smart for that.

New ads please!

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
What kind of fool will click a banner because your the "1,000,000th Visitor" or something.
And who wants a "FREE" smilie.

I peek in on the site from other locations without signing in sometimes and the ads are a bit much. And it's the ones that flash or move that bug me the most.
And yet I want to see ATS be a continuing success, and to do that they need revenue.

I guess we take the good with the bad and hope some balance can be reached.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
And don't forget to mantion the 'Talking Ads'. You know, the one where the smileys talk when your mouse hovers over them....

One day, it was late at night, actually, I got suddenly startled by one of those.

I understand the need for having advertisers here on ats, but on the other hand I would be willing to pay to keep the really annoying ones off.

There, I spoke my peace, now I'm all better that I got that off of my chest.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Or is that ad.

FIREFOX
ADBLOCK
FLASHBLOCK

Take it from there................

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Only reason I made this thread was because the admins of this board often state that if an ad is 'too much', then to say something. I figured since it was more then just 1 ad, I'd start a thread to find concensus.

Shrug.

I'll go shimmy along and install more crap on my computer to block ads.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yes, we definately don't want any super-flashy ads on the site to be causing epillepsy. If ATS puts someone in the hospital, I don't think they'll be coming back

I too am against those talking ads as well. At least we don't have that one with the woman's talking head and the crazy robotic voice. That one has scared/confused the crap out of me on more than one occasion.

And just a bit of a rant, WTF is with that "Kids under 4'9" need a booster seat" one. Is that a law now? I know some adults that are shorter than that!
Stupid.

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The problem is that these ads change their target URL quite often. Each time I block a URL with a flashing add... another shows up.

It would be much more efficient to note the click domain of each banner (adveritsing.com, tribalfusion.com, etc.) and the target URL of the site advertised. Then send me a U2U and I can more easily block it from being displayed.

Simply describing the ad won't work because it will take too long to locate.
We have four providers of banner ads and each provider has over 100 running campaigns at any given time.

And... it seems we need to say this often... if you're enjoying the free and extensive services of ATS, why are some of you blocking our only means of financial support?

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Ironically enough, I got this ad when I viewed the thread:
. The target url on that one is this , which goes to here.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
And... it seems we need to say this often... if you're enjoying the free and extensive services of ATS, why are some of you blocking our only means of financial support?

Although I've turned it off in hopes you guys have switched to a per-impression pay plan instead of per-click (I have yet to find an ad worth clicking--if it's something I want, it'll come up in a google search), the main reason I used to block the ads was because there's no sense in wasting someone's bandwidth and slowing down my page loads.

Personally, I don't care how great a website it may be linked to, a banner ad or sponsored link just seems like a tacky way of advertising to me. About the only ones I've ever thought were interesting at all were some Orbitz had going for a while that were games you could play--I'll never use Orbitz, and the ads didn't affect that in any way, but it was a good way of killing time.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
All I know is that somebody owes me:

- 10 42" plasma TVs
- 38 Ipods
- 53 Motorola phones

Could one of the admins or mods please expedite the delivery of these items to me. You can U2U me for 'ship to' address confirmation.

Thanks a bunch!

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I still like the fart button the best.

A fat Brad pit, before he became real sexually active

And take a shot at Bush.......My favorite one. For those who are "keeping an eye" on ATS, there is a picture of Bush, you see, and if you manage to hit him you win something.
Not my fault.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Just out of curiousity, I wonder what it would take, per month, to run this place, with NO ads. I'd be curious to know what the absolute minimum would be per member to have such a thing. I mean hell, could we do it for $1 per month per member? $3? $5 even?

If so, count me in
Those ads annoy the heck outta me, too. If it was really cheap like a buck a month, would be curious to see what would happen if you put it up to membershipwide vote. But then again, curiousity killed the cat...never mind.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think that like all good things, ATS should be a free service to get the info out to the masses. I also think a "Premium" version of the site would be okay though. Make the basics (The forums) all free, but stuff like podcasts, etc you could charge for. I guess even avatars, etc could be premium-only.

Or you could just make premium an ad-free version.

top topics

join