It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother is getting closer.... real exeperience related to... not just a pizza...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I ran into this somewhere on ATS not too long ago, but for the life of me I can't find where I saw it. I couldn't remember if it was in a thread or a signature.

This is from ACLU, not just a pizza. If you listen and watch, it is scarry. The operator knows everything about the man trying to order the pizza.
www.aclu.org...

I just called up Wells Fargo, with whom I had some credit with. I paid off the account, and just wanted to cancle. The operator at the end of the line said that would be no problem. Right after that, she said wait a minute our records show that you are a homeowner. I told her I'm sorry I'm not a homeowner, I'm a renter. I am renting. Here I didn't think to ask her how or why they would have that information on their records. I wish I did.

On the credit app there was not a place for homeowner or renter. I know Wells Fargo finances homeowners, but this is going a little too far. I neither told them I was, nor asked them for any information on financing a home. It is one thing to put an ad in their recorded message that people listen to while waiting, but quite another for the customer service rep to say wait our records indicate that you own your home. I'm not sure if she said indicate or show, to me it is like saying the same thing.

It is just a little scary about how she said wait, our records show you own a home, and then remembering the pizza thing that was put up by the ACLU. I honestly hope it doesn't go in that direction, but I just experienced a step towards it.

Edited to make it more consistant and trying to stick to the main idea.

Moderators, please move this post to the correct board. I got mixed up and thought this one was for website related items meaning anywebsite out there, not just sticking to this website. Sorry.

[edit on 13-3-2006 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about. The personal information found on the internet is so mixed with errors as to render it nearly useless.

Case in point -- an internet search on me listed the correct street address in the wrong city. The given zip code neither matched my real address nor the wrong city. It listed previous addresses in cities I have never visited, several with addresses that do not exist. It listed jobs I have never held, and the erroneous job locations did not match the cities I supposedly lived in at the same time (the commute from Texas to Iowa every day was a real drag!
). It listed an honorable discharge from the Army (wrong service). Frighteningly, it showed an arrest and several traffic citations that did not exist (but missed a couple of real ones
).

I check my credit reports and social security account on a regular basis, and nothing amiss shows up, so I know this is not from identity theft.

So I personally do not fear the internet. Anyone who tries to use my personal information for any illicit purposes is going to waste a lot of time chasing down dead ends.

[edit on 13-3-2006 by dave_54]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hi dave, I hear what your saying. There is alot of false information on the net. A company that big would use information directly from the net though. I just wonder where their information was coming from.

Also, how would you go about checking your social security account? I have checked my credit reports, which are fine and show the correct information.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
...Also, how would you go about checking your social security account? I

I access it through work 2-3x per year.

You should be getting annual summaries mailed to you.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

This is from ACLU, not just a pizza. If you listen and watch, it is scarry. The operator knows everything about the man trying to order the pizza.

This is fake though, its a creation showing what can be, no?

Here I didn't think to ask her how or why they would have that information on their records.

??? You personally gave them permission to check all your credit accounts, bank accounts, and things like real-estate (usually because of mortgages on them) and the rest.

On the credit app there was not a place for homeowner or renter.

When you apply for credit, you give them the infromation that they need in order to actually check your credit-worthiness.

I know Wells Fargo finances homeowners, but this is going a little too far.

Every credit card, loan, car-lease, etc etc that you have ever applied for was given these permissions. Its not too far, you gave them permission to check your standing, in exchange for a line of credit.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   

I ran into this somewhere on ATS not too long ago, but for the life of me I can't find where I saw it. I couldn't remember if it was in a thread or a signature.

www.aclu.org...

I just called up Wells Fargo, with whom I had some credit with. I paid off the account, and just wanted to cancle. The operator at the end of the line said that would be no problem. Right after that, she said wait a minute our records show that you are a homeowner. I told her I'm sorry I'm not a homeowner, I'm a renter. I am renting. Here I didn't think to ask her how or why they would have that information on their records. I wish I did.

On the credit app there was not a place for homeowner or renter. I know Wells Fargo finances homeowners, but this is going a little too far. I neither told them I was, nor asked them for any information on financing a home. It is one thing to put an ad in their recorded message that people listen to while waiting, but quite another for the customer service rep to say wait our records indicate that you own your home. I'm not sure if she said indicate or show, to me it is like saying the same thing.

It is just a little scary about how she said wait, our records show you own a home, and then remembering the pizza thing that was put up by the ACLU. I honestly hope it doesn't go in that direction, but I just experienced a step towards it.

Edited to make it more consistant and trying to stick to the main idea.

Moderators, please move this post to the correct board. I got mixed up and thought this one was for website related items meaning anywebsite out there, not just sticking to this website. Sorry.

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy? Maybe she just made a freaking mistake and got you mixed up with somebody you ever thought about that?

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Nygdan they get permission to check my credit report to see if I qualify. That should not extend to every employee and customer service personnel they have. I have seen the credit report, and the credit report does not say whether a person owns or rents a place. It just tells where the person lives and has lived in the past. The customer service rep shouldn't have known whether or not I own or rent.

Kamikaze X that type of "freaking mistake" can cause major problems especially with all the identity theft going around. I was already been accused of "being someone else" when a telephone company claimed I owed a bill when I didn't. It was a major pain in the neck to get it taken care of.

My mom almost had her bank account cleared out because of that type of mistake. She changed banks fairly quickly though. Not to mention I went and checked my credit report just to make sure a morgtage wasen't attached to my name. The last thing I need is to have a mortgage payment in my name that isn't even mine because someone got mixed up.

One this person shouldn't have access to information they don't need. Two how do I know this person didn't have access to more personal and private information that they could have used for identity theft? Three how do I know this information is not going to be used against me somehow in the future like in the ACLU fake call? Our credit reports and scores already dictate our future as far as getting credit and/or a loan. How much further are they going to push that line? How much more control do they want over you?

Systems are already in place to create major databases of what you buy and where you buy it. K-mart was collecting zip codes from every shopper. The cashiers were asking everyone their zip, and would not go further until you gave them a zip. If the databases are all put together from the grocery stores, and retail stores then corporations will be able to set something up like the ACLU.

You don't want to get tracked, then use cash without using any type of discount card. How easy is that any longer? You have large amounts of cash, and people start to get suspecious.

We are already headed towards a cashless society. Many people who are fighting for privacy are fighting against the possibilities that could easily happen such as what the ACLU has shown. My experience was too much like the ACLU fake call in that the customer service rep tried to do a back end sale, oh wait a minute, based of information they had. Exactly what other information did they have sitting in front of them on their screen?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Yeah, most of the information is useless. One needs intuition in order to track someone down. I can do it with the help of advanced Googling, phone registry, online map-services, national automobile registry, forums and blogs and IRC transcripts, tax reviews, and aerial photo-maps.
pretty easy

And that's even without getting into the illegal ways.

[edit on 31/3/2006 by Aztecatl]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Nygdan they get permission to check my credit report to see if I qualify. That should not extend to every employee and customer service personnel they have.

It goes into their records though and they can distribute it within their company as they wish. Sometimes that means that there are specialized credit analysts within the company, sometimes it means everyone above a certain 'level' has access to the information.

I have seen the credit report, and the credit report does not say whether a person owns or rents a place.

It will if you have taken out any credit to get or keep that place, like a mortage or housing loans and the like.

The customer service rep shouldn't have known whether or not I own or rent.

Why? You contact the customer service rep to get answers about your service. You also noted that they said you were a homeowner, whereas that was in error and you are a renter. They probably give that information out to their service reps so that they can make you offers to get home loans and such. Indeed, they can even give that information out to third parties, especially very basic information like homeowning and renting. Everytime you get one of those 'pre-qaulified' credit card offers that is what happened.

Not to mention I went and checked my credit report just to make sure a morgtage wasen't attached to my name. The last thing I need is to have a mortgage payment in my name that isn't even mine because someone got mixed up.

That is very smart. Very appropriate action to take, it might very well have been the case. Everyone should check their credit reports occasionally. Infact, I beleive in the US that now you are entitled to one for free each year, and, keeping in mind that there are three or four major credit reporting agencies, that means you can actually get a few each year. And this is the sort of request that doesn't get included on the report (the number of times that your report has been accessed over a span of time is included as one of the datum on the report, but not in this particular free case).

Two how do I know this person didn't have access to more personal and private information that they could have used for identity theft?

They almost certainly did.

Three how do I know this information is not going to be used against me somehow in the future like in the ACLU fake call?

You don't, and it could be, yes, but it isn't used like that now, and there are regulations to prevent that. THe ACLU drama was created as an extreme to provoke a reaction.

Our credit reports and scores already dictate our future as far as getting credit and/or a loan. How much further are they going to push that line? How much more control do they want over you?

I am sorry but, why shoudlnt' this be the case??? IF you want credit, then the people that you are asking for money should be able to check you out, see if you make your payments, see how much money you make each year, for how long you've been getting paid that much, how stable your residency is, how much you have in terms of real estate, etc etc. After all, you (the public and all of us) are asking for a loan from another person.

K-mart was collecting zip codes from every shopper.

A lot more places than just k-mart do this, in fact its very common. Notice, that this isn't very useful 'tracking' information, as if you pay with cash, its just a record of which areas go to which stores. It allows them to say, these four zip codes go to store A, we can create another store in this zipcode that will service it and another one, without loosing customers and money.
And as far as them being able to 'track' you, if you aren't using cash, and are using a card of some sort, them asking for your zipcode when you use it is not just meaningless, but redundant, because you've already associated your purchases with your credit card andall the information that it brings with it.
So them asking for a zipcode isn't really insididious at all, if you are using cash, its just a sample of density of customers, if not, its redundant.

How easy is that any longer? You have large amounts of cash, and people start to get suspecious.

I have never seen anyone have trouble paying people in cash.

Exactly what other information did they have sitting in front of them on their screen?

Quite probably all the information you gave them when you first asked them for a line of credit, which includes all the information on your credit report, which includes any home loans and residences that you have. They have what you gave them.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
of course it will go that way, its inevitable.

i liked that aclu phone call though, its a good example of what will happen

new topics

top topics

join