It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questioning Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I am not the only one to see that Moore was right, that computer power is in fact doubling roughly every 18 months. And as this computer power increases, so does our ability to create new, better and more real, virtual environments.

Technologies like Augmented reality for example are reaching such an advanced level and are predicted to be on sale in shops by around 2020.

3D graphics, the sole means of creating anything and everything "ditigally virtual", will soon become so detailed, so powerful that they will soon become so real, that they will be indistinguishable from reality.

So i guess my question is this: When i can no longer tell the difference with my naked eye, between what is real and that which is not, how can i know for sure that what im seeing is actually there? Because once we reach that point, should we not question whether we've reached that stage before?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There's two reasons for why this couldn't/likely wouldn't happen, and why it does matter.

The first is that our universe is insanely complex. When you move your hand, the most amazing amounts of information are processed and computed - not just by the neurons in your brain, but by the atoms themselves that are involved in the movement. Molecules, atoms, chemicals, electrons, etc... all behave in such complex forms and in such great numbers that not only would it take a computer of near infinite computing power (a quantum computer the size of sun perhaps) to perform all the complex workings every moment of every moment that passes by, but it would also take an insane programmer to actually make sure everything works.

Think about it, if a chemical reaction is the result of the electrons in one set of atoms jumping to another set of atoms, and pulling their respective nuclei with them, to form new molecules that have entirely different properties all of their own, how much stuff happens? Not just sheer numbers wise, but complexity wise. And we still haven't actually found out exactly what's at the heart of it!

So, if this is all computer-generated, even assuming that there's just a few equations at the very root of things, no one would be able to predict how this virtual reality of ours would evolve - and thus what we are capable of. In this universe, we are free.

Then, even if someone did create the universe, say God, on a computer program - what does it matter? You're still living your life, no? It may only be "1's and 0's" but it's still your life nonetheless, and you got to make due with it as best you can. Hell, even if this isn't "the matrix", your brain still functions on 1's and 0's in the form of a neuron "Firing" or "Not Firing".

In the end, reality is what you percieve it to be. It may not be "real", but it's as close to "real" as you're going to get.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

It may only be "1's and 0's" but it's still your life nonetheless, and you got to make due with it as best you can. Hell, even if this isn't "the matrix", your brain still functions on 1's and 0's in the form of a neuron "Firing" or "Not Firing".

Ooo i like that
, I think, therefore i am, regardless of the nature of the construct i inhabit

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
When I was reading Descartes in high school, I started questioning reality, what it is, is it real, etc. He had these ideas hundreds of years ago,..... before machines like computers could even be imagined. How do you know that what you think is real right now, really IS real? You simply can't possibly tell whether you yourself are real. Do you feel real? Do the things around you feel real? Would it change anything (would you feel any different) if you knew? What if we are living in that "stage" right now? What if we'll create a reality, within a reality, within a non-reality? (I may have just completely confused myself by the way.
). You can't go on and drive yourself crazy with these sort of thoughts. If once you can't tell that you're living within a program, as long as you enjoy and learn from that life, I say it doesn't matter whether it is real or not. That's just my opinion of course.
Yarium has some interesting points.

EDIT: You just gave me an idea. What if in the future we will live in a matrix-like world, except the machines or people giving us life-support (while our consciousness is living in a dream world) are not "bad"? What if we are thrown together into different kinds of worlds, such as living in the past (as many as 1000 years ago), or living in the "future"? What if we can choose to live in a magical world of dragons, fairies, magicians, and so forth? Or an alien world? Just throwing out some thoughts.

[edit on 15-3-2006 by 2manyquestions]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
hmmm....A thought did occur to me. We have the sims right? Well what is the sims except a simulation of ourown reality. Granted it's extremely simplistic.

But say in 2000 years, when we have infinite processing power and computer capacity, to create an accurate representation of right now, maybe for historical purposes, you just log in and off it plays, a simulation you can enter, and take part in, especially when THIS technology develops.

OR perhaps (just to confuse you more) everything you see here, is just a training program, maybe its really the year.....6000, and we've found its more efficient to teach people life skills by plugging them into an artificial world, where several lifetimes can be experienced in only a few minutes.

OR!!! maybe not for learning, maybe its just for fun! The new TV, is being a different person for a day. I have my "memories" of last week, last month, last year, but theyre just implanted temporarally, pay 20 dollarios and be george washington for the day, or neo, or for mere appreciation, be a homeless person for a day. Maybe in a few seconds, after reading my post, you'll wake up in the arcades, and you'll see me, still plugged in after paying a little more than you.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
hmmm....A thought did occur to me. We have the sims right? Well what is the sims except a simulation of ourown reality. Granted it's extremely simplistic.

But say in 2000 years, when we have infinite processing power and computer capacity, to create an accurate representation of right now, maybe for historical purposes, you just log in and off it plays, a simulation you can enter, and take part in, especially when THIS technology develops.

OR perhaps (just to confuse you more) everything you see here, is just a training program, maybe its really the year.....6000, and we've found its more efficient to teach people life skills by plugging them into an artificial world, where several lifetimes can be experienced in only a few minutes.

OR!!! maybe not for learning, maybe its just for fun! The new TV, is being a different person for a day. I have my "memories" of last week, last month, last year, but theyre just implanted temporarally, pay 20 dollarios and be george washington for the day, or neo, or for mere appreciation, be a homeless person for a day. Maybe in a few seconds, after reading my post, you'll wake up in the arcades, and you'll see me, still plugged in after paying a little more than you.

And maybe when we "die", we're just coming out/exiting the program.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
LOL exactly my thoughts. Like the film "13th floor", even though i didnt really like it that much but ah well.....

It would annoy the hell outta me 2 have a stupid spinning diamond over my head all the time

top topics

join