It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euro version of Total Information Awareness system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 10:24 PM
link   
It seems that the US is not the only place that is hot to destroy individual freedoms and freedom of privacy....

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - A database used at the EU�s borders is raising concerns over how much sensitive information it will hold about citizens and the increased number of people who may have access to it.

The database, known as the Schengen Information System(SIS), was conceived eight years ago as a compensatory measure for lifting the internal borders within the EU (except the UK and Ireland).

It is accessed at border posts and other locations and allows officials to retrieve information quickly on missing persons, arrest warrants, false passports and stolen vehicles.

www.euobserver.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Scary stuff, indeed, DR; this extract from your link in particular: "Amongst the new functions currently proposed in SIS II, due to start operating in 2006, are the inclusion of biometric data (fingerprints, facial images) and access to certain categories of information by Europol - created to improve police cooperation between the Member States to combat terrorism and other serious forms of international crime - and Eurojust - which facilitates coordination among Member States' judicial authorities."

I mentioned something along these lines in one of Crayon's threads : Crayon's Big Brother Bar Thread

Heard on the Danish news, that entry in to the US would no longer be possible after Sep.26th 2004, without crudentials containing (some) biometric information. (Confirmed here: Danish Police Homepage (in Danish, though))

Couldn't find any offical US confirmation on it, but came across this: From US State Dept.. That Chimera system sound pretty much like the idea behind the EU version, SIS II.

Dang, it is really getting more and more a 1984 kind of place, or a more recent movie analogy; Gataca.

Someone here has a signature that goes something like: If you sacrifice freedom for security, you deserve neither. Some US President appearently said that once. I agree.

just my $0.02

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I am in that database already, third world citizen living in Austria. I cant do a damn thing without it being noted in Database. Everytime I cross austrian border they check my data to see if I am allowed to go in our out. Its funny how one can get used to it, I dont even think about it.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by operatoreleven
Europol - created to improve police cooperation between the Member States to combat terrorism

Eurojust - which facilitates coordination among Member States' judicial authorities."

Europol... "eurojust" "freedom act" "patriot act" "enduring freedom".

Have you noticed how all these titles say one thing but the hidden purpose is exactly opposite?

Microsoft, AOL, McDonalds, NSA and DAPRA, and William's ATS endorosment (deny ignorance - as said by a hardcore sceptic) they all have same fishy flavour

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
I am in that database already, third world citizen living in Austria. I cant do a damn thing without it being noted in Database. Everytime I cross austrian border they check my data to see if I am allowed to go in our out. Its funny how one can get used to it, I dont even think about it.

Are you talking about that SiS card ?

Anyway, I don't understand. I thought Austria was part of the EU, and when you left a EU country to another one, they don't ask you anything since there is no internal borders between the EU.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I sohould have made it more clear. I come from bosnia, third world country, but I live in Austria now, and I still dont have austrian citizenship. When I leave Austria and go to non-EU country or when I come back to Austria from non-EU, I have to go through screening. Its not a regular passport check, our papers are always scanned with a computer. Some non-EU citizens dont go thorugh that, like people from chech republic, slovakia or slovenia for example. Also if I want to go to EU country from Austria by plane, train or bus i cant purchase the ticket without showing ID. If ID says EU country, then you can simply by the ticket without any record of your name, but if it says non-EU than they take your data. Its a way of keeping track of imigrants in EU ( together with registration of your place of residence at the police station, you cant do anything without that small piece of paper) Of course, not all train or bus stations follow this, they often ignore it.

I still dont have that card, btw.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Freeman: *LOL*, fishy. Yeah, true though, about the deceiving titles.

Ultra_Phoenix: First time I've seen a SIS card! The chip looks like the ones in mobile phones (SIM cards)?! Makes me think of all the fraud and tweaking with GSM phones today, surely it must be possible to mess with the info on that chip? Yeah, well, probably encrypted as f**k!

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 03:25 AM
link   
operatoreleven,

It's not a SIM card.It"s the same chip as you have on your credit card.

I need that card when I go to hospital, clinics, doctors, drugstore and so on....But I don't need it when I leave my country or Europe.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Isn't this just a way to uncover the Echelon system?

new topics

top topics

join