It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

furture of the SA80

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Why is H&K starting to use gas operated weapons like thier new MG based on the FN Minimi?

Im asking this becouse they always used to use the Blowback operation in thier weapons which i prefer becouse the barrel is easier to clean and maintain and there is more power in bullets penortration

Heres some of my favourite guns using Blowback Operation

FAMAS
securityarms.com...

CETME Rifles
securityarms.com...

CETME Ameli
securityarms.com...

HK G3/G41
securityarms.com...

HK21/23
securityarms.com...

MG42/3
securityarms.com...

Browning M1919A4
securityarms.com...

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Browno]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
Why is H&K starting to use gas operated weapons like thier new MG based on the FN Minimi?...

Hk has been building gas operated weapons for 10 years now, they arent "starting" to do this - by now Hk offers MORE gas operated than blowback operated rifles and MPs

Basically gas piston weapons are cheaper and less complicated to build, and the roller delayed blowback system tends to be a bit ammunition sensitive afaik.

Furthermore the MG4 is NOT based on the Minimi, where did you get this idea from?

[edit on 14/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Found these sites.

matrix.dumpshock.com...

Out of all operations, I find the Blowback the best , I mean the Browning Machine gun/SMG type, How is the gas operated ones cheaper and easier to make? Compare it with the Blowback Operation on this site.
science.howstuffworks.com...

science.howstuffworks.com... Technology

Well thats the type of Blowback Operation i mean since it is so simple and powerful, For some reason it is only used in pistols, MGs, and SMGs.

Lonestar, This is the one i mentioned being descended from the FN Minimi, The MG 43
securityarms.com...

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Browno]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
Found these sites.

matrix.dumpshock.com...

Out of all operations, I find the Blowback the best , I mean the Browning Machine gun/SMG type, How is the gas operated ones cheaper and easier to make? Compare it with the Blowback Operation on this site.
science.howstuffworks.com...

Well thats the type of Blowback Operation i mean since it is so simple and powerful, For some reason it is only used in pistols, MGs, and SMGs.

Browning machine gun? If you are referring to the BAR, that one is gas piston operated. The M2 Browning Heavy Machine Gun however is recoil operated - neither of both uses the blowback technique.

The reason why the simple blowback is only used in "smaller" weapons is stated in the text of your link: since the case is extracted while there is still a good deal of pressure in the chamber and barrel, the cartridge case could crack when used with high-powered (rifle) loads. Something that isnt TOO good while the case is still inside the weapon

I don´t know the exact details regarding the Hk switch from the roller delayed blowback to the gas piston - a delayed blowback operation isn´t necessarily more complicated, but the Hk roller system was. For example the gas operated HK UMP is lighter and about 1/4 cheaper than the MP5 was while using a lot more modern materials. It has to do with the original CETME roller system.

Lonestar, This is the one i mentioned being descended from the FN Minimi, The MG 43
securityarms.com...

I know which MG you meant. The text however has the old name of MG-43. The new name is MG4 (well, not sooo new, its been around for a while now), because that is the designation given to it by the german Bundeswehr (comparable to the G36 whose name was HK50 until it got dubbed G36 by the Bundeswehr), and if you take a look at the Hk website you can see that it is called there MG4 as well. In any case this weapon is not a descendant of the FN Minimi, it is a "sideline" to the G36 family of weapons.

[edit on 14/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSilentProtagonist
Yeah its had its creases ironed out with the A2 model. I agree its certainly accurate, especially the LSW variant. The susats sights great. That and its bayonet are its best features imo!

still butt ugly though. And bullpups suck
the G36E looks the busniess
world.guns.ru...[/url]

Why is it however that the SAS, when pictured (which seems to happen more and more for an alledgly reclusive special force) always seem to prefer using the M16 on operations? that certianly seemed the case during the first gulf war.
the M16 served well under trial during the jungle and desert campaigns of the 60/70s. It was light reliable and fairly rugged. The A1 went under trials. It was not light reliable and fairly rugged. One weapon had proven its worth in the daily rigorous conditions the SAS operated in so they stuck with it. The added weight was also a huge issue. Every lb counts when you are carrying your life on your back and around your waist. They will still use it from time to time when working alongside the green army (to keep up the appearance if necessary) and use it a lot more efficiently too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join