It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS Movie Reviews

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Anytime I go to the movies, or rent a movie I try to find some reviews on it and see what other people had to say about it. So I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread dedicated to reviews on movies. Now we could all go to Movies.com and read some their, but its always interesting to see what the members of ATS have to say about them.

Some simple rules:

Do Not Post ignorance and say how bad a movie was, Without backing up your response.

Try not to post your opinion on movies you have not seen, if you do post an opinion, Make it Clear you have not seen the movie yet.

I would really like to keep this organized and orderly. This is not meant for strong debates, it is merely an area where a member can find some member opinions on new or old movies. Feel free to disagree, just keep it respectful and always support your opinions.

I'll begin the first review with, Walk the Line

Walk the Line

I deffinately thougth this movie was oscar worthy for Best Picture. Phoenix and Witherspoon in it were remarkable. Neither of them could carry a note before the making of this movie, and afterwards have a solid record released for the movie.

I enjoyed the honest portrait they showed us of Johnny, and of Cash. His split personality reeked havoc on his life for a long time, and the bond between him and June was strong enough to overcome this.

From start to beginning, you could see Cash evolve into the talent the whole world knows him to be.

Members.. Agree, Disagree?

Feel free to post your own reviews on a movie you have seen recently.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Saw 1 & 2

Personally I thought these movies were absolutely amazing. Intense psycological thrillers that have you on the end of your seat until the end. This is the best horror flick to come along since Scream and its sequal is ten times better than that Craven came up with. It has a third installment of the series set for Oct 27/06 release.

What I enjoy the most of these movies is how they are tightly tied together. The second one picks right up from the first one and really ties it together. This is very important in movies that are trying to make a run.

I watched the first one again last night for the first time in awhile, and caught alot of things I never picked up until seeing the second one.

The acting could be considered sketchy at points, but since when does the success of a horror movie hinge on its acting. I am not saying I thought it was terrible, but deffinatly not the best I have ever seen.

Be sure to watch the first one before you hit the sequal.

Highly Recommended!

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Once upon a Time In The West.

Okay watched this last night on special edition DVD

Firstly I am a HUGE fan of the director Sergio leone and the magnificant sound track by Ennio Morricone.

Many and me included say that this is the finest example of a western ever made, as well as being in maybe my top five of favourite movies of all time.

Basicly it is a story of revenge, a railrod magnate named Morton hires a bunch of killers led by a character named Franck who is played by Henry Fonda, who wipe out a rancher and his family before his new bride played by Claudia Cardinale arrives, who inherits the farm , a vicsous outlaw named Cheyene and the Harmonica man played by Charlie(no dice )Bronsan protect the widow from morton and from Franck although for differant reasons .

The thing that stands out for me as highlights in this film are the brilliant opening sequence a shoot out paying homage to the fistfull of dollars trilogy,(in fact looking at the booklet with the DVD in fact Sergio Leone wanted Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach to play the 3 gun men at the station waiting for harmonica man ,how ever Eastwood said no)

and the score from Morricone ,Iloved his work on the dollar series but this is brilliant,each character has a distinct sound track to a tee ,its fabulous and the harmonica mans mourfull playing on his harmonica is quite chilling and apt for the character.

Surely This film is the best western of all time ,and coming from a big fan of Clint Eastwood that is high praise
it is an epic well cast with a wonderful score,opinions?

Chissler hasn't mentioned a rating system but I give this film 10/10, if you have not seen it go and seeit ,if you have watch it again.

*Also I think its Bronsans best work too,I dont rate him but he gets this role nailed

[edit on 13-3-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah Buck we should deffinately have a rating system to really narrow down where the movie lies in your own opinion. I would say anything from 1-10.

John Q

This is deffinately one of my favorite movies of all time. I love a movie when the bad guy, really is not the bad guy. This one is a real test of a mans emotion, I am sure a few big tough guys would shed a tear or two during this movie.

This is an easy 10/10 for me, one of Denzel's best of his career. This is one of those movies that are absolutely amazing, but win no awards or recieve no nominations.

Highly Recommended!

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ok, first of all,I want to mention this is my first review of a movie,so bear with me.

I would first like to say this is an excellent movie considering it's a remake. The story isnt that great. It's just a famlily heading to california. Then they get to a gas station,and the attendant tells them to take a certain road, he say's it's a "shortcut" But on the road their car gets wrecked by some mutants. This is where it's starts getting bloody! The acting in my opinion was pretty solid, the action well spread thoughout the movie,and the gore plentiful and quite shocking. It is also pretty much like the original,but a few changes that doesnt seem to hurt the film. Grusome movie fans will love this movie,I highly recommend it, i give it a 9/10!!!!!

[edit on 19-3-2006 by cheesy2006]

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
16 Blocks

Seen this movie last night, it Stars Bruce Willis as an over the hill, drunken cop who has to get an inmate 16 blocks to face a grand jury to testify. It started alittle slow for me, but in the end I was absolutely blown away. The relation ship between Willis and Mos Def who also stars begins to get stronger and stronger throughout the movie, and really this is what makes the movie so good.

Its another action cop movie, but the main theme of this movie has to be the friendship that is bonded in the strangest of situations. When the movie ended I was ready to stand up and just clap.

and 10/10

Highly Recommended

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
16 Blocks

Seen this movie last night, it Stars Bruce Willis as an over the hill, drunken cop who has to get an inmate 16 blocks to face a grand jury to testify. It started alittle slow for me, but in the end I was absolutely blown away. The relation ship between Willis and Mos Def who also stars begins to get stronger and stronger throughout the movie, and really this is what makes the movie so good.

Its another action cop movie, but the main theme of this movie has to be the friendship that is bonded in the strangest of situations. When the movie ended I was ready to stand up and just clap.

and 10/10

Highly Recommended

Not seen this one Chissler , i must say i am a fan of Willis, i suppose he has become a little typecast in his role as action/comedy cop, but he doesn't turn out many bad movies does he ? im gonna look this one out ,and for my next review just for the sake of balance i think im gonna review a real stinker of a film, ive got just the thing in mind .

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Yeah I find myself more willing to review a movie I enjoyed, can't seem to easy to please though. I'll brainstorm a few stinkers myself and come up with something.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Lord of War

Ok a quick background, it stars Nick Cage and Jared Leto as 2 brothers who spend their life as gun runners. I thought this movie had alot of promise and really should of been a 10. But they tried so hard at making a political statement, they failed at actually making a movie with a storyline, and came up short on the political statement.

This is the same style of movie as the Constant Gardener, only they actually made a very strong statement and the hollywood aspect of it was well put together.

I was very dissapointed in this film and thought it could of been done much better.

I'll go
and a 7.5/10

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Lord of War

Ok a quick background, it stars Nick Cage and Jared Leto as 2 brothers who spend their life as gun runners. I thought this movie had alot of promise and really should of been a 10. But they tried so hard at making a political statement, they failed at actually making a movie with a storyline, and came up short on the political statement.

This is the same style of movie as the Constant Gardener, only they actually made a very strong statement and the hollywood aspect of it was well put together.

I was very dissapointed in this film and thought it could of been done much better.

I'll go
and a 7.5/10

I liked this one , very slick , well acted, very cool,and nice cinematography , do agree on the message it was trying to put accross ( i mean is a 15 year old kid gona see this and think i know ill become a international gun runner) we all know its a bad thing to do so dont ram it down our throats .ill give it a 8.5/10 .

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino star in this horror movie classic. The story is about two brothers who are fugitives and kidnap a family to have them cross the border. Then they stop at a local stripper joint. Here they have some fun with the family after a clean get-away, they are attacked by vampires. This movie is very gory and quite disturbing to me. The first half of the movie is their crimes, then the last half is the vampires attacking them. I feel this movie is well acted,with a good cast. I really like this movie,i'll give it a 9/10.*A WARNING TO ALL,HAS A LOT OF NUDITY!*

[edit on 3/20/06 by cheesy2006]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesy2006
The first half of the movie is their crimes, then the last half is the vampires attacking them.

I tried to watch this movie once, but couldn't get through the first half of the movie. It is extremely, extremely boring. The second half of the movie might make for it but I'll never know. It was just too painful to watch.

If you want to see a good movie that includes truck-stops, and out of the way places, watch Joy Ride. 3 young people on a "joy ride" play around with a truck-driver's mind and ending up finding out that the guy is a complete nut-job. What's good about this movie is the "it could happen to you" story. There's nothing out of the ordinary about the settings or plot. Nothing that tells you that this is just a make-believe movie. The real-life plot will have you scared to pick up a cb, stay in out of the way hotels, or mess with a truck driver. It gets a 8/10

"Candy-cane....come in Candy-cane"

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates watch Joy Ride.

I have already seen this movie,very excellent!

[edit on 3/21/06 by cheesy2006]

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Reviews for the movies I watched Last night...

Jarhead

Gyleenhaal and Fox star in this movie which takes a group through their stint in Desert Storm. The acting in this movie is top notch, very realistic and accurate portrayal in my opinion. Anyone who is a fan of an army movie, this is deffinately a movie you should take the time to watch.

Highly Recommend this movie!

9/10

Dreamer

Kurt Russel & Dakota fanning star in this one. I loved this movie, great family movie and really inspiring. David Morse is the semi-bad guy in the movie and is great in another movie. This one will have you on ups and downs from start to finish. Dakota really is the star of this movie, and if you change her charachter with any other actor/actress, the movie really would not be as good as it turned out.

10/10

Derailed

Jennifer Aniston and Clive Owen star in this thriller with alot of twists. Half way through this movie I was growing alittle frustrated, but by the end of it I was literally blown away. I would take Dreamer over it, but this movie really surprised me. It was my girlfriends choice of the night, and it really turned out to me better than I imagined. This is one of those movies you really need to give a chance, and it will Not dissapoint you.

9.5/10

Good Night & Good Luck

George Clooney had oscar buzz around this movie for the last while. I have been waiting patiently for my opportunity to finally get to watch it and I can honesty say I am very dissapointed. It actually put me to sleep. Probably not fair to give it a a bad rating without seeing it all but thats just what I am doing.

4/10

top topics

join