It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The site has become to congested.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It has. This isn't the site first registered at. Sure my point count is low, but I have been lurking for over two years and have had my fair share of "debates" with moderators, and on one occasion, an administrator via U2U.

Now, when I visit the site, I see ads (google ads which really don't interest me), large placeholder's for various things (the only one that interests me is about Vahall (sp) going on the air) and pops ups. Pop ups about smileys.

Even at 1280x1024 I can barely see the bored itself initially - this was, and should remain the main attraction. I don't need to see a place holder that takes up 40% of the viewing area that indicates the hot topics.

Also, the boards are becoming too specialized. Where does one post about the U.S. surviellance? Political conspiracies? War on terrorism? What if a mod doesn't interpret what you posted the way you meant for it to be? Moved to political (which IMHO, is a terrible expansion) where no one will read it (well a few, the proud)? This happend to me. I just smiled and nodded.

There are other boards popping up that run parallel to ATS - they are more user friendly.

Tone it down, roll it back. The condesending attitudes, advertisements, and clutter have caused me to dedicate more time to other sites.

Sure, I don't post a lot, but someone has to click on your ads. Right?

[edit on 13-3-2006 by crisko]

[edit on 13-3-2006 by crisko]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
As time passes, the bigger ATS is getting. Each week we have hundreds of new members coming onboard and voicing their opinions, with no cost to any of us. Somebody has to pay for this, and for this I do not object to any of the ads. Yeah they are alittle to get used too, but would you rather make payments or ignore the ads.

I see what your saying about the thread being relocated to an area of ATS you do not wish, as some areas are viewed more than others. But if a mod is unable to determine if the thread is suitable for the location you posted, maybe the thread itself should be reworded.

Very rarely do I run into troubles with the staff, 99% of the time all actions are accounted for.. and in the rare occasion when somebody acted unappropriately, an apology was quick.

With our community here, what else could you ask for?

Comparing ATS today to what it was a few years ago is not exactly realistic. Their goal is to deny ignorance, to do this the board has to expand. With expansion comes all of these problems you speak of.

Its evolution.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I can understand your argument on the ads, sites need to generate revenue. This has and always will be the case. I won't deny that.

And my thread being moved, it happens. Oh well (even though it took me 5 min to find it tiny little tab at the top).

But when I look at cached back-ups (I do that - the US Government likes to yank data) - there was something there.

Put the meat where it belongs - in the forefront.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It's just my opinion.

We all know what people say about those

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Thats the great thing of ATS.. everyone is entitled to their opinion. Glad to see your atleast willing and able to back up what you believe.

ATS has deffinately under gone a huge overhaul. In time it will feel like home again.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
It has. This isn't the site first registered at. Sure my point count is low, but I have been lurking for over two years and have had my fair share of "debates" with moderators, and on one occasion, an administrator via U2U.

Now, when I visit the site, I see ads (google ads which really don't interest me), large placeholder's for various things (the only one that interests me is about Vahall (sp) going on the air) and pops ups. Pop ups about smileys.

Even at 1280x1024 I can barely see the bored itself initially - this was, and should remain the main attraction. I don't need to see a place holder that takes up 40% of the viewing area that indicates the hot topics.

Also, the boards are becoming too specialized. Where does one post about the U.S. surviellance? Political conspiracies? War on terrorism? What if a mod doesn't interpret what you posted the way you meant for it to be? Moved to political (which IMHO, is a terrible expansion) where no one will read it (well a few, the proud)? This happend to me. I just smiled and nodded.

There are other boards popping up that run parallel to ATS - they are more user friendly.

Tone it down, roll it back. The condesending attitudes, advertisements, and clutter have caused me to dedicate more time to other sites.

I'll be honest and say that I kind of agree with much of what you've said here. The balance is not right and it does seem congested.

Generally, when changes have been made to the appearance of the board it's only been a matter of a few days before my eye has accepted it but these latest changes have fundamentally changed the way the site is viewed and therefore used.

My experience with the staff here is that these issues (layout, ads) and changes are constantly under review and member feedback is always a big part in those reviews.

But there are significant advantages to take into consideration by making the discussion board the ATS home page. I just don't know if accomodating so much of the info on the original home page was such a good idea.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

But there are significant advantages to take into consideration by making the discussion board the ATS home page. I just don't know if accomodating so much of the info on the original home page was such a good idea.

Deffinately agree with that statement. I love being directed to the homepage of the board as it does save us all a click everytime viewing the board. However some of the information we have come accustomed to is missing. I enjoyed checking daily at members who recieved Applause, and some of the newer sections do take up alot of space.

But with a board this large, you can not expect to please 100% of its population.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I absolutely love ATS and I think you just have to log in and get into your personal *ATS zone* and not sweat the small stuff. Really.

To be honest, I ignore most of the changes besides a mental appreciative acknowledgement of improvements, but if something isn't as it was and it changes the look or feel for me, I just roll with it.

I go to *MY ATS* to see what's up with my threads and I browse the home page for new items of interests, but the placeholders don't bother me, I don't get a barage of pop-ups (and I am set to allow them) if I am signed in, and of course I can't fault a site for funding itself with adds. I can read them, respond to them or ignore them-no biggie.

it's all just too good to be true here!

(Either that or I've been so mindscrewed by the CIA that I accept anything I am programmed to
)

Admittedly though, I may need ATS rehab as I am addcited these days, but I figure there is worse to be addicted to!

[edit on 13-3-2006 by think2much]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by think2much
I absolutely love ATS and I think you just have to log in and get into your personal *ATS zone* and not sweat the small stuff. Really.

I totally agree with you.

To the OP: How can the board be 'too big', when you can totally customize it to be as big as you want? I never see the front page, because my hotlink brings me right into MyATS. If you're not interested in some things, don't go to that page.

And the admins have said time and time again that the members' posts are what make this board what it is. If you're not posting, to make ATS a better place, and you're just coming in and reading all the info without contributing, I really don't understand complaining about its size or content. Or anything. I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

As regards ads, there is any number of software packages that can make your ATS experience virtually ad-free if they really bother you.

Where does one post about the U.S. surviellance? Political conspiracies? War on terrorism?

If this is a serious question, there are forums titled 'War on Terror' and 'Political Conspiracies'. As far as US surveillance, it could go in one of several places, depending on the specific slant of the story. But, try one. If it's not appropriate, it will get moved.

I sure haven't seen anything even close to comparable to ATS. But if they're out there and more user friendly, maybe they would fit you better. ATS fits MANY people.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yes, Above Top Secret is becoming congested. But the reason for this is readily obvious -- ATS is growing! Growth is what has made ATS a success and continued growth will guarantee that ATS continues to evolve into an even better site.

That said, there are aspects of the site that I don't like. However, these aspects are things that are matters of layout and design. For instance, I don't like, as others have mentioned, the way the "hot topics" and "most discussed threads" rest atop of the boards. But I recognize this as a design and layout "problem". But is this really a problem? I dislike it but others might like it. Only time will tell. But keep in mind that it is obvious that "the Three Amigos" are genuinely putting their "heart and soul" into this site and I am positive that they will respond to the opinions of their membership about this and any aspect of the site that is brought to their attention.

I am certain that we will be seeing many changes to Above Top Secret over the coming months and even years. This is not a stagnant site, it is an evolving one.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Actually the "flashing" ads have another purpose other than just obnoxious attention getting. Stare at them for about 3 minutes and prepare yourself for a trip to a space between gran mal and petite mal. I like to call it mini mal. I love it!! Nothing quite like an epileptic seizure to brighten up an otherwise boring day.

To me the ads really add to the site and I really got a good deal on refinancing my home and the savings on my cell service more than make up for the minor distractions; and let's not forget the fun you can have shooting monkeys, chickens and paparazzi.

I chose to not look at it as visual clutter but as Enterpeneurship at its finest.

Anyone for lemonade?

I especially like the new edit buttons!!!

[edit on 13-3-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
To me the ads really add to the site
...and let's not forget the fun you can have shooting monkeys, chickens and paparazzi.

O! You're supposed to shoot the paparazzi! I keep aiming for that Brad-Pitt looking dude in the front. No wonder I never win.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Someone has to pay the bills that Forums like these have. They may be free to me and you, but they are certainly not free for those who run them... you think all this space for avatars, images, links, chatrooms and all that is paid with what ?

it's the price of progress

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Havent been in for a few days, but the new site look is cool.
The only problem with the advertising at this moment for me is the flashing ones while i am typing.
(hate seeing it out of the corner of my eye...) I for sure dont click on flashing adverts.

Gods Peace

dalen

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
crisko makes some good points. Sometimes it's best to get an evaluation from a newbie as opposed to an old-timer. After all, ATS is trying to attract newbies, aren't they?

The ads are necessary, and as one person put it, entrepeneurship at it's best. But I do miss having the forum moderators listed under the forum titles. I have resorted to bothering one very helpful moderator with all my issues, because he is impartial and can be counted on to respond. Moderator consistency - that's a topic for another day.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Would this work?

Put all the ads in a special section sort of like ATS gear. It could be called ATS mall.

So that when an overwhelming urge to consume something like an online degree, a book about the end of the world, or a pamphlet on Jesus return, we could go to the ATS cyber mall and shop to our hearts content with out being distracted by some "weird" thread. That way we could have even more ads to enjoy and support the sponsors of ATS more fully. Maybe we could have a special chat section where all the shoppers could discuss their purchases and even generate more revenue due to the enthusiasm such a forum would surely generate.

It could be the ATS version of the "Home Shopping Network."

[edit on 13-3-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Alright. I don't post much anymore, but I have to speak up on this subject.

I remember, when the only off topic forum we had was Chit Chat, when bts came along, people bitched and complained, but look at it now, the ats'rs love it.

You see, it takes time to get used to changes, but in the end, its for the best.

-Jared

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sometimes I have to look around to find things, but no biggie. I get no pop-ups from this board, and that to me is the gold. Whatever else, I can get used to, but never the pop-ups!!! A big
to ATS being pop-up free on my PC!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Being a fairly new member to the ats family i have no problem with the site layout.its what initially caught my eye after surfing a few other conspiracy sites.
The next thing that roped me in was the quality of the content, after lurking for a couple of months i just coulcnt help myself anymore, and surely as more and more join, the site is going to have to evolve, i for one love the fact that i can come and spend hours here discussing/debating the things that interest me with like minded folk, and guess what,IT doesnt cost me a CENT.How good is that.
If im in a hurry i just go to myats or my favorites to check out posts, pretty simple really.If im settling in for a big one i'll check out new posts.As for all the different topic threads, hell just add the ones you like to your favorites.

If that means putting up with a few ads(i'll actually go to some of the ad sites occasionally just to help out-Its no big deal) and hey, guess who benefits in the long run.
Imho this place rocks, lets all do our bit to keep it that way!

Cheers
M4S

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well, I have to agree in part with the origonal poster.

While I don't mind the adds for other sites, and the things that help ATS make a profit.

What really bothers me, and what I consider one of the less intelligable additions/changes to the site, was the gian header on the top of the page about the so called "hot" threads.

At first to, I did'nt like the new recent threads thing, it's less organised now, but I've gotten use to it, and more acceptiong of it, even though it's hard to read.

But pretty much like I said above, the one thing I don't like about the current site design is "hot" topics/threads thing on the top of the page.

Also, and this has nothing to do with the thread, something interesting I'd like to point out, alot of the people (myself included) posting on this thread have black mini-profile backrounds.

[edit on 3/14/2006 by iori_komei]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join