It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch is corrupt and unreadable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Onto my next problem...

Like the subject says.... C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch is corrupt and unreadable

Every now n then I get this error bubble next to my clock. Ive tried looking online to sort it out but cant find anything. It says run Checkdisk which ive done but for some reason when I run it, it goes straight to the end and says its unable to run it. Any ideas?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Need more info.
Are you having any other problems?, i.e., generally slow response?, is your hard drive soung a little noisy?, does your computer seem to boot real slow?

And, EXACTLY what are you doing when this error occurs? Can it be duplicated? Or is it a random thing?

[edit on 3/13/2006 by larry994]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I think you can safely delete all the content of C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch directory, including hidden files. Then reboot your computer. This should fix the problem temporarily until the culprit software corrupt a file again.

This directory contains your applications preloading files to speed things up. New files will be created after next boot. You might want make a backup before emptying that directory, just in case things goes wrong.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I was thinking the same thing too. But if it is unreadable, he may not be able to delete? I was thinking along the lines of hd problem, either that some type of infection. If it was me, and if there are not a lot of programs installed, I would reinstall windows. I've done that, but for another problem that I had. Anyway, if you have had it installed for quite some time, your hd becomes cluttered with all kinds of useless, and unused files.

[edit on 3/13/2006 by larry994]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Try Safe Mode and go In as Administrator

In order to boot into Safe Mode just tap on F8 while the system is booting up. It will take you to the Windows Advanced Options Menu

Just select Safe Mode and then your version of windows that is already preselected.

If your unable to delete them in safe mode, its an Windows OS problem. Call 1-800-936-5700 for support.

If your able to delete them in safe mode, its probably a Virus or Spyware problem. Run any scans you have on the system while in safe mode and you could call 1-800-727-2338 for free support from Microsoft with it.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Good job! btw Are you a spokesman for MS? hehe

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Nope the last thing they need is a free spokesman. I do work on a microsoft contract where support is provided for these problems.

I profit in no way from people calling in, its just a service not alot of people know about. I'd much rather nobody call in.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Ok ive managed to get rid of this problem, I tried going into the prefetch folder but it wouldnt allow me too, so I went into safe mode and was able to get in then. I cleared the files in there then did a quick scan disk and spyware check and then booted as normal. Ive not had this error now all today.
The only problem ive got now is for some reason I cant load my virus protection program.. (pc guard ) but it says that ive got virus protection on in security center.. nvm.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Try an online virus scan with Microsoft...

Safety.Live.com

Very simple and efficient scan. May detect a few things the others do not.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I have found numerous examples of spyware, adware, etc. hiding in the prefetch directory. Dump the contents of it and your temp directories; then get a couple of spyware scanners.

NC

top topics

join