It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars surrounded by cacoons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Scientists looking at three rare and radiant pulsating stars have found they each are surrounded by a fairly bright layer of matter, a “cocoon,” that has never before been detected around stars of this kind.

The astronomers think the cocoons form as the stars shed huge amounts of mass at a tremendously faster rate than normal stars like the Sun.

The cocoons are about two to three times larger than the stars and about 4 percent as bright, very bright considering that these pulsating stars themselves are incredibly radiant. One of the enveloped stars is 400 times brighter than the Sun.

Stars surrounded by cacoons, thats crazy!

I wonder how many stars are dimmed to the point that we can't see them.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
No replies? I thought this was pretty cool, it's an entirely different way for matter to form in a solar system. It brings a whole new dimension to how we understand stars.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Geez! I didn't even notice there was a thread about this...

The cocoons only occur around Cepheid variable stars, which are really neat all in thier own. There is a direct relationship between thier period of luminosity (the time it takes for them to go bright to dim and back again) and thier absolute magnitude (how bright the object is from 10 parsecs, or 32.6 light years, distant). This relationship allows for astronomers to find precise distances of objects outside of our galaxy.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
That gives me a great idea for a 1950's Sci-fi movie.

"THE STAR EATING SPACE COCOONS!"

Seriously though its quite confusing, but its true that just when you start to think you've seen everything, the universe taps you on the shoulder and says "im infinite you fool!"

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
civilisations can be given clasifications like type 1 type 2 ect
I read a time ago and there was one of these type was described as capable of creating a cocoon around a star for the use of energy harvesting.

Type II - A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available from a single star, approximately 1026 W. Again, this figure is variable; the Sun outputs approximately 3.86×1026 W. Kardashev's original definition was 4x1026 W.

this cocoon is named a dyson sphere
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
No it's not. We won't be able to see a Dyson Sphere because it would be totally covered. No radiation to detect = nothing detected.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
No it's not. We won't be able to see a Dyson Sphere because it would be totally covered. No radiation to detect = nothing detected.

I think he was just drawing a comparison, not saying that it is/could be a Dyson Sphere.

Besides, any advanced civilization should know that a ringworld would be a much better option.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Ah... ok. It was hard to notice because suddenly we're talking about civilization types. By the way, we're currently a Type 0 civilization right? Unless HAARP really controls the weather, in which case we'd be crossing into the threshold of a Type 1 civ, right?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Ah... ok. It was hard to notice because suddenly we're talking about civilization types. By the way, we're currently a Type 0 civilization right? Unless HAARP really controls the weather, in which case we'd be crossing into the threshold of a Type 1 civ, right?

That's right. Most people say we're at about a Type 0.73 right now. But then again, we've been there for the past 20 years or so.

No, HAARP does not control the weather.

new topics

top topics

join