It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you prefer in a PC?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Lysergic- i love the ATi Radeon cards, I have a 9700 Pro. But what do you mean by that? Be a little more descriptive!

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Pentium IV HP Media Center PC running at 2.5 gigahertz

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I didn't know this was post your system spec thread just thought it asked what do i prefer in a pc?

Must have a decent graphics card for gaming nvidia or ati

I usually buy AMD but my last comp I bought I went p4

looking to buy a new computer soon.

1.7ghz
1024 RAM
40 gig HD
GeForce 3 64mb

can't wait for Rome: Total War

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, Lysergic. Yes, you can post specs or ANYTHING you want about PCs. Please, post what you feel like about PCs!

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I just finished networking my two computers and laptop using Ethernet! WHEW! That took a little while! I'm tired...

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike
I'm glad people are participating in this. This is my first thread i created, and I'm glad its such a success. To Ocelot, you truly rock. I have nothing else to say.

Thank you. I appreciatte it. It was a great topic to start since I love computers. I've been using for as long as I remember. Since like 1986 LOL!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I just finished networking my two computers and laptop using Ethernet! WHEW! That took a little while! I'm tired...

LOL!!! Yeah. I have a small home network too. I have my 3 compputers and laptop all connected to my Wireless Router. All I have to say is Wi-Fi RULZ!!! No cables.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Opinions differ wildly in the hard-drive business. While Seagate supplies hard drives with 160 GB of capacity in the ATA area, Hitachi and Western Digital already have 250 GB disks. They all pale, however, compared to Maxtor's monster, which has a full 300 GB of write space. If you're one of those people for whom "big" isn't big enough, this is the one for you.

Here is the rest of the article
www.tomshardware.com...

OMG!!!! I want 3 for my Storage Server!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The summer is coming to an end and this means that the peak season of computer games is about to start. The chances for an exciting fall and winter time look very good. There are many very interesting titles in the pipeline.

With the beginning of DirectX 9 generation games, many users will find their graphics card at the limit, although it did a good job in DirectX 8 games. But that's not enough for DirectX 9 games if you don't want to lose too much fun in terms of effects and quality. Yesterday, the card's fill rate and memory bandwidth were the most important factors of a graphics card - tomorrow the factor shader performance is becoming a new and increasingly important coefficient.

Here is the rest of the article:
www6.tomshardware.com...

LOL!! I can't wait for this card to go on sale. It kicks the Living Crap outta anything Nvidia has in the majority of tests. I fell sad for people who wasted money buying Geforce FX Cards.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I think you should get the most out of your machine (a year seems too short). Good job, Ocelot.

[Edited on 8-10-03 by prophetmike]

True. I should wait a bit longer between upgrades. Its just when I see new hardware coming out I start getting the itch to upgrade
. But I will probably stick with the next one im going to build for a while before I upgrade again.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
My rig...nothing special....but AMD all the way... now and forever...

AMD XP 2100+
Asus A7V8X
Win XP Pro (Linux sitting in a drawer, silently tempting me to install it)
ATI Radeon 9000 pro 128
512mb pc2700 ddr
pair of WD 40G
DVD rom
32x burner

Air-cooled for now...my water-cooling set-up is sitting in my spare room...yanked it out when I switched motherboards, and haven't got around to installing it again.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rahboni

Air-cooled for now...my water-cooling set-up is sitting in my spare room...yanked it out when I switched motherboards, and haven't got around to installing it again.

I've always wanted to try water-cooling. But I've been to chicken too. I just think that Water+Electronic Equipment = Potential for accidents.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It's actually a breeze to set up. Do all your plumbing, then there is a way to run the pump without turning on the comp. Check for leaks and go.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   

It's actually a breeze to set up. Do all your plumbing, then there is a way to run the pump without turning on the comp. Check for leaks and go.

Hmm Maybe I'll try doing some water cooling on one of my older computers to test it out. If everything works fine I might consider it using it for my new systems in the future.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Here's a link to a forum that answered my questions. I was nervous at first, too...

water-cooling

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Here's a link to a forum that answered my questions. I was nervous at first, too...

water-cooling

Thanx for the link. I'll be sure to read it carefully.

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   
my duronxp 1400 keeps on overheating and it came built on to my motherboard so i am unable to replace the heatsink.. and i have a great heatsink that i was using for my athlon 1.1 Ghz before it stopped working...

i think im going to get a pentium 4.. they have a higher FSB and can find a good motherboard combo for about $150

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
My dad still uses 486's for doing work on.. .he says if they still work why get rid of them...

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheyWatchYouToo
My dad still uses 486's for doing work on.. .he says if they still work why get rid of them...

486's are still good for doing certain tasks. I know plenty of people who still use them. Hell I still have 2 old 486 machines stored in one of my closets that still work. One 486DX2 50Mhz and on 486DX4 100Mhz.

[Edited on 9-10-2003 by Ocelot]

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Remember when 66 mhz seemed blazing?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join