It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Feingold Seeks to Censure Bush

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
In a televised interview yesterday, Democrat Senator Russ Feingold said that he would push for a censure by the Senate of GW Bush for his controversial domestic wiretaps of international telephone calls. Feingold asserts that the President mislead the American people by insisting prior to the disclosure of the program that all wiretaps were carried out by first obtaining court orders. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist calls the censure effort "dead wrong." No US President has been censured since Andrew Jackson was censured in 1834 when Jackson refused to turn over a document to the US Senate. At the time, the censure was unprecedented.

abcnews.go.com
In an exclusive interview on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos," Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold called on the Senate to publicly admonish President Bush for approving domestic wiretaps on American citizens without first seeking a legally required court order.

"This conduct is right in the strike zone of the concept of high crimes and misdemeanors," said Feingold, D-Wis., a three-term senator and potential presidential contender.

He said President Bush had, "openly and almost thumbing his nose at the American people," continued the NSA domestic wiretap program.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This should prove to make next week in the Senate very interesting. While some claim that the wiretapping program is illegal and grounds for impeachment, it would seem that censure would be minor by comparison, though it could signal a step toward impeachment. Thirty Representatives have shown an interest in pursuing impeachment of the President. However, in a recent poll, 54% of respondents said that the controversial program was a legitimate tool in the war against terrorism.

Related News Links:
www.angus-reid.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com
www.usatoday.com
www.opednews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: New law would outlaw anyone revealing US eavesdropping programs

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Big deal this is a none issue. Feingold is running for president and is only saying this so he can get the free press coverage he wants/needs.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Proof, I am not alone in my way of thinking.

Feingold Draws Little Support for Censure

See even the members of congress agree

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Someone needs to try it since the republican controled congress wont. That leaves the democrats,presidential bid or not bush and his cronies need to be reigned in, their behaviour is criminal and more and more people agree everyday....face it all you bush supporters you are a shrinking minority.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is going to go nowhere...all but the most left-wing fringe Dems desperately want to be on the right of Bush on national security (like in the DPW ports deal), certainly not being seen criticizing him for his strong national security policies.

[edit on 3/13/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't like soap operas neither reality shows but I have not problem watching congress getting into each other and putting a good fight.

I can not wait to see where all these is going.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Feingold for President?

And his main platform is "Censure Bush" ...? I could do better. Really.

Maybe Feingold and O'Connor should get together.

Cook up a better slogan.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hi,

This is a clear case of politics at its best.

The good Senator knows that his attempt has absolutely no chance of passing, so one might ask... why would he waste anyone's time with it?

The reason is quite simple. In a few VERY short years (time flies in politics) Candidate Feingold shows dramatic footage in a network aired commercial of him standing on the floor of the Senate standing up for his beliefs when no one else would!

Such a piece would be helpful in primary elections when attempting to explain why Candidate Feingold is a better choice than the other Democrats who did not stand up against Bush as bravely as he did.

[edit on 3-15-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Bush needs more than censure and definately more than about the wiretapping issue....try criminal proscutation for a beginning, for illegal wiretapping, for ignoring the law, for lying his way into an unprovoked war...unfortunately the republicans are not going to stand up to bush, the republicans in congress in 74 had far more cojones than the ones in there they stood up to Nixon, who regretably is looking better and better everyday. Unfortuately the democrats, with the exception of a few, look more and more like jellyfish trying to stand up...God I wish we had a multi party system than this sham.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Sometimes my English isnt that good. What is censure in this context? To shut him up? I am not clear on this. Thankx

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
What is censure in this context? To shut him up?

It is a reprimand, but with no consequences. Kind of a slap on the wrist.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Please help me understand... the Republicans go after Clinton with impeachment for his "relations" with Monica and after everything Bush has done (wiretapping, war under false pretences, etc, etc, etc) and all the Dems can come up with is censure???

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Please help me understand... the Republicans go after Clinton with impeachment for his "relations" with Monica and after everything Bush has done (wiretapping, war under false pretences, etc, etc, etc) and all the Dems can come up with is censure???

The republicans are in the majority in both houses and the democrats don't have the votes to do anything about it. If the democrats had more spine (a great problem these days, they are more colabrationists than an opposition) and the republicans more moral fiber and a greater love of country than party and power (like 74 when Nixxon was run from office) then something might be done, alas I am daydreaming again. We are in the fading days of our republic, soon it will become like the Roman Senate under the Imperators...a good old boys club with no power whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I wish the democraps around the US and on this board would leave President Bush alone.

What he does, he does for the good of a nation.

He ordered a war to take down a murderer, he wire taps to listen to whiney little traitors plotting a terrorist act, and then they bitch about the fact that they weren't able to plan the attack because of an illegal tap? Come on people, maybe you would rather have a snivvling little left o'crap running the show, but then again you would need to learn Arabic or Farsi 'cause the policies held by a certain party would more than invite an occupation of the United States of America.

Here is a good response for you folks to read over.

I responded to a thread about President Bush being in power for life...

Bush as our president FOREVER?

We could only hope!

Show me someone else that will take the terrorism battle to the enemy.

Clinton, didn't
Cheney, no
Gore, don't get me started
Fiengold, no
Kerry, what a joke

It is sad but true that come the next election our beloved GWB will not be able to run again. ( The entire world needs to pay special attention to this special man and learn a thing or two )

The only hope we have of continuing our reign of power and military superiority is that we elect Jeb Bush and let his big brother and George SR run things from behind the scenes.

Oh what a glorious time that will be for us all, as a nation and a world!

- One Man Short

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you, Thank you very much!

Your sanity has now left this thread! See ya!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
What else can I say about the above post other than BULLHOOEY!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
William Greider says if far better than I ever could.

Published on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 by The Nation
A Peculiar Politician
by William Greider

Senator Russ Feingold is an embarrassment to the US Senate, which makes him an authentic hero of the Republic. The Wisconsin senator gets up and says out loud what half of the country is thinking and talks about every day. This President broke the law and lied about it; he trashed the Constitution and hides himself in the flag. Feingold asks: Shouldn't the Senate say something about this, at least express our disapproval? He introduces a resolution of censure and calls for debate.
Well, that tore it in the august chamber of lawmakers. Democrats scurried away like scared rats. And Republicans chortled at the thought. You want to censure our warrior President, the guy who defends us every day against terrorist attacks? Let's have a vote right now, the Republican leader demanded. Yuk, yuk.
The joke is obvious to everyone in the Washington club--politics trumps principle, especially when it is about something as esoteric as the Constitution. It's a nonstory, the club agrees, not a constitutional crisis.
The Washington Post runs an obligatory account on page 8, quoting Mr. Anonymous Democrat Strategist on the unwisdom of Feingold's gesture. The New York Times story on page 24 quotes the esteemed constitutional authority Dick Cheney. The House Repubican leader (who replaced the corrupt House leader who resigned) denounces Feingold's resolution as "political grandstanding of the very worst kind." Like the Republican impeachment of Bill Clinton for fellatio in the White House? Go away, Feingold, let us get back to the people's business.
The real story--naturally overlooked by cynical editors--is that an honest truth-teller is loose in the fun house and disturbing the clowns. Man bites dog, senator defends Constitution.
Feingold has a reputation for such quaint deviations--a naïf who voted against the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act. On principle! How naïve is that? He talks like he might run for President, yet he seems tone-deaf to the artful resonances of power politics--the cutesy games insiders play and the press cherishes. Hey, what is this Constitution thing anyway?
The senator is peculiar in this era of decaying democracy. There was a time, believe it or not, when his type was a familiar presence in the Senate. I think of Sam Ervin of North Carolina, a conservative Democrat on most matters but always a lion on the Constitution. Ervin is remembered for his heroic role in the investigation of Watergate. Old-timers remember that before Watergate, Senator Sam led courageous hearings on the illegal spying on civilians by the Army and FBI (Democratic scandals predating Nixon).
When liberalism was in flower, the Senate always included a good mix of such maverick voices. They were party loyalists but departed on principle in ways that sometimes kept the majority honest. Voted against the President's war in Vietnam and never let up. Ernest Gruening of Alaska, Wayne Morse of Oregon, Albert Gore Sr. of Tennessee. Phil Hart of Michigan was his own one-man reform party. George McGovern of South Dakota was another.
We might ask why the Republican Party has not produced a similar collection of independent thinkers. We might mourn the fact that pursuing a career in the Senate no longer seems compatible with stubborn self-directed character. The media, instead of kissing off Feingold as a dumb politician, might do a little honest reporting on the substance of what he is saying.
For the moment, however, let us celebrate the man. The club will try to shove him in a closet and forget his little unpleasantness ever happened. I hope they fail and other Dems are properly embarrassed. Amid scandals in high places, Senator Feingold is fresh air. The country should rise up and sing.

National affairs correspondent William Greider has been a political journalist for more than thirty-five years. A former Rolling Stone and Washington Post editor, he is the author of the national bestsellers "One World, Ready or Not," "Secrets of the Temple," "Who Will Tell The People," and, most recently, "The Soul of Capitalism" (Simon & Schuster)

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by dgtempe
What is censure in this context? To shut him up?

It is a reprimand, but with no consequences. Kind of a slap on the wrist.
Thanks for clarifying this for me. What Bush and cohorts need is a good swift kick in the ars followed by their removal from the WH.
All of them.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
What else can I say about the above post other than BULLHOOEY!!!

Can you actually say BULLHOOEY on this board?...Lets try it...BULLHOOEY, by god you can and no MOD came down on me....thanks grover for letting me know that I can say BULLHOOEY!

- One Man Short

PS Oh and by the way.....

Bush as our president FOREVER?

We could only hope!

Show me someone else that will take the terrorism battle to the enemy.

Clinton, didn't
Cheney, no
Gore, don't get me started
Fiengold, no
Kerry, what a joke

It is sad but true that come the next election our beloved GWB will not be able to run again. ( The entire world needs to pay special attention to this special man and learn a thing or two )

The only hope we have of continuing our reign of power and military superiority is that we elect Jeb Bush and let his big brother and George SR run things from behind the scenes.

Oh what a glorious time that will be for us all, as a nation and a world!

- One Man Short

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 16-3-2006 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

The media, instead of kissing off Feingold as a dumb politician, might do a little honest reporting on the substance of what he is saying.
For the moment, however, let us celebrate the man. The club will try to shove him in a closet and forget his little unpleasantness ever happened. I hope they fail and other Dems are properly embarrassed. Amid scandals in high places, Senator Feingold is fresh air. The country should rise up and sing.

GREAT post grover.

You have voted grover for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
As a bottled and bond old hippie liberal, and a democratic voter all I can say about the vast majority of congressional democrats and that includes Hillery (whom I WILL NOT VOTE FOR) and John Kerry is that its rather pathetic trying to invertabrates trying to stand up...something they rarely attempt...Premature or not Finegold has more spine than the majority. Us democrats should vote the entire Democratic Leadership Council out of office, their middle of the road Oh hey I am a conservative too, Republican lite bullhooey has ruined the party. It is time the Democrats actually stood up for something, became a real party of the oppiosition and stopped cowering behind polls. If you ask the vast majority of us liberal/progrssive democrats, that is what we want. Do it now or disband the party and start from scratch. And this is from someone who wouldn't vote Republican for dog catcher

top topics

<<   2 >>

join