It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Ian Blair , Secretly Taping Phones Calls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The commissioner of the Metropolitan police has been forced to apologies to the attorney general , Lord Goldsmith , after it was revealed that Sir Ian has been secretly recording telephone conversations .

news.bbc.co.uk
The attorney general has accepted an apology from Britain's top policeman over the secret taping of a phone call between the pair.

An IPCC spokesman said the taped conversations - including one with chairman Nick Hardwick - came to light as part of its inquiry into the aftermath of the shooting.

"We are surprised about the recording of calls and now have the recordings. We are dealing with this issue."

The spokesman added that no formal investigation into the allegations was taking place.

"Controversy appears to attach itself to Sir Ian on an almost daily basis "...Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Nick Clegg

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although this action is not illegal , unless there was an intend to istribute the tapes to others , its incredible that the seniour police officer in this country has shuch a " relationship " with the seniour law lord , that he felt the need to tape convesations , secretly .

as the links below show , at the moment , Sir Ian only takes his left foot out of his mouth , to replace it with his right , or so it seems

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
Although this action is not illegal , unless there was an intend to istribute the tapes to others , its incredible that the seniour police officer in this country has shuch a " relationship " with the seniour law lord , that he felt the need to tape convesations , secretly .

- Well that's one way to look at it.

On the other hand anyone dealing with 'legal-eese' might have some sympathy for his claim that normally those conversations are recorded and the 'stenographer' type person was unavailable and to hope to take in all that was said he recorded it for himself.

It's also worth bearing in mind that whilst Sir Ian has many supporters in the Met Police thanks to his strong views he has also made many enemies within the Met (which is believed to be how come this stuff got out).

At the end of the day if he and the Attorney General were happy enough to sort it out between themselves one can't help wondering what all the fuss was about.

.....and whilst I agree he ought to have known better and should have been much more tactfull in how he put it I do think he had a valid point in the links you provided.

[edit on 17-3-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I can't see the problem myself. The way Members of Parliament and Government Ministers conduct themselves in the UK, if I had been in Ian Blair's shoes I would have taped the call to cover my backside.

The recording is nothing more than a record of the conversation in question, and as long as the minister on the other end of the line was not being asked questions that were designed to manipulate him into making a statement that was damaging to him, then where's the harm?

join