It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel is almost certain to change its flag

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The flag of the State of Israel is intended to portray

a Star of David on a tallit,

the traditional Jewish prayer shawl.

But shortly after Hamas won the election in the Palestinian Authority end of January 2006, the Terror Group demanded Israel to change its flag

Hamas: Israel Must Change Flag

Hamas leader Mahmoud Zahar said from Gaza that Israel must change its flag.

"Israel must remove the two blue stripes from its national flag", said Zahar.

“The stripes on the flag are symbols of occupation. They signify Israel's borders stretching from the River Euphrates to the River Nile."

Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told reporters that the kitchen cabinet had been unhappy about the Israeli flag a long time. They agreed the Israeli flag is often seen exactly as the terror group Hamas stated: as a symbol of a aggressive Israel.

Acting PM Olmert therefore had asked Israels top design agencies to come up with alternatives during the past month.

Within the next two days, the kitchen cabinet has to vote on several flags

. external image .

• One other entry showed the Star of David in the middle of the rainbow flag

(in regard to the rainbow G’d promise to Noah, that He will never again destroy the world as He did with the Flood. The rainbow will serve as sign and reminder of this promise).

But this entry was already rejected by the ultra-orthodox cabinet members which said the "rainbow flag" would probably be misunderstood because it is also used by other groups.

• Another entry which was narrowly rejected showed five bagels modeled on the Olympic flag.

Rumours are reported, that the famous graphic artist duo Mordechai & his daughter Esther already won the contest, because their entry promotes a “softer image“ of Israel.

Their flag shows Seven Stars of David (symbols for each day of the week) in pastel shades on a pale blue background

[edit on 28/3/2006 by Umbrax]

• posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:39 AM
    link   
    I heard rumors of this but couldn't believe it to be true!

What are they thinking? Are they really going to venture down the path of Chamberlain and Clinton? It'll never work; they will only be seen as weak!!

The sentiment has been growing for some time, as can be seen by this pic:

Even among their own people, the flag represents aggression and Zionism:

Does this mark the downfall of the state of Israel?

[edit on 13-3-2006 by Regulator]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:48 AM
    link   
    This is pretty funny IMO

They might as well go all out. Raindows, peace symbols and what they heck some flowers for good measure.

How could anyone be offended by that flag, Well except the people that would have to salute my horrible art work

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:50 AM
    link   
    Too bad you can't animate a flag, they could go with this design...

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:08 AM
    link   
    Unbelievable .....

The Israeli flag is instantly recognisable, this will be a huge psychological backdown. Appeasement never works, Didn't they learn anything from WW2?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:12 AM
    link   
    It's two weeks two early for April fools so maybe this is for real but it is really hard to believe.

I don't like those replacement flags that you posted.

Perhaps they could just keep the star and remove the blue lines.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 05:31 AM
    link   
    I also thought it was a spoof, esp. when Riwka said that the "kitchen cabinet" was unhappy with the flag.

Riwka?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:01 AM
    link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Perhaps they could just keep the star and remove the blue lines.

I like this idea.

But what happens if Hamas says the Star of David is offensive because it has pointy things that could poke their eyes out?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:42 AM
    link   
    Riwka,
    Don't you mean Mordehai and his niece Ester? Although Haman might disapprove but I don't think he has any say in the matter any more.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:15 AM
    link   
    Hey - you think they will take the Flag by Shimon Tzabar in consideration?

I think it FITS the Image of Isreal Most.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:59 AM
    link   
    The Israeli equivalent to April Fool's Day must come early. I can find no reference to Israel's changing their flag, nor can I even fathom that Israel would ever agree to do such a thing. Riwka claims to be Israeli and, I assume, Jewish.

Hamas has called for a changing of the flag, but I personally doubt that Israel will do so. All the references to rainbows, bagels and the like really point to some kind of satire.

[edit on 2006/3/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:46 AM
    link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

the "kitchen cabinet"

Oh this is a typical Israeli term.

It had been created during the time Golda Meir served as the Minister of Labor, Foreign Minister, and as the fourth Prime Minister of Israel from March 17, 1969 to April 11, 1974:

Throughout her political career, Meir repeatedly shocked the world with her refusal to flaunt her position - she always flew coach and even washed her own laundry in hotels. And the way she discussed Israel’s security conditions with both foreign diplomats and local leaders in her kitchen, while in an apron, baking her renowned chocolate cake created the endearing term: Golda’s Kitchen Cabinet. (source)

The term 'kitchen cabinet" is still used in Israel today.

Originally posted by JudahMaccabbi

Riwka,
    Don't you mean Mordehai and his niece Ester? Although Haman might disapprove but I don't think he has any say in the matter any more.

Oh yes, you are right!

The famous duo is Mordehai and his his niece Esther

I love the flag of my country as it is - and most people do so.

Huge demonstrations are planned for the next two days - and all newspapers reported that there is already a Closure on Gaza and West Bank in effect from Saturday night because troubles are feared.

[edit on 13-3-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:51 AM
    link   
    lol who cares what the flag is? It's like the whole debate over removing the Union Jack from the Australian flag. A flag is a flag, nothing more.

I find the inferences that the two perfectly straight blue lines are the Euphrates and the Nile to be a bit of a stretch. Hell, they could be the Ganges to the Mississippi for all any one knows. They are lines people, lines.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:38 AM
    link   
    I'm liking the third one. Very stylish, very "today".

Stripes are boring!

Maybe the swirly flag will bring Israel and their policies into the 21st century.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:17 PM
    link   
    What do you think Hamas would think of this proposal?

[edit on 13/3/06 by JudahMaccabbi]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:30 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Djarums
    I'm liking the third one. Very stylish, very "today".

Stripes are boring!

Maybe the swirly flag will bring Israel and their policies into the 21st century.

This one?
    I thought it was Israel being flushed down the toilet, which is what'll happen if they change their flag.

[edit on 28/3/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:19 PM
    link   
    An Utter Disgrace !!

This attempt to satisfy HAMANS is an disgrace to all the people who have died fighting for the cause of Israel and a Jewish homeland over the centuries. The very identity of the Jewish people is being maligned with this appeasement.

The historic symbol of Jewery from the time of David is being replaced to satisfy a group of cut throats and terrorists that have taken the people of Isreal hostage with their costant threats against the jewish people. And the reward for this is yet more compramise by the Jewish people ??? Where will this perversion end ? Will the Jews now decide to change the Menorah to meet some perverse Islamist dictum ??

I would think that the time has come for the silent majority of Jewish people to kick out Olmert and his craven comrades and instate somebody with more respect amongst the Jewish people like Ahas Uerus to do the right thing !

Will the Jews finally have this running up on the Kesnet ??

When will they be able to tell ? Adloyadah

IAF

[edit on 13-3-2006 by IAF101]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:41 PM
    link   
    Changes would be good but who cares about the flag. People need to think BIG.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:52 PM
    link   

Originally posted by The_Voice
    Changes would be good but who cares about the flag. People need to think BIG.

Who cares about the flag ???

The Flag represents the very symbol that represents Jewery today- The Star of David.
    It is stupid to say the least that the Flag is irrelevant as the sheild of David is a symbol of the almighty. This is also alluded to in the third blessing after the Haftorah reading on Shabbat: "Blessed are you God, Shield of David."
    What "bigger" picture is there than the very faith that defines the Jewish people? Ignoring the symbol means that they turn their backs on everything that is held holy by the Jews.
    Apart from this it is also a blow to Zionism and the dream of a jewish homeland.

Apparently in your attempt to understand this issue you have failed to take into account the very principles that the Jewish people hold dear to them. Ignorance is NOT bliss !

www.aish.com...
    The six points symbolize God's rule over the universe in all six directions.

So whether it is a blue star waving proudly on a flag, or a gold star adorning a synagogue's entrance, the Star of David stands as a reminder that for the Jewish people... in God we trust.

[edit on 13-3-2006 by IAF101]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:07 PM
    link   
    This is paramount to a prophesy being fulfilled.

the generation that see the beginning will see the end. Israel was created in a day, as prophesied, and this flag has represented an entire generation of Israelis.
    Before this flag is replaced, we shall see the Second Coming.

PREPARE, FOR THE COMING OF YOUR LORD IS NEAR!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join