It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornadoes and fires aye yae yae...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well on Coast to Coast about 5 days ago, a meteorologist broke in to announce the news that tornadoes were going to hit the midwest. About 70-100 of them. This is big folks, because now they have arrived and have hit 10 states!

There is also a forest fire going in Texas too! And that's not good because my sisters live down there.

Is it me? Or is this world just falling appart or what?...geez..as if the tsunami wasn't enough already.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
As a resident of the Midwest, I can say that this is no big deal. It occurs every year, some years are moderate, some are severe.

Jan 2005 we had an ice storm that shut down all power for close to 10 days here with electric companies from other states sending workers in to help us get our electrical grid fixed.

Also not too long ago, a tornado hit Southern Indiana in a very bad way.

There is a reason that certain areas are nicknamed "tornado alley".

JDub

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
70 to 100? Roughly. Touchdowns? Hardly...

We've known about this crap since March first, it's no big deal here in the midwest, we're only 14 days early, which is 3 days later than 2000 where our season started in February.

This is what we in the midwest deal with every spring and fall because this is when our temperatures bounce from 40 to 70 back and forth for the transition.

Likewise we have to be prepared and ready for those.

NOAA Stated that "The Severe Weather Outbreak across the midwest was no where near as significant as expected." Why? Because it's true, the estimated forecast for hit rates was much further north, and they were forecasting 85 to 90 tornadoes with 15 strong tornadoes, the numbers they got: 75 tornadoes with 6 strong tornadoes.

The only thing that they failed on was after the outbreak started, they began shifting their forecast rates further south into Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri, and then had to go back and include Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa later in the day because they didn't think that the spread would make it that far north after developing so late.

The first hit on this weather situation was announced on February 28, 2006. It's not like this guy got his information out of the clear blue or his own basic tragectory. The Storm Prediction Center was already covering this in it's 12 day outlook for the area, and was already relaying emergency information to National Weather Service Offices across the Central and Southern Plains.

www.spc.noaa.gov...

Another problem they faced was the lack of action in Nebraska, where there were several hail reports. However, they've improved forecast rates by 62% since the last outbreak in June of 2005.

10 States?...Try 4.

Severe weather not common to you? It is for us. It's the way you live in the midwest.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Hmm yes I can understand that...but you know everything is suppossed to get a LOT worse. There will be floods, massive ones, and earthquakes. We will have 5 major hurricanes this coming hurricane season. We will also have a huge flood in california. And there are many other disasters coming our way...this is just the beginning...

(mod edit to remove unnecessary complete quote of preceding post)

[edit on 13-3-2006 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitelightwolf
There will be floods, massive ones, and earthquakes. We will have 5 major hurricanes this coming hurricane season. We will also have a huge flood in california. And there are many other disasters coming our way...this is just the beginning...

Try not to mass quote

As far as all that...possibly we will, possibly we won't. There's nothing out of the ordinary with what's happened today and the day before. It's anticipated to persist, but no where near like 3/12.

All this stuff to happen? That's what we have the SPC, the NWS, and ISMC. It may or may not happen, we don't know yet. Anything outside of 90 days is too hard to calculate accurately, and even a week of those 90 days is difficult. That's why primary forecasts last 96 hours.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Hmphhh! Funny thing. One of my truck drivers called me yesterday to say that he was ok, however, his tractor/trailer was laying on its side in northern Missouri! He said he was just driving down the highway in a rainstorm when all of a sudden "everything started to go horizontal....raindrops....tree branches....then......BOOM!" His truck is on its side! Its not too early for tornadoes...the weather here in Des Moines the last couple of days has been stormy (not severe, but a little lightning, a little hail, sleet, snow, rain). Typical Iowan weather if you ask me! (and my driver, Bud!)

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Another tornado outbreak. The overnights are the worst. Hope people are OK. These three warnings in just in the past hour or so:

TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO
404 AM CST MON MAR 13 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ST LOUIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
RANDOLPH COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 445 AM CST

* AT 402 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG ROTATION 13 MILES SOUTHWEST OF
EVANSVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
EVANSVILLE...
SPARTA...
TILDEN...
COULTERVILLE..."

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
United States - Tornado warnings: "BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
320 AM CST MON MAR 13 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
SOUTHERN MACON COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 345 AM CST

* AT 320 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM...CAPABLE OF PRODUCING TORNADOES...7 MILES
SOUTHWEST OF BLUE MOUND...OR ABOUT 10 MILES NORTH OF TAYLORVILLE...
MOVING NORTHEAST AT 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
MACON...
BOODY...
ELWIN...
MOUNT ZION...
LONG CREEK...
DECATUR...
OAKLEY..."

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
United States - Tornado warnings: TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY
248 AM CST MON MAR 13 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH KENTUCKY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
BOLLINGER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MISSOURI.

* UNTIL 330 AM CST.

* AT 245 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 11 MILES WEST OF
GRASSY...OR ABOUT 20 MILES WEST OF MARBLE HILL...MOVING NORTHEAST
AT 50 MPH.

* THE TORNADO IS EXPECTED TO BE...
NEAR GRASSY BY 255 AM CST.
NEAR GLENALLEN BY 305 AM CST.
NEAR MARBLE HILL AND 6 MILES SOUTHEAST OF PATTON BY 310 AM CST.
NEAR SCOPUS BY 315 AM CST.
8 MILES SOUTHEAST OF SEDGEWICKVILLE BY 320 AM CST.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Why did you post these? :|

These are nothing of an outbreak. What was confirmed was 59 tornadoes, only 5 major ones. This is not an outbreak, it's a cluster. The rest either never hit the ground, or weren't confirmed.

3 Tornado Warnings at this hour means that there are just that...three at the hour, early morning hours favor development, and most operations are switched over to EASA, usually around 4 AM.

This was just a passing storm that output a lot of hail and wind for the most, it's nothing compared to outbreaks we've had, with 129 confirmed tornadoes and 153 funnel clouds back in 2003.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Ummmmm......because of the thread title.

"Tornadoes and fires aye yae yae..."

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert rat

And we couldn't have used the SPC Archives for these why? Instead of just copying and pasting?

You didn't even include a source, pishaw.

Why does everyone not in the midwest cry "oh noes!!!1111" when we get severe weather? Like we have NEVER gotten it before. Like it's just something that never happens in someones lifetime, it's so rare. Folks, let me tell you something, the midwest contains "Tornado Alley" we can get severe storms year round, and it's not going to come up as abnormal, because in this region you get crazy weather, that's just how it is.

We experience enhanced risks of severe weather March through October, with primary issues occuring March 21, through June 16, and August 30, through October 5 because of temperature changes. This is opposed to extreme areas, such as Northern Minnesota, Washington, and Maine, because the climates are solid, or Florida, Texas, and Arizona, the exception of course being hurricanes in both states, and in Texas, moisture.

If we had an outbreak of 170 tornadoes, then I'd be suspicious for something happeneing, otherwise...I'd just say "shat happens."

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The source is stated in the non-copyrighted text.

So, you're a namecaller eh? Credibility near zero.

[edit on 13-3-2006 by desert rat]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   

The source is stated in the non-copyrighted text.

Yes, it is non copyright, but you still could've at least linked it instead.
Would've made it a lot less stuck out to read and probably would make it better for visitors.

So, you're a namecaller eh? Credibility near zero.

Name caller? Where?

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo

And we couldn't have used the SPC Archives for these why? Instead of just copying and pasting?

You didn't even include a source, pishaw.

Why does everyone not in the midwest cry "oh noes!!!1111" when we get severe weather? Like we have NEVER gotten it before. Like it's just something that never happens in someones lifetime, it's so rare.

No, you are wrong, this is suppossed to be the storm of the century. the biggest one. And it's called La Nina.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

No, you are wrong, this is suppossed to be the storm of the century. the biggest one. And it's called La Nina.

Nope, this is not the storm of the century, it´s not the biggest one and it´s not La Nina.

Here you can read about La Niña (and El Niño) :

NOAA-PMEL-TAO - what is La Niña?

and here:

WikiPedia: ENSO

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
WOW I live in Missouri, around the KC area. It is unbelievable that some might think what happened last night was no big deal. Everyone is out assessing the damage. They have said on the news that as of now, this was at least the 5th largest outbreak in recorded history. They are checking into a tornado that went through central missouri because it might have the record for the longest lasting twister. The damage they have shown so far is unbelievable. You say that if it was an outbreak of 170 or so then it would be a big deal. Well here is the difference. In those types of outbreaks most of the twisters are in the f1 to f2 range with a possable f3 here or there. The twisters that came through last night were far from f1 and f2. So far as of now, there have been 9 deaths reported. Buildings the size of football fields have been totaly distroyed. Not talking about a window blown out or part of the roof taken off, totaly leveled. KU is out today because 60% of the campus has damage. The great wolf lodge had part of its roof sucked off that was the least amount of damage I have heard reported. In the town that I am in, we didnt see any twisters, we didnt even see much rain, but the hail was HUGE. I have lived here for almost 29 years, and as a weather fanatic, let me tell you that was the first time I have ever seen 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch hail let alone 3 times in one night here. We were lucky, most places had baseball to softball size hail. My husband and standing outside our back door watching the lightnign and we heard this loud roaring that would not die down. It was loud enough the deck we were standing on was vibrating. Our first thought was holy crap a tornado, but then the news said otherwise. It turned out to be the hail. For about 5 min before the hail reached us, it sounded like there was a train comming through our house. At the risk of sounding childish......that was totaly WICKED!

[edit on 13-3-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I live in So California,not severe weather here,sure we had snow and rain ,but I've seen it a lot worse here,I'm thinking seasons are delayed perhaps ,but I sure miss getting my winter tan

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Weel, I live in Southeast Kansas and every county in this corner of the state got hit last night with severe storms. Just a part of the spring ritual.
When I was young I used to really enjoy these storms, but as you get older and worry about property damage, and see the loss of life involved, their not so much fun.
It's not so much the prospect of storm that concerns me at the present, as the severe drought we've been experiencing for over a year now. Even with the storms last night, only and inch and a half of rainfall here so far this year.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
i'm in TN and we're getting you're weather around 6pm tonight. its the spring................and unfortunately spring is severe weather time.

i HATE the spring for that exact reason. ughhhh. was in 2 tornados as a kid and i would rather not have to repeat that EVER.

but again..................i don't think its the beginning of the end.

angie

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Nope, this is not the storm of the century, it´s not the biggest one and it´s not La Nina.

Here you can read about La Niña (and El Niño) :

NOAA-PMEL-TAO - what is La Niña?

and here:

WikiPedia: ENSO

No, LA NINA IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! AS SAID IN ONE OF MY FRIENDS DREAMS. HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT LA NINA MEAN;T BECAUSE AN ALIEN ENCOUNTERED HIM AND TOLD HIM THAT HORRIBLE STORMS WERE GOING TO HIT!!! AND THE ALIEN KEPT ON SAYING LA NINA LA NINA...

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just to back whitelight up on this, the friend was me, It was the first time I've encountered any sort of alien in the astral & surprisingly I was unafraid, It seemed peaceful & was trying to warn me about the future I think, He repeatedly said the words La Lina louder & louder until I woke up in a sweat. I know you wont believe it but hey what can I say...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join