It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Executive Order 13397 Homeland Security & Faith Based Education

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
df1

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
President Bush has signed an executive order that will establish within Homeland Security the position of Director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (WHOFBCI Director). The director will have a staff to "coordinate agency efforts to eliminate regulatory, contracting, and other programmatic obstacles to the participation of faith-based and other community organizations in the provision of social and community services."

cryptome.org
Responsibilities of the Department of Homeland Security With Respect to Faith-Based and Community Initiatives

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and in order to help the Federal Government coordinate a national effort to expand opportunities for faith-based and other community organizations and to strengthen their capacity to better meet America's social and community needs, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Establishment of a Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives at the Department of Homeland Security.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We all thought that the election was for the President of the U.S., instead, to our surprise, we elected the Archbishop of Austin. This is clearly contrary to the precept that church and state should remain seperate. This should not surprise us from a President that believes he received direction from God to wage war in the middle east.

[edit on 14-3-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Regardless of what you think of it, this does not violate anything of the constitution.
"Faith Based" does not specify any one particular Christian denomination (sect, if you want to use the word hey used in the discussions of this topic back in the beginning days of the country) over the other. Although not what was intended for this nation, "faith based" now encompasses other entirely separate religions besides the Judeo-Christian belief system.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Personal opinion aside:

"This is clearly contrary to the precept that church and state should remain seperate."

IMPO - the church and state should be separate. Else we're back to the inquisitions. Not a good place to be judging by history. That's why the precept was established. The boys back then knew darned well how that kettle of fish smells.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
How is the contrary to the church and state staying seperate. If it was then the state would be organising/sponsoring Christian events which this appears not to be doing. From what i can gather this appears to be a very positive move making it easier for all faiths and community groups to organise events.

df1

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Thomas Crowne
"faith based" now encompasses other entirely separate religions besides the Judeo-Christian belief system.

It is certainly represented the way you state, however I suspect that in practice it will "encompass" some belief systems more than others. I will recant the preceding statement should a wiccan be appointed as the director of this group.

How would you feel about a scientologist as director?

[edit on 12-3-2006 by df1]

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   

It is certainly represented the way you state, however I suspect that in practice it will "encompass" some belief systems more than others.

Not sure what you mean by "encompass", but as long as all religions have the same opportunity and fulfill the requirements, then all is OK.

I will recant the preceding statement should a wiccan be appointed as the director of this group.

How would you feel about a scientologist as director?

Should a wiccan be appointed as director? Not solely because s/he is a wiccan. Could a wiccan be appointed director? Yes. The same goes for any religion. An atheist could be appointed. It's unpermissible to discriminate on the basis of religion.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Doesn't anybody see the sinister side of this? Homeland Security in control of religious activities?

People here are losing the plot if they can sit around discussing the merits of state and church seperation, while the single most powerful and secretive organization in the government is now going to be keeping tabs on YOUR religious practises.

Jesus Fricking Christ my hair's standing on end just reading about it. Wake up before it's too late folks. You won't be getting anything as obvious as an armband this time around, but you can be damn sure your religion will be listed right there in your Biometric Datafile.

KBR is building your faith based education camps right now.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Doesn't anybody see the sinister side of this? Homeland Security in control of religious activities?

Exactly. Plenty of people will see it, but it won't matter. I'm with you all the way, MTBP. For one thing, what does Homeland Security have to do with Faith-based anything?

Secondly, thinking that all religions will be equally considered by this particular government is totally irrational. That's not going to happen! Who thinks an atheist (or Pagan, Hindu or Buddhist) will benefit from this even if they are the best person for consideration?

I swear, I cannot wait till this imposing government imposes on people who support them every step of the way. I want to be around when that happens.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
What's next?

1)The American SS?
2)Youth Brigade?

Et al

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
they aren't cooking us slowly...
they are preparing the pan with a locking lid...

Homeland security... religon doesn't come to mind while saying that...

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I am asking the same question! just what in the world does homeland security have to do with religion, or vice versa?

can't wait until another goof like the ports deal surfaces and some imman gets handed a few million for their "faith based work".....and it's followed by a few more building falling to the ground or something. even if the imman was on the up and up....ummm......betcha there'd be a nice big fiasco about it.

wonder if the wacko can get homeland security money to protest funerals??

or the polygamist that is on the run....

eventually, ya, I think some of yous are right, they will have to start evaluating the doctrines of each applicant to decide if they are "worthy" of the money....and then, well, it will be more like, a "believe this way or else"...not good.

then when you consider just how much money goes into the social safety net, and just how many jobs are created, well, now, some of that money is going to create jobs that the applicants can be discriminated against for this reason or that.

then well, catholic charities in one state, just decided to get out of the adoption business because of a law that they can't discriminate against homosexuals.....a shame really, since now there will be alot less adoptions in that state probably!!

more than likely, it will be the churches that get hurth the worst by their mingling with the state.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Who wants to bet against me that a good wholesome Christian that believes in killing gays, WOmen who get abortions, and arabs is a good thing? Who wants to bet that a Wiccan, Buddist, Islamic, or Jewish person will be appointed? No takers? Wonder why...

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Heh, instead of 13397, they should have removed the 9 and left it at 1337..... talk about the e-leet

Kind Regards
Merger

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Homeland Security the new American Gestapo

It seems that under the Bush Administration he has created his own group of chosen ones that he can appoint and they will respond directly to him.

Just like the Gestapo and elite forces during Hitler.

Mythatsabigbrobe, downstar and BH you got it nail to the spot, most Americans are still under the dream that everything in this nation is fine and that everything is going like usual.

But you fail to see or to even question why our president seems so devoted into having his own agency and why he keeps making them bigger and giving them more powers.

Do we need a new office with a head in charge of Religion in our country?.

Has anybody even care to step out of their boxes and figure out what in the heck this is supposed to accomplish?

I guest the gullible will fall for anything that is served with the tag of Good for the nation and for your security

Now what in the heck does Homeland Security has to do with religious base programs unless under the umbrella of Fighting terrorism the nation would be scrutinized to see who gets what and for what cause and under what religious denomination when it comes to government scrappy give aways that are after all our tax payer dollars.

Wake up people Bush has created his own new branch of government with his own agencies. Keep your eyes open.

And he doesn’t feel like he has to answer to any of us or the congress by the way he has run his presidential businesses.

[edit on 13-3-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Just lovely. MY tax dollars are going to go to what I perceive is one of the biggest problems the world is faicing today. Pefect example:

www.godhatesfags.com...

www.godhatesamerica.com...

This moron (Phelps) qualifies to receive YOUR and MY tax dollars to futher his ideology. I'm not saying ALL religious organizations are nafarious. But to me, it doesn't matter. I am being forced to pay into something I don't personally believe. In my view, this is no different that a woman getting an abortion on the tax-payers dime.

I have supported Bush on the war on terror; but this is completely out there. Maybe I should start a church on agnostisim and have social programs so I can get some of that "faith based" money. I promise: I won't force my views on anyone!!

Damn Bush

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Freedom_for_sum]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
How much you want to bet that the Faith-based whatever - if it allows islamic participation will be under heavy observation.

My roommate wants to know what colour the sheets will be for the new organization.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Regardless of what you think of it, this does not violate anything of the constitution.
"Faith Based" does not specify any one particular Christian denomination (sect, if you want to use the word hey used in the discussions of this topic back in the beginning days of the country) over the other. Although not what was intended for this nation, "faith based" now encompasses other entirely separate religions besides the Judeo-Christian belief system.

Sorry Thomas that doesn't wash, not with this administration. Do you honestly believe that they will give government funds for faith based Initiatives to lets say, Black Muslims, or even real Islamic sects like the Shiia or Sunni or Wahababists...how about my friendly neighborhood satanist church or those sexy little witches that live down the street...how bout Sun Yung Moon's group or the Hare Krishna's? By your own statement ""Faith Based" does not specify any one particular Christian denomination" you assume that it will be focused on Christian sects. Very well do we want to give government funds to the likes of Fred Phelps hate group, or to snake handlers, how about one of the white surpremist churches? And what about the Jewish or Buddhist or Hindu groups? The thing is there were very good reasons why our founding fathers were so keen on the seperation of church and state, reasons that our memoryless generation have forgotten...Its called history. Remember the founding of alot of the original states was based on one state founded on a sect (pilgrims in Massachuetts for example) kicking out members of other faiths and desenters. This happened repeatdly...Then there is the matter of what happened in Europe in the 200 years between Luthors 93 thesis and the American revolution. Remember the 30 years war? How about the St. Bartholomew day's Massacre in which the french crown ordered the execution of all protestants in the realm? The history of state sponsored religious bigotry just goes on and on. And lest we forget the seperation of church and state clause was inserted into the Virginia Bill of Rights (the model for the national bill of rights) at the insistance of the Bapist church to protect them from the Epicopalians, who were prosecuting them at the time. That having faith based groups involved in social issues is a good idea but having the government involved on their behalf is a bad one with terrible precedents.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think the purpose is so the DHS can coordinate with religious charities to help aid people during disasters like Katrina. But then again, if you look at Bush's past actions in regard to religion, that reason sounds a little too innocuous.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Everything they do sounds innocuous until you read between the lines...clean air, healthy forests, no billionaire left behind...oh sorry my fault, no child left behind. etc.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
"Faith Based" does not specify any one particular Christian denomination (sect, if you want to use the word hey used in the discussions of this topic back in the beginning days of the country) over the other.

Sorry, but you are already falling for it - you are referring to Christian denominations as if those are the only legitimate options. With this one small step, we move closer to the ultimate evil of a state sponsored religion and the resulting persecution/prosecution of all who attempt to worship (or not) otherwise.

I agree with many of the posters: the public needs to wake up and see the steps being taken and where they can lead to, although I truly wonder if it's not too late already.

"Your bath water is almost ready, just sit tight while we finish warming it up for you...."

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Jaryn]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join