It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity/Falling Objects Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
After much pondering I have decided that Galileo was NOT correct about falling objects.

His idea was that if there were no air resistance two objects would fall at exactly the same rate.

It is practically available and useful because it is apparently true. But there are miniscule differences in the speed at which they fall. Even without air resistance.

This is because all objects have GRAVITY of their own, not just the Earth. Gravity is caused because of mass. Weight is also directly related to mass. Not the same, but directly related. W=gm, and since "g" is a constant W is gonna go up at the same rate as "m". So we can safely say that a heavier object will fall faster than a light one because it has more weight, and therefore has more mass, and therefore has more gravity than a lighter one, and therefore is attracted to the Earth more and will therefore fall FASTER.

Believe it or not I did figure this out myself. My question is, so why are we taught that all things fall exactly at the same rate? I can understand using a generic constant (-9.81 m/s/s) for calculations, but the fact is that all things fall at different rates. Aristotle was correct. He just didn't know why.

[edit on 3/12/2006 by Darkpr0]

join