It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenage 'Buddha' goes missing

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sorry Nygdan, but when 8 muslims are born for every Christian, a .6% lead in "conversion" rates doesn't really count. Plus we don't behead people for converting to Islam.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Hi,

Nibbana(nirvana) is NOT a place of endless indulgence or extravagance, not by a long shot. In fact, the real definition of Nibbana is a Blissful absence of suffering.

Suffering is a key concept in this belief.

Also most do not await the return of Buddha. It is seen as he had broken free of the cycle of rebirth, and attained Nibbana.

Buddha was not/is not a god. While we give respect to him and his wisdom, he himself said he was not to be worshiped as a god. He discovered truths of the nature of reality and shared them.

To break it down:

1. Suffering is part of all lives here.

2. The cause for suffering is craving of various things/ideals.

3. The end of suffering is found in Nibbana. Ultimate peace and understanding.

4. All persons who so desire can work toward Nibbana via 8 concepts that they can strive to employ and understand. Those being:
Right Understanding - striving to see things as they truly are.
Right Thought - striving to keep mind focused.
Right Speech - striving to speak justly and be true to yourself and others.
Right Action - striving to act in manners that are balanced and of virtue.
Right Livelihood -striving to live in a means that brings no suffering upon yourself or others.
Right Mindfulness- striving to be mindful of all actions and the nature of your existence.
Right Concentration -striving to keep your mental focus on kind understanding.
Right Effort -striving to practice these things as best as one can.

So anyways, that's a basic rundown for you. I just wanted to clear some of that up.

On topic, I find it strange the boy is called "Boy Buddha" as the Buddha did too fast and bring harm to his body in order to gain enlightenment. But he learned that this was not the best way to achieve his goals, he found what is now called the "Middle Path" which he used to gain enlightenment, and even strived to keep the middle path until the day he passed on. That middle path, did not require him to starve and harm his body. Rather to only give his body what was needed.

Maybe that boy will realize that too in time.

X

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xatnys

Also most do not await the return of Buddha. It is seen as he had broken free of the cycle of rebirth, and attained Nibbana.

Xatnys, remember though Siddharta Gautama was not the first Buddha. We give him reverence though because he founded what we practice in buddhism now, the Middle Way.

Since Buddha basically means one who was enlightened, the boy could be a new buddha, in the future. But any one of us could.

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
A very true and great response. I got the feeling they were refering to Siddharta, however that is probably just me not properly using right understanding(by accidently reading more into the article than was stated)

Thank you, really.

X

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Xatnys you have a cool avatar!!!!

Any how, what on earth would make someone meditate for months and months on end. Only to vanish. Maybe some secret society got to him lol. Or worse the CCP got him, thats a totally different type of suffering right there, suffering by the comi's is never good for the soul.

posted on Jul, 1 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
[edit to take out unecessary quote]

Thanks Trickz

In our culture, months long meditation seems highly impractical, maybe even downright absurd. But to really see the entire situation, we need to try and understand this young man's view, his perspective.

He lives what we would consider a meager existence. Lacks many if not all the creature comforts we daily take for granted. With so very little in the way of material possessions(distractions), he has what I'd consider a much more natural view of reality. Whereas we are distracted by so many things, and have so many things to comfort us and keep us from needing to ponder our reality, it stares him in the face constantly.

Couple that with a culture that has focused on the need for inner peace or enlightenment for a very long time, and is peppered with the history of Buddhism. One can see how a young man(or woman) would choose to try and emulate the actions that helped Buddha attain enlightenment.

Now, the months and months of perpetual suffering cast on himself from little to no food and water, that is not a strict tenant of Buddhism, but many who have sought the path of enlightenment have tried punishing the body and mind. This is not good or bad really, merely various bits of culture that he chose to embrace upon his path.

I know it all seems strange, but he's truly not the first person to try such things, and I really doubt he'll be the last either.

X

P.S. For the record, I don't believe he's gone 6 months with no food or water. When a person takes on some movement of large magnitude, he/she takes on a second life, one lived out in the words of those who saw and wanted to be part of their movement.

We see embellishments on many persons who get a "camp following", it is the retelling of events that gives them added emphasis. I'm sure he's had water quite a few times throughout his ordeal. And, while I'm certain that he has fasted, probably for weeks at a time; he has still ingested some form of "food". I'd wager that most of the "unbelievable" aspects of this story can be attributed to friends and onlookers who had nothing but good intentions when embellishing on the story.

Some want so badly to be a part of greatness, that it seduces them, no good or bad in that, just something we see more often than not.

[edit on 1-7-2006 by Xatnys]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join