It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

See The Moon In Extreme Detail, NASA World Wind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I'm sure some members have used this software, but I'd like to bring it to everyone's attention.
worldwind.arc.nasa.gov...

This is a free software program from NASA that ties together multiple satelite images for the Earth and the Moon just like Google Earth does, but with this program you can go anywhere on the Moon with very high resolution. You can also set your cache size to whatever you want so that all your searching is saved to your hard drive. With Google Earth your limited to 2 Gigs, but not with World Wind, I set mine for 10 Gigs so that I can use it off-line once I have a good data set downloaded.

NASA World Wind and The Moon

NASA World Wind version 1.3.3 (October 2005) now has the ability to browse Clementine moon data with full 3D terrain.

Three data sets are available; Clementine 40xx, Clementine 30xx, and the Shaded Relief map provided by the USGS. The first two were created using data processed by Clementine.
All three provide enough detail to see craters within craters. For more information regarding the Clementine mission see link.
worldwind.arc.nasa.gov...

You can zoom down to an amazing level, right into the bottom of the craters.
I urge anyone interested in the moon to check out this program.

Interesting note: This was a military funded mission. They wanted to know a lot about the Moon for some reason ?

Clementine Project Information
Clementine was a joint project between the Strategic Defense Initiative Organization and NASA. The objective of the mission was to test sensors and spacecraft components under extended exposure to the space environment and to make scientific observations of the Moon and the near-Earth asteroid 1620 Geographos. The observations included imaging at various wavelengths including ultraviolet and infrared, laser ranging altimetry, and charged particle measurements. These observations were originally for the purposes of assessing the surface mineralogy of the Moon and Geographos, obtaining lunar altimetry from 60N to 60S latitude, and determining the size, shape, rotational characteristics, surface properties, and cratering statistics of Geographos.
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Enjoy folks, it's a big program, but big is good.
It affords great detail.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If you are wondering what the military coudl do with a base onthe moon, all you need to do is read the Sci-Fi book called "THe moon is a harsh minstress" where people on the Moon holds earth hostage by throwing rocks down the gravity well.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Look at Birkeland on the Moon in that program, half the crator is show in image, then the other half and fields nearby is completely pixelated out.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hey Jehosephat,
I love Heinlein, and your right, the Moon would be a very strategic "High Ground".
Knowing the history of mankind, a Lunar vs. Earth war could be a reality in the future, and any weapons platform in LEO would be an easy target. At least on the Moon you could dig down to provide yourself some protection.

We've been playing with NASA World Wind for a few days now and loading all the add-on items, and downloading tile sets.
We can now zoom down to any part of the moon, all of the United States and most of the world. But we also added Mars and Venus in full detail, plus we intalled a minimal program for the other planets and many of their moons.

I'm setting aside about 25 Gigs cache for the program so that everything gets saved for future reference, but you can burn individual data sets to a DVD for back-up, transfer, space saving on your HD, etc..........

The program is a lot more complex than Google Earth (I use this also), but there are so many more layers and add-ons that make this software worth looking at.

And Foxe, I'll go take a look at Birkeland in a few minutes, I have a guest I need to kick out.

EDIT: I see it's not only Birkeland, but a whole region is in large pixels, perhaps it's just a lack of hi-res data from that area or it could be the same thing they do to the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington on Google Maps and NASA World Wind.
And yet Google Earth lets you see it.

Perhaps they don't want us to see something on the Moon..............

[edit on 14/3/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My point exactly... I find it odd they have half of a large, named crator imaged, then another half pixelated. You would think they would have either all or none of it high ressed. Also, if you notice, areas without high res use a different pixel-size or just arnt there at all...

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
WOW!!! this is amazing im quite the newbie and this is the first time i've seen this moon program (

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I figured everyone might like to take a look at what you'll get before you download the program.

I'll start with a long shot.

And here's a progressive zoom and tilt of a crater region near the south pole.

You can also use the Clementine 30xx data to get a different perspective.

I'm really getting a kick out of this program.
Next stop Mars.............

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This seems amazing, but does it show the dark side of the moon aswell?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Though there is no dark side of the moon really, the program does show the side you can't see from Earth. The detail is great, but there are a few swaths that are blacked out.

One thing I was amazed at was how craggy the south pole region is. This is the area that NASA is looking at for a permanent base due to the fact that there may be frozen water in some of the deepest craters.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
so can u see the flags or discarded moonbuggies? from the nasa landings?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
No moonbuggies that I could see.
I looked at each of the Apollo landing sites and wasn't able to see any evidence of the visits. I hope NASA adds more data sets to this program as they become available.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Found all the supposed anomalies yet, like moonbases, pyramids and flying crystal palaces?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
On my version of this Nasa world wind program areas are missing detail possibly its not been completed, however is it just me or are there a lot of squarish looking almost city like images near some of the squared out details. Just to the left of the lansberg area its like looking a an aerial view of buildings. Anyone else seen this or is it just my poor graphics?

Dae

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod
On my version of this Nasa world wind program areas are missing detail possibly its not been completed, however is it just me or are there a lot of squarish looking almost city like images near some of the squared out details. Just to the left of the lansberg area its like looking a an aerial view of buildings. Anyone else seen this or is it just my poor graphics?

Any chance of some images? Ive subscribed to this thread because this is absolutely fascinating! But noone seems to be updating much, especially in the way of images. Im wondering how many people in ATS has this proggie... come on peeps, more images and thoughts please

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
so can u see the flags or discarded moonbuggies? from the nasa landings?

Yeah I was going to say the same thing!

Has anyone been able to find these yet? as these "should" be the only things that are on the moon?

If the flag is found then it would put an end to the "did America go to the moon or not?" questions.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm rebuilding our system that has NASA World Wind on it, I should be up and running before the weekend.

If anyone has specific requests for a picture of a particular area, I'll be happy to post them on Friday or Saturday. Just post what you want to see.
The Apollo landing sites are very dark and I don't think the resolution is high enough to see the base of the landers. And a flag is way too small to spot.
I've looked at each of the areas and couldn't see anything myself, but I'd be happy to post them for you to look at.

Let me know........
Even if I can't post them, I'm sure other members with the program would be happy to put them up.

[edit on 5/4/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Creeping about today and found this website: www.internationalnewsagency.org...
Also found one as to anomolous formations on the moon. For example, the tower. However, cannot find it again. (cat walked on my keyboard).
Anyone else?

Santa Clause was "secret code" for ufos.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

Any chance of some images? Ive subscribed to this thread because this is absolutely fascinating! But noone seems to be updating much, especially in the way of images. Im wondering how many people in ATS has this proggie... come on peeps, more images and thoughts please

I have my system running again and came across something strange.
Any area that has no data is totally black like the boxes you see below.

But I've found a crater with something different. I'll post a sequence of pictures as I zoom down to it.

Notice the black markings on the inner rim of the crater.

If I try to zoom in any closer a grey box appears.

I can rotate around the crater for a different view.

But if I tilt down the grey box comes back.

This is the only part of the moon that I've found this sort of grey box, and it just happens to be covering something that might be of interest.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Why bother putting mysterious pixelations and gray boxes into pictures when you can edit them in a way no one would realize?

Dae

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

This is the only part of the moon that I've found this sort of grey box, and it just happens to be covering something that might be of interest.

Whats of interest there? I noticed two little black specs... I found it hard to see it as a crater too, looked like a lump. So we assuming that grey blocks are censored and black blocks are no data?

new topics

top topics

join