It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super M113 Gavin.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Even though the design has been about 50 years old, its still capable of handling most modern threats. No doubt its cheap and effective vehicle that has a wide variety of options on the design acting as an ambulance vehicle to mortar support vehicle. These pics as you see shows the upgrades have made sure that the M113 is still not obsolete. The slat armor added as well as gun shield see through that protects the gunner while still provide visibility on the enemy. We have thousands of these vehicles that can be easily upgraded and transported immediately. Far better than the armored Humvees.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Way and above better than hummers by far! OK the hummers may be faster and more fuel efficient, but they are so vunerable to attacks from IEDs and RPGs.

These little dudes are going to be a bonus for troops on the ground, especially with the defended gunner station mounting a big fifty cal. They can provide alot of cover when the going gets rough as well. It looks way cool in this new configuartion.

Cheers for the piccies.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I've always been a fan of the older M113's and M60A3 tanks so I see this as a welcome addition to the M113 family, the slat armor does look ugly though lol.

If that will keep the troops safe then why not huh? even though the original armor of the M113 is pathetic, I heard even 7.62mm rounds could penetrate it, I am not sure if it's the AK rounds or the 7.62mm NATO rounds.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The M113 is my favorite armored vehicle. They did make these ugly with the "grate" armor but you have to do what you have to do. They need to replace the mortar opening with a mini MLRS. THEN these things would kick ass. Mortars are good too though, but I don't think these all carry mortar crews. Maybe they can develop an automatic mortar system complete with fire control so these things can lay down indirect fire in seconds with targeting from UAV's or something equivalant.

THe M113's are old though and probably need to be redesigned with stronger hulls and maybe more modular for different weapons. Although how much more modular can you get then a "box on wheels".

I would love to own one of these.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'm trying to figure out just what that 'slat armor' (which looks like deck grating to me), is supposed to do to protect the vehicle?

As for better/worse than a Humvee, I don't think it's really a relevent question, as the humvee is not designed to be an armored vehicle, but rather an upgraded jeep.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Its been added to detonate RPG`s and other light AT weapons away from teh hull (which won`t stop it)

But then again an RPG-7 breached the armour on an M1A2

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It protects the vehicle from Shaped charge projectiles (RPGs, ATGMs) by detonating their charges before the main armor. And since SC rounds need to be on right distance from armor in order to penetrate it might actually be really good (Chicken net would do it too)

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
what an ugly vehicle.

on a serious note, the amour for the machine gunner looks like it must seriously reduce the gunners vision and a gunner who cant see what he's shooting at very well sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Justin

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Travellar
I'm trying to figure out just what that 'slat armor' (which looks like deck grating to me), is supposed to do to protect the vehicle?

Its a simple concept that takes all the punch out of a RPG. RPGs work on a shape charge principle which allow them to focus a amazing amount of energy on a tiny area allowing them to cut through armour. This is why RPGs are so dangerous.

But for a shape charge to be effective it has to be in direct conctact with the armour. The slat armour prevents this and makes the RPG detonate early losing the vast majority of its power.

Its a concept going all the way back to WW2 and still works today.

new topics

top topics

join