It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to hydrogen peroxide powered?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

from here

What happened to this idea? Why did it not catch on? Peroxide is cheap.

Jet packs, rockets, cars, have used peroxide as a great power source. Why is it not available today?

More info here

and some things that run on peroxide.

Aside from becoming more blonde in an accident, I don't know why there aren't more of these, a LOT more.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Odd, no one is interested in this.

Peroxide is said to have more power than gasoline. Yet there is no talk about using this technology in cars.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Peroxide is an oxidizer, not a fuel. The car would also require some hydrocarbon fuel to burn with the peroxide. The reason its never caught on is because there is oxygen in the atmosphere so you don't need to carry an oxidizer. Unless its a rocket of course.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I thought there'd be more responses to this as an alternative fuel. It is a working method, one that could work.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Go to school, become a mechanical engineer and tell us why peroxide cars are so much better than the current gasoline fueled combustions; instead of just telling us they are cool...oh, or is that why.

A working method does not mean the method will translate to commercial sucess or economic vaiblity. Until Fritz Haber synthesized NH3, it was very expensive. Nuclear reactors produce energy, why not put nuclear reactors into cars?

This is the first paragraphs of one of the links you gave:

This idea came to me when reading about amateur rocket enthusiasts building hydrogen peroxide powered rockets. H2O2 or Hydrogen Peroxide is an unstable molecule, being esientially a water molecule with a extra oxygen atom hanging on. Disturb it and the water molecule will happily fling off that pesky oxygen with considerable energy. The result is about half the energy density of hydrocarbon burning, but the result is just water and oxygen.

SOunds like it was written by a chemsist or engineer.

In fact, your links suck. One directed us to a car for sale, the other was writen by a highschool student, and the last does not work as of now. Nothing you have given is convincing, to say the least.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
First off, you don't have to be a smarta$$ and talk down to others as I've seen you do so often. Instead, you might think about coming up with a solution. Many come to this site with idea's in hopes of having their idea seen by an engineer, like here, to find out if it is a good idea or not. I don't know why you think treating others as a lesser is cool...oh, or is that why.

Second, peroxide has powered many things already outside of normal reach, such as rockets, jet packs, racing, go carts, submarines and more.

There is much more one can learn without becomming an engineer. One can even go find some of their own links.

Here are more for you make fun of and put down, Frosty:

ANTING, China (AP) -- The Habo No. 1 looks like any one of the legions of Volkswagen sedans in China. But a peek under the hood reveals an array of chrome canisters instead of the usual engine -- the Habo is fueled not by gas but hydrogen peroxide.

More here

Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) has been used as rocket propellant, but can also be used to run automobiles. With how well it stores in liquid form, it is perhaps an under-appreciated mechanism for energy storage and fuel. Could possibly find application as a fuel for jet aircraft engines.

More here

Hydrogen peroxide is manufactured today almost exclusively by the autoxidation of 2-ethyl-9,10-dihydroxyanthracene to 2-ethylanthraquinone and hydrogen peroxide using oxygen from the air. The anthraquinone derivative is then extracted out and reduced back to the dihydroxy compound using hydrogen gas in the presence of a metal catalyst. The overall equation for the process is deceptively simple:

More here

Some more links:

Process for the electrochemical preparation of hydrogen peroxide

History of Hydrogen-peroxide rocket-pwered vehicles

Hydrogen Peroxide Could Power Future Fuel Cell

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Wasn't it supposedly H2O2 that caused the Kursk to explode???

I'll have a look.

(Edit: Update)

For practical background information on the hazards of H2O2, I recommend you read the history and facts behind the August 2000 incident that caused the destruction of the Russian submarine “Kursk” and the death of all its crew. This tragedy was studied and investigated and found to be caused by the Peroxide oxidizer that was used in the Russian torpedoes as a fuel accelerator. This method was well known to USA and British submariners, but had been scrapped because of the risks involved in a Peroxide leak inside a sub. The British submarine, Sidon, sank in 1955 and 13 sailors were lost due to an incident with Peroxide-propelled torpedoes. It was this incident that provoked the Brits and the USA to abandon the use of Peroxide as a powerful booster for torpedoes. The Kursk incident proved the Americans and British to be correct in their risk analysis and pointed directly to the importance of knowing everything there is to know about Peroxide and its handling.

Link

Some sources, however, contend that the true cause of the accident has not been published.

The same guy has this to say about H2O2 in general -

There are some harsh and costly tradeoffs involved in exploiting the oxidative power of H2O2 - once you become knowledgeable in it's history and the tradeoffs, you may not want to proceed with it. I personally feel I can handle H2O2 as a process raw material. However, the steps and methods that I use will be expensive and thoroughly studied, supervised and monitored. Handling H2O2 will, my opinion, be inherently expensive and risky. The risks can be reduced; but they will never be reduced 100%.

Perhaps the technology isn't up to scratch yet to make a commercial success of the H2O2 auto...or perhaps the oil companies are blocking it...who knows.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by KhieuSamphan]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It never caught on because everybody became interested in flywheels. Yes, messy old hydrogen peroxide is good for clearing up your zits, but when it comes to powering automobiles, nothing beats a flywheel.

Gyrobus

Combined with newly-developed ultracapacitors, the flywheel is the wave of the future. Research is also progressing rapidly on developing virtual flywheel systems, which will have none of the tensile strength limitations of current designs.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The idea from Halfbakery is rubbish. The author is essentially saying that using the propulsion method for a rocket is suitable for powering a car's engine with minimal modifications.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by godservant

Thank's friend!
Did yuo read about health issues?
We are also a biological 'machines' as I verified myself it works!!
I'm sure it works better in cars!

SNC

top topics

join