It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Info on the proper push-up technique?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I have been doing pushups for many months now about 8-9 to be exact and have not seen the results that I think should be for that length of time. Perhaps my 'technique' is the problem. One thing that may be the problem is my elbows, I keep them close to my side like parallel to my rib cage. Should the elbows point out about 45 degrees??

Does anyone have info on the 'most effective' technique for pushups and buiding mass/defininng the pecs area.

Any other info would be great.

Thanks.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by Huckleberry]

[edit on 10-3-2006 by Huckleberry]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Keep your back as straight as possible. Lower your body until chest is just off the floor, but do not actually touch the floor (i.e. no "bouncing" off floor). Also, when in lowered position, stop, hold for a count of 5, back up.

Vary the distance between your hands. (i.e. directly side by side[making a diamond/triangle with thumbs and index fingers], shoulder width apart, wider than shoulder width apart)

Fingertip pushups (vary distance as above).

Inverted pushups (i.e. upside down against a wall, door, etc.) Very good for shoulders and lats.

Upside down pushups (on fingertips and toetips)

Slower, steady (controlled) reps will provide for more complete overall muscle tone and strength.

That ought to keep you busy for awhile.

Hope this helps

[edit on 3/10/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
here let me tell you something. Over the months i have also been doing alot of bodyweight excercises. like pushups,pullups, and anything else you can emagine.Although i have noticed a increase in deffinition and size of my mouscles. It was weird because honestly i hardly gained any weight, maybe just like 5lbs. And i am being serous.

I mean i noticed some big changes in my muscle, size endurence, and well my strength increase but really didnt help my max alot.I thought maybe i reached a platough,then i looked at the male gymnastics people. THey are so muscluar and hardly use any weight (plates) except for like added resistance on pullups.And the thing is they only weigh like beetween 130-160lbs and that is impressive to have a body like that and such little weight.

But i wasnt looking for that, although i wanted to be able to do one arm chins and such, i still wanted to look big so i have since turned to weights and incorberate high intenisty pushups and stuff just to have some functional strength varity.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
In martial arts class we do pushups on the knuckles, the sides of the hands, the fingertips and triangle pushups where you form a triangle by joining the fingers and thumbs of both hands togther and resting them on the ground just under your chest and pushing up with hands in that position. It seems to work the triceps and chest but I can barely do them lol

top topics

join