It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Needed - photo analyst???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Ok, this is the photo.

This was taken the day after my grandfathers funeral. For various reasons which I wont go into, its very rare that the family are together. My Nanna wanted to get a photo of her kids all together for the first time since they were kids. She didnt want a sad funeral picture hence the smiles.

Now my dads family werent especially close, and my grandfather was not a very loving man. In fact he was positively cold and could be cruel. However, on his deathbed he sadi how sorry he was that he couldnt show more love. He said how proud he was of his family, and wished they could have been closer. This was very unexpected and strange to hear for the family, and very regretful that it had come so late. There was mention that there are no photos of the family together.

I am the photographer in this picture, the only people in the house are myself and those in the photo, I can categorically state there was noone else. The mirror shows a head/face IDENTICAL to that of my grandfather seemingly smiling. The reflection on the mirror is actually reflecting the exact spot of his chair. It is obscured a little by my uncle's head in the mirror. I cannot explain this photo, it looks like my grandad's face appearing somehow!

PLease note I am not claiming this to be anything, I simply dont know what this is.
Just for clarification, the image of the face appears to the right just off centre in the mirror. Thanks.

The original photo was so large that it crashed my computer whenever I opened it, so here is a scaled-down version:

This is the part of the picture in question. This is a crop of the original sized picture:

In my opinion, the best possible 'ghost picture' would be one where the ghost is so undisputably real, that it simply looks like a real person. This is the case in this photograph. It is hard for us to tell because we weren't in the house, but if I had taken this picture, it would be undenyable proof for me. There is indeed a person's face in the mirror. This is not a trick of light. The only thing is we can't be sure that a person was not actually there, so there is no way to prove to us that this is real.

Assuming that Knight783 is actually telling the truth, and nobody that looked like that was present, the only other option is that this is indeed a ghost.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Thats the key, and if I was an observer my first thought would be that its probably another person. All I can do is promise that it isnt. What I will try and do soon is post a picture of my grandfather so people can compare. There are no other bald people in my fmaily anyway. The pretext in believing this is accepting that noone else was in the room, and I cant prove this, so I totally understand cynicism.

The most imprtant point is this - I am not making any claims about this picture, I am asking people to accept my story for the truth that it is, and give their thoughts and opinions. In the meantime, I will go about asking permission to post a recent picture of my grandfather.

By the way, thanks Yarcofin

[edit on 10-3-2006 by Knight783]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Have been following this thread with interest since you started it earlier today.

Have to take you at your word that there were no others in the house, but can't see any reason for you not telling the truth, especially when it involves one of your own family.

I can see no other explanation other than a ghost.

Take it that you noticed nothing unusual when you were taking the photo ?.

Was it taken with a digital camera ? if not was the image in the mirror visable on the negative ?.

Also is your grandmother still living in the house ?

If so has she or anyone else noticed or felt anything unusual since the photo was taken?.

I'm only asking as I have heard of this sort of thing happening before and the image only appeared on the printed photo and not the negative.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
James - it was a digital camera. My nanna still lives at the house, and she has said she feels uncomfortable there, she wants to move out. Personally if I could feel a presence of a loved one I would be elated. I dont know why she feels the presence or why it is discomforting, and I also dont know if it can be attributed to being spooked by the picture.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Knight783,

Please check your U2Us. Just trying to confirm a few things.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knight783
James - it was a digital camera. My nanna still lives at the house, and she has said she feels uncomfortable there, she wants to move out. Personally if I could feel a presence of a loved one I would be elated. I dont know why she feels the presence or why it is discomforting, and I also dont know if it can be attributed to being spooked by the picture.

Don't feel too alarmed about your Nanna's feeling to move out of the house as thats not unusual for someone who has just lost a life long partner. The house and everything in it must bring back memories for her everytime she opens a cupboard or walks into a room and she may feel a smaller place would now suit her better now.

Its probably not got alot to do with the photo.

I'm no expert on any of this though - all I know is secondhand from other people so I wont say any more.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say. I expect you will get quite a bit of interest in this.

Hope you get some feedback which will be of help to you.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Wow mate thats a photo and a half!

I accept that you have no reason to lie or make the pics, so for me its a good solid ghost picture. If you can get an image of your grandad to compare it with I would say then we can see if it is a good solid ghost photo with proof!

Awesome - cheers for taking the time to post this.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Dear God..........

This is proberbly the most convincing (If Knight is indeed telling the truth) photos I have seen.

Thankyou very much for sharing this with us

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Please don't be offended Knight, but is there a reason your grandma is making the sign of Christ to ward off evil? Please don't get mad, it just struck me when I read your post again about her moving out of the house and looking at a larger blown up piccie. BTW the piccie has me convinced well and truely

Thanks for sharing, and hope the questions not offended you.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Im not offended but it just looks like that, she isnt making any sign as she isnt religious in any way. Really, I wouldnt read anything into that.

Im not going to actually put a recent photo on the thread, I hope everyone understands but I have thought about it and I dont think its very respectful for me even to ask. I initially didnt forsee the obvious problems of this being disbelieved, because its me thats involved and it did happen, but taking a step back and putting myself in an outsiders shoes I have to be honest and say I would be skeptical. All I can say is I have no reason to be dishonest. Theres nothing to gain for me, Im not trying to prove anything, and in actual fact Im a non-believer in the conventional idea of ghosts.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
No mate we were just chatting about the piccie in chat, and we all to a man believe the piccie to be genuine. We have no reason to doubt what you say, and appreciate just how hard it must of been to post this and mention the story. Thanks for the post mate.

Its got chat talking all evening!

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
i cant believe noone noticed this.. the FIRST thing that looked "ghostly" to me was in the red circle

Anyone see the outline of the guy? you can even make out the eyes and mouth.. very eary..

yarco, can you post up the higher res version? I want to see if i can mess with it a bit.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knight783
Theres nothing to gain for me, Im not trying to prove anything, and in actual fact Im a non-believer in the conventional idea of ghosts.

Being a non-believer/skeptic myself, in the conventional sense, and considering the manner in which you have presented this is all the more reason for any skeptic to look long and hard, at least in my opinion.?!

What we are seeing is not the typical fuzzy, faded, out-of-focus image where the presenter has to "draw" circles around it for others to see the "image". The reflected image is extremely clear with absolutely no sign of alteration. Again, in my opinion and from a very skeptical stance, this is by far one of the most revealing photos I have ever seen.

Knight, I don't think you should feel any need to "backup" or substantiate this in any way, shape or form. The image speaks for itself ... at least from my viewpoint. I have been presented with photos and videos that held much less, if any, definitve value yet they were considered, by the presenter, as the end-all-beat-all of paranormal proof.

On an aside, I offer my condolence to you and your family for your recent loss. May he rest in peace.

[edit: to add]
noslenwerd,

I'm not sure just what you are trying to find here. Perhaps the reflected image is just too realistic for you to consider it "ghostly", I don't know ?! Are you missing that which baffled Knight to the point that he/she felt the need to inquire as to the source/cause/possibility? Just curious?

[edit on 3/10/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well, someone with more photographic measurement skill should be able to figure out an approximate distance the "extra" is away from the mirror and the other people, based on the distances indicated by the mirror reflections of the other people. Know what I mean?

And if the extra is close enough to everyone and the mirror so that they'd have to have been included in the camera's field of view, but not there, that would be something in your favor.

Just a thought.

Was that the only picture of the scene taken, or available? Another similar photo not showing the extra would be helpful.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The first thing i noticed was the symbology the lady in blue was displaying with her left hand. Somebody may have had the pleasure of snapping a pic of a demon.

[edit]
I'd like to get ahold of the full sized image myself.
[/edit]

[edit on 10-3-2006 by WiseSheep]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'd be happy to assist if I can get a hold of the original full-size image...

It's a little difficult to make heads or tails of anything just yet...

My impression so far, although I realize it contradicts your story knight, is that the person in the mirror is standing behind the photographer...

I would need to look a lot closer...The other reflection is of interest too....

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Noslenwerd-

The figure in the mirror which you are making reference to is the first one I noticed. But I instantly attributed this to being a reflection of the photographer himself. Perhaps that explains the distortion and such, due to the flash of the camera.

Maybe the photographer can rule this in or out for us? Are you the other figure in the mirror???

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Hi Knight783,

Intriguing photo you have there. That it was taken with a digital camera (what's the camera's pixel resolution? What make of camera?), and that the camera's own flash was used, means we can discount the almost occluded shadowy face as nothing more than pixel bleed. Also, your brain is registering the seemingly human facial characteristics from the smears of the cleaning solution used on the mirror earlier (that is on both mirrors, the larger and the smaller [shown in the larger mirror's reflection]). When you factor in other elements, such as the inherent error of the camera's exposure metering system not handling correctly the varying light intensity across the focal plane of the lens, you can end up with these optical illusions. Truly, that is all it is.

However, the bright illuminated face is a different matter. It has a plasticity about it, and has a monochromatic illumination (with a very slight orangy cast aroud its profile, but this could be created by the electronics of the camera). If this was another person, they would have similar colouring to everyone else, and I would think that they would be looking at the people being photographed, and thus, in the mirror's reflection, the face would most certainly be full or 3 quarters front facing. The gaze, however, is at a right angle to both the group being photographed and the photographer. This is what makes the photograph interesting, because the right angle gaze gives credence to this not being a staged setup (except of course for those being photographed).

I have a bit of a theory concerning some images captured on both film and digital cameras. Modern cameras (say over the last ten years) send out an infra-red light to gauge distance for the correct amount of flash illumination to use. Normally, this infra-red signal is not picked up by the film or the ccd of the camera. Digital cameras (inexpensive ones particularly) do tend to show up abberations (orbs and mist) due to less than quality engineering and electronics.

Here's my conclusion using the information available. Your family tend to rarely be together at the same time, and as this was a day after your grandfather's funeral, I would suggest that your grandfather, now knowing that we survive death, has paid you all a visit to show you his delight in his post-mortem consciousness (perhaps he had not expected it) and wanted to be part of the gathering.
I think the infra-red light from the camera has co-operated with the flash to show his presence. The illumination of your grandfather is his own, coming from within him.
Until more information becomes available, I will consider this as being a highly plausible spirit capture. Well done!

Regards

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Great pic. Just a general question. Is the grandfather's head smaller appearance in relation to the other people a result of proximity to the other subjects or is that the true size as it appears in the mirror? In other words, is the face materialzing directly in the mirror or is it a reflection of him observed from a distance. Sorry for the "untechnical" nature of this question, as I am not that versed in photography jargon.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join