It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Former D.C. Mayor Receives Probation After Failure to Pay Taxes for Six Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Marion Barry, DC Council member and former four-term Mayor, has been sentenced to three years probation for failure to pay taxes from 1999 to 2004. Barry, 70, tested positive for coc aine and marijuana in a drug test ordered by the court last fall. Tax returns, filed last month, show that he owes in excess of $240,000 plus interest and late fees. While admitting fault, his stated defense was that he is broke and cares too much about others to take care of his own financial well being.

www.washingtonpost.com
D.C. Council member and former mayor Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) this morning was sentenced to three years probation for misdemeanor charges of failing to pay federal and local taxes.

Barry, who tested positive for coc aine and marijuana use in a court-ordered drug test last fall, will also have to submit to further drug testing, or treatment, if ordered to do so by the probation office, U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah A. Robinson said.
According to tax returns Barry filed last month, he owes as much as $246,000 in taxes, plus interest and penalties, prosecutors said. But Barry said he will soon file amended returns, with more deductions, that will decrease the amount somewhat. He must then negotiate with federal and D.C. authorities to decide how much he will pay, and how quickly.

Prosecutors say Barry earned more than $530,000 during the six years in which no returns were filed. But Barry's attorney, Frederick D. Cooke Jr., said in court that despite that income, Barry was broke and "almost paralyzed by the embarrassment of being without the means to pay his taxes."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Since we, in the US, are currently well into the 2005 tax season, I found this to be an extremely relevant story.

Marion Barry, D.C. Council member, former four-term Mayor and convicted felon, earned an average income in excess of $85,000 a year over the six year period, yet he is broke with no means to pay his taxes. Not only did he fail to pay his taxes, he failed to even file returns for six years. The result of said actions is a mere three years probation and payment of the $240,000+ in outstanding taxes, interest and late payment fees. Due to his documented drug use, and recent positive test results, he may have to undergo additional treatment and testing throughout the probationary period.

In my opinion, this man has skirted true justice more times than a cat has lives. Looking back over his much publicized political career, his subsequent felony conviction resulting from the Candid Camera sting operation, and now the conviction for nonpayment of taxes, one has to wonder. Had he been a typical John/Jane Doe his current view of the world would most definitely be from behind the bars of a correctional facility, but not so for Mr. Barry.

Thoughts?

Related News Links:
today.reuters.c om
seattlepi.nwsource.com

[edit on 3/9/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I lived in the Washington D.C. area during much of Marion Barry's tenure as mayor and I have nothing but contempt for the man. They should have imprisoned him while they had the chance.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This warrants being posted and the Dubai port deal collapse doesn't? What kind of above top secret is this? I guess the pro-Bush apologists didn't want to broadcast his political failure in this huh? Leave Marion alone, the man has problems.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The thing that gets me is: I live in DC now but when I first moved here back in sept. 2001, I lived in Northern VA. Virginia tried to say that i didn't pay my state taxes in 2001. I paid my other state taxes but failed to report my VA tax that year (which is correct). But they said I owed a years worth but I ended up only oweing from Sept. on and actually, they owed me money.

The point of my story is: VA tried to garner my waiges after only like 3 years and I paid most of them.....in reality I paid it all and was due back some. How can someone get away with NOT paying taxes at all for 6 years?

new topics

top topics

join