It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

350 Americans evicted from their cages.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If you haven't already downloaded "Google Earth" your missing out !

From a distance we still look pretty, but if you are interested in getting a better understanding and let's say an accurate perception of what is happening to these people.

After you download Google Earth zoom in on
"4100 S Alameda St Los Angeles"

As you zoom in you will notice that it is the only thing green in the area, and as you get closer you'll see the latest results on the experiment that is being conducted on US.

These people live on the ground in their individual cages, they are somewhat "self sufficient" , trying to be organic, they have been there for 13 years,
and they are being evicted.

www.southcentralfarmers.com...
commonvision.org...

LOS ANGELES – Former vice-presidential candidate Peter Camejo – who has
announced he will run for Governor – will hold a major news conference
Thursday to comment on the pending eviction of 350 families who have been
sustaining themselves for 13 years on a 14-acre South Central community
farm, the largest U.S. urban farm.

~~~~~~~
The city allowed the South LA community to develop this land into a
productive farm in 1992. The city secretly decided to sell it to developer
Ralph Horowitz for about $5 million dollars in a back-room deal without
public hearings. Horowitz is now demanding $16 million from the 350 families.

The farmers were to be evicted March 6, but have vowed to remain and even
risk arrest.

This guy is a former vice presidential candidate and now he's running for governor, do you think the media was there?

I went there to see this myself Monday, it's amazing.

Did anybody else hear about this?

Mod Edit: Posting work written by others. – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
wow thats really sad.

These people live quiet lives, do their own thing and eat organic foods that are home grown. No wonder the goverment don't like them : They may be free of aspartamine and GM ingredients.....And if you remove peoples ability to grow food you can increase their dependance on the state.

First the big farmers, now onto the small farmers.....sad sad sad

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Question:

What the heck does this have to do with the war on terrorism?

-Task-

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
It doesn't but its still a sad story. peoples lives are affected here...its terrorism from the state.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasketo
Question:

What the heck does this have to do with the war on terrorism?

-Task-

It has everything to do with the war on terrorism.
This is what we do with Americans.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
this just in

The city has pledged in writing to prevent the eviction of the South Central Farmers as long as negotiations continue between Horowitz and the Trust for public land.

Maybe they took my advice.

I showed them the "right button" and gave them the power to do whatever they wanted with it. It looks like they didn't have to press it very far.

DAMMIT MAN !!! I wish like hell they would have had to push it!

They could have set it off, it would have been pure poetic justice.

Oh well, I was working on something else better before I found out about this opportunity.

Peace/Out

Mod Edit: Posting work written by others. – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
~~

i did read as much as the site program allowed me to,

suddenly, I was informed that I must log in to read further.

the thing that popped out at me was this one sentence....
it went something like this;

In 2003 the City Council decided to sell the property
back to the original owner, Mr. R. Horowitz....etc etc

the way i see it, the 14 acres was bought by the city for a dump or whatever......the locals voted against using the 14 acres for that purpose,
it only stands to reason that if the property cannot be utilized by the local gov't & for the purpose intended...
then the original owner should be given first crack at recovery- in this case the acreage, and the former owner (Horowitz) should only have to pay what the gov't paid him for the (was it condemed or eminant domain?) Land !
Its just a case of restoring the man's home/holdings/legacy/life
or whatever....it makes no never-mind if Horowitz is a wealthy RealEstate
mogul....it was he or his LLP or Corp that lost title to the land,
My View is he has a right to reclaim it if the local gov't can't use the property.

the 350 families should be glad that they had a span of years in which they were granted the privledge of practising urban farming, by the largesse of the local gov't...but that chapter is closed...if we are all to follow Laws that
are on the books already.

sorry, i'm (shudder) in the fat-cats corner on this one

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I wont stand in the fat cats corner, if they are the only green thing around and in most cities thats the case the city should put them down as a "beauty project" and leave them the heck alone. Pay the guy for the land and put it in the peoples name and set strick rules as to what they can and cannot do on the land. Frankly it would be FAR wiser to get kids from schools out there with the farmers and help them grow things and experiance farming since they will probably never see one again thanks to corporate farming. If the land belongs to someone else and these are just "squatters" then leave them alone because frankly they are doing something positive, and if others want to do this as well GREAT! help them along to get farms back and get the public involved in community gardens. Something like that breeds social well being and less paranoia, trying to shut them down and force them out causes paranoia.
If the guy who owns it raises a stink then pay him the allocated amount for it and be done with it, if its the other way around and he let the people live there then leave them alone. The city doesnt need another dump or skyscraper, they need more farms and parks.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
What Horowitz wants a $11 million dollar profit instantly just because he has insider connections? What a greedy &^$%#&*.

Life is good at the top.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This is in the wrong forum.

Are we to post all 'hippies moved on' stories here? or just the ones that involve America?

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm not sure where a thread containing information concerning these living conditions belongs, certainly NOT in this country.
It is because of the distraction caused by the "war of terror" that most Americans are oblivious to the massive amounts of terror that exist right here at home.

"Are we to post all 'hippies moved on' stories here? or just the ones that involve America?"

You blooming idiot, the farmers of South Central are not "hippies"... the people who make "Common Vision" possible arrived there Monday to show their support.

"My View is he has a right to reclaim it if the local gov't can't use the property."

That pretty much sums it up, a 13 yr old self sustaining community wide organic farming project involving 350 families is not considered as "useful".
Nobody appreciates this example.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Again thanks for moving this - could we try and move posts earlier where US domestic issues end up in WoT.

I'm sure US ATS'ers wouldn't be interested in the planning regime in Llangollen N. Wales and its effect on communities of back to the earth types living in the forest.

Even if I posted this 'news' I wouldn't do it in WoT

[edit on 10-3-2006 by Strangerous]

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
wow thats really sad.

These people live quiet lives, do their own thing and eat organic foods that are home grown. No wonder the goverment don't like them : They may be free of aspartamine and GM ingredients.....And if you remove peoples ability to grow food you can increase their dependance on the state.

Yup. A heavily urbanized and centralized society is an enslaved and easy to control society. People who are independant and self sufficent are truly freemen, and thus, the government has no gun to hold to their heads.

The same thing will happen to people who try and produce their own renewable energy.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

The same thing will happen to people who try and produce their own renewable energy.

Well, if that's the case, they're going to have a tough time with me. I'm selling my suburban home and moving even further into the hinterland.
My ideal is a substantial lot where I can suppliment my groceries with homegrown, close to fresh water and game and on it build a home which is geothermally heated and powered by both solar and wind turbine. I'm giving myself about 2 years to see it through, but the plans are made.

I'm not going through this turmoil only for myself, though...I want my kids to have someplace they can go to when the 'apple cart tips'.

There's a lot of good information on how to do this...but i'm afraid that living like those brave souls in South Central LA is more play acting than reality. I applaud those people, though, because their heads are in the right space...just the wrong place.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Well, if that's the case, they're going to have a tough time with me. I'm selling my suburban home and moving even further into the hinterland.
My ideal is a substantial lot where I can suppliment my groceries with homegrown, close to fresh water and game and on it build a home which is geothermally heated and powered by both solar and wind turbine. I'm giving myself about 2 years to see it through, but the plans are made.

I'm not going through this turmoil only for myself, though...I want my kids to have someplace they can go to when the 'apple cart tips'.

There's a lot of good information on how to do this...but i'm afraid that living like those brave souls in South Central LA is more play acting than reality. I applaud those people, though, because their heads are in the right space...just the wrong place.

Good plan, smart man. Hurry up.

top topics

join