It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Set for Hottest Temperature on Earth: 3.6 Billion Degrees in Lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
BEHOLD THE Z MACHINE:

Record Set for Hottest Temperature on Earth: 3.6 Billion Degrees in Lab

Thats all good and fine, except for the whole oops factor. The sun burns at about 15,000,000 degrees kelvin. This little oops they made was something in the range of 2,000,000,000 degrees kelvin. When I'm creating a super-heated plasma that burns a thousand times hotter than the sun I at least like to know how I did it. I faintly remember reading in some book, I think hyperspace maybe, that at that temperature matter exists in a sort of quantum soup. At a certain temperature, a few million degrees, atoms fall apart into their individual parts. Once we get up into the billions they break down again into their respective quarks. Goddamn I love science. I hear these results will soon be utilized in the world's largest george forman grill. Greaseless meat for everyone! We can also thank this mahvelous invention for accelerating a small plate from zero to 76,000 mph in less than a second. Anyone have any ideas as to what the "mystery force" might be?

Technical Voodoo:"What happened and why?Z's energies in these experiments raised several questions.First, the radiated x-ray output was as much as four times the expected kinetic energy input.Ordinarily, in non-nuclear reactions, output energies are less not greater than the total input energies. More energy had to be getting in to balance the books, but from where could it come?Second, and more unusually, high ion temperatures were sustained after the plasma had stagnated that is, after its ions had presumably lost motion and therefore energy and therefore heat as though yet again some unknown agent was providing an additional energy source to the ions.Sandia's Z machine normally works like this: 20 million amps of electricity pass through a small core of vertical tungsten wires finer than human hairs. The core is about the size of a spool of thread. The wires dissolve instantly into a cloud of charged particles called a plasma.The plasma, caught in the grip of the very strong magnetic field accompanying the electrical current, is compressed to the thickness of a pencil lead. This happens very rapidly, at a velocity that would fly a plane from New York to San Francisco in several seconds.At that point, the ions and electrons have nowhere further to go. Like a speeding car hitting a brick wall, they stop suddenly, releasing energy in the form of X-rays that reach temperatures of several million degrees the temperature of solar flares.The new achievement temperatures of billions of degrees was obtained in part by substituting steel wires in cylindrical arrays 55 mm to 80 mm in diameter for the more typical tungsten wire arrays, approximately only 20 mm in diameter. The higher velocities achieved over these longer distances were part of the reason for the higher temperatures.(The use of steel allowed for detailed spectroscopic measurements of these temperatures impossible to obtain with tungsten.)Haines theorized that the rapid conversion of magnetic energy to a very high ion plasma temperature was achieved by unexpected instabilities at the point of ordinary stagnation: that is, the point at which ions and electrons should have been unable to travel further. The plasma should have collapsed, its internal energy radiated away. But for approximately 10 nanoseconds, some unknown energy was still pushing back against the magnetic field."

[edit on 9-3-2006 by entropy+]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Anyone have any ideas as to what the "mystery force" might be?

From the article you posted...

Doing so without vaporizing the plates was possible because of the finer control now achievable of the magnetic field pulse that drives the flight.

This has also been posted already as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
As far as I can tell, this makes three posts on this same topic. I find the article intensly interesting, but it is hard to keep up with all three of them.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
My bad gentlemen, I searched briefly but saw nothing.

top topics

join