It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Recommend Some Podcasts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I've tried sampling some podcasts, here at ATS and elsewhere, and I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of most of what I hear. This isn't my question, but why do most podcasts suck?

I've got a lot of faith in and respect for the ATS community, though, so I'm asking for some recommendations for good podcasts. What are the best podcasts you've heard here at ATS?

One rule: Please do not just recommend your own podcast. Any recommendations of podcasts by their creator will be ignored. I want honest appraisals, not self-promotion. What are the best podcasts you've heard here?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
2 of 3 Amigos have some excellent shows.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Any and All:
Skeptic Overviews
2 out of 3 Amigos
The Zedd SHow

Some of my favorites, in no particular order. There's serious talk, funny stuff and music (yes, my music is in there!

www.abovetopsecret.com... (4 parter)
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com... (excellent thread!!)
www.abovetopsecret.com... (Willypalooza)
www.abovetopsecret.com... (Who are you?)

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
'Tis sad to see that you think the majority of our podcasts suck...
I'm rather quite proud of the way ATS podcasting has gone, albeit it COULD use more informative content, but that's only a quantitative problem and not a qualitative problem. We need more podcasters, as alot of the oldschool podcasters in here have dissapeared.
WHERED ALL THE PODCASTERS GO, DOO DAA DOO DAA!?!

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Doo Dah, Doo Dah...

I think Zedd hit it the other day with his cast on podfading. Most podcasters don't make it to their tenth cast. That seems to have come into play here. Even the SO has to be badgered into making a podcast anymore. I have close to a hundred podcasts but even I seem to be fading off the scene.

Perhaps podcasting was just a fad that met a quick and timely death, only to be enjoyed now by the occasional voyeur that gets an itch.

It's a nice tool to have in the arsenal, but i'm not at war.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Define "sucks". what sucks, the sound quality, the subject matter, the file size, the music choices? What would you like to hear?
I'd ditto most of what the previous posters have said and add ATStrogen

Off site, I heard a really good four part sci fi radio drama called "the Voice of God", that can be downloaded from bbc7. It's about secret directed energy weapons in the outback of australia.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by vuoto
I've tried sampling some podcasts, here at ATS and elsewhere, and I'm pretty disappointed with the quality of most of what I hear. This isn't my question, but why do most podcasts suck?

Why don't you grab a mike and try recording a few of your own?

I agree with most of the recommends above. If you managed to get anyway into the "My Rights Vs. Your Rights" thread or any of the Admin-run shows and you still reckon Podcasts suck, then there is very little we can do for you dude.

As for the Podfading malarky, I think we need to get our heads together and come up with ways to get more podcasters on board and some form of regular show. Intermittance will often lead to lack of interest.....

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Given my work schedule and the recent round of ATS changes, it's hard to do a new Skeptic Overview each week... but there will be a new one within the next 2-3 days.

vuoto, keep in mind that podcasting on ATS is a bit different. While some of our members create material for a broad audience and attempt to interject appropriate production values, many of the individual podcasts are part of a more collaborative "community podcasting" concept... where it's more important to say your peace than produce it.

That being said... have you checked out the BTS Music podcasts? Some of our members have cranked out some amazing work.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
SO, I'm sorry to say that I seem to be the podcaster who's going to be filling up half your skeptic overview segment on the podspace at ats... unfortunately, lol!
Would be great to have some fresh meat come into ATS podspace, but the fade does seem to be having an effect.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I recommend downloading anything by Majic or MrWupy. All of their podcasts are generally excellent quality, and entertaining.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
What are you looking for?

There is music, and may i say, incredible singing as well.

Conspiracies?

Why dont you create the perfect podcast??? Not trying to be fresh here but, why not create your own???

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by fingapointa
Define "sucks". what sucks, the sound quality, the subject matter, the file size, the music choices?

First, a podcast has to have some properties that require listening rather than reading. The thing I find in many podcasts is that there's no good reason for them to exist beyond a person's desire to hear their voice recorded. The only difference between a p'cast and a 10 year old with a Wollensak back in the 50's playing "radio man" is that the podcast can be distributed to millions of people. As for music, there are enough sources of music on the web. If you want to list your favorite songs, go ahead, and maybe I'll find one and listen. There's a reason that good dj's get paid: because most people don't know how to do it.

Next, the subject matter in most podcasts is treated in a jokey or childish manner. Have you ever heard three stoned pre-teens playing with a tape recorder? That's what most podcast sound like.

There are people here at ATS who have unique and informative things to say about important topics. But again, what's to be gained by making it a podcast beyond the fact that what I could have read in 10 minutes now requires an hour of my listening time?

My idea of a great podcast would be an Art Bell show without commercials. There is something to be said for gripping radio. I recently downloaded a Jeff Rense Show with Alex Jones, and even though I don't care for Rense, it made for an interesting podcast experience.

Here's what I'd like: a serious podcast on UFOs or Aliens that I could listen to as I fall asleep and would give me wild nightmares. But there has to be something about the audio experience that makes it superior to reading a thread, capisce?

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

here's a reason that good dj's get paid: because most people don't know how to do it.

I guess I would say go buy something then.

Since your going to insult the people that do what they do here for FREE as a waste of your time (falling asleep - lol) or not being serious enough for you, then I say don't bother.

Go rent a movie or something. Now if you want to pay me...I'd be happy to meet your high quality standards.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
...why not create your own???

amen to that dg!

While some of what vuoto says may be true about a couple of podcasters who don't present anything other than self indulgent ramblings, people listen to podcasts for different reasons- some for enjoyment, some to discuss more serious issues, and others who may just be curious. Sounds to me like vuoto is just too lazy to go through and explore the podcasts that have been presented here so far.

Visit this link of the podcasts (sorted by replies) and you will see some of the more engaging podcast threads here at ATS. If that ain't good enough, then I suggest you go back to Art Bell- and I like the bellmaster, too.

And frankly, your comments about the music podcasts done here are pretty distasteful vuoto. There has been some good discussion generated here between artists and listeners. But I suppose you never saw that either. You never looked.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

As for music, there are enough sources of music on the web.

Oops! Don't listen to the list I put up there, then.

But again, what's to be gained by making it a podcast beyond the fact that what I could have read in 10 minutes now requires an hour of my listening time?

(You read really fast!)

Here's what I'd like: a serious podcast on UFOs or Aliens that I could listen to as I fall asleep and would give me wild nightmares.

Good luck with your search.

But there has to be something about the audio experience that makes it superior to reading a thread, capisce?

Capisce. For me, it's community. And that (for the most part) is what's happening with ATS PODcasts right now,

If you had said all this in your first post, I wouldn't have wasted my time searching through all the pages to come up with something that would meet your standards.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I recommend downloading anything by Majic or MrWupy. All of their podcasts are generally excellent quality, and entertaining.

Majic's PodCasts have excellent production quality and are never lacking style and substance.

MrWupy rates high on creativity.

I remember a certain Christmas PodCast... But the name of the responsible party escapes me.

[edit on 10/3/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I cant help but hope this thread doesnt go into a second page. I hope my post makes it on the first.

Dude, what are you looking for? Professional podcasts??? There are websites out there where they will be more than happy to take your money and give you a slightly better one than we can.

Look for them. They are out there. Personally, i enjoy listening to "ours" and get to know who people are and what they are feeling.

Good job with your hunt for perfection.

new topics

top topics

join