It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consistency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
TinWiki is just starting out and if we tackle issues with consistency now we will have less work to do in the future.

One issue is the headline for linked ATS threads.

Nygdan and I have been discussing using the head line “Relevant Discussion Threads.”
Discussion here tinwiki.org...

Early on we agreed on that, and we have both been headlining ATS links this way.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Please post other issues with consistency as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
As I wrote to that page earlier today, there's a difference between articles and discussion in Wiki and that page is an article, not a discussion...

IMO the article page should contain the results of the discussion, not the discussion itself.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Count, Nygdan created that page perhaps you can send him a U2U and sort it out? Perhaps William One Sac needs to be contacted?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sure, I can do that.

I'm far from being a "true" Wikiophile but having maintained one at work I've learned some do's and don'ts

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
That is more experience than me Count

Any experience no matter how small is very valuable right now. Thankfully we have a discussion board for tinWiki.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm still learning the "wiki way" so I'm not sure if I correctly used the discussion page at tinWiki.

It's a great idea, but I'm a little worried about the disparaging tone I find on the main page. There are some topics on ATS to which paranoia is not the best reaction. I don't mind a snarky tone, but when you dismiss the entire panoply of topics discussed here as being no better than campfire stories.

I've maintained before here that ATS has the potential to be a crucial nexus of truth at a time when most of the rest of the media is being used by the powerful in the most cynical way. That we have a community of open minds at a time when those in power encourage us to have closed minds so we're more compliant as we watch the razor wire go up around us. If we start from the assumption that we're all a bunch of paranoids who hear voices through the television (while it's turned off), then we might as well be the National Enquirer. If we start from an attitude of at least some modicum of self-respect, we may just prevent a trivialization and marginilization of issues that may well be central to our near future.

The question is, will ATS be for yuks or will it be for real?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The U2Us have been sent, hopefully either Nygdan or WoS corrects the matter (or tells me to do it
)

On the third hand, it's not totally clear to me how incidents in TinWiki are handled. Currently there's no mapping between ATS and TinWiki userspaces, so it would be rather easy to impersonate someone and create questionable content or participate in Edit war without the 'real' user even knowing what is happening.

So I'd like to know if acts committed on TinWiki have consequences on the board - or vice versa - and is there going to be a process to handle these matters.

For example, I could've easily converted the Tinwiki_Initiatives article page into a stub article stating the goals which are going to be reached and moved the current discussion into tinwiki.org...:Tinwiki_Initiatives" target="_blank" class="postlink">Talk:Tinwiki_Initiatives, but I felt that I would've overstepped my rights as an ATS user - even though Wiki is all about equal access and open editing.

It's extremely important for the future success of TinWiki that we can set down the guidelines and goals in a way which enables anyone to create meaningful and useful content without having to do excessive editing.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I'll volunteer to help in any which way I can.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Edit War?!?
I hope I never have a run in with one. War is no fun and I come here for fun

I felt that I would've overstepped my rights as an ATS

I'm sure it is no big deal. Changes can be undone relatively easy. It would be nice though if we had something like an ATS/tinWiki T&C.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
One consistency that I can see being needed is the references to ATS.com. Currently there are no entries for ATS, but that means that currently every reference to AboveTopSecret goes to www.abovetopsecret.com, without giving any actual info about what ATS is.

We are also going to need someone to watch spelling consistencies, such as Reptiloid vs. Reptilian vs. the typos Reptilloid and Reptillian, etc..

EDIT: It would also be nice to see the links to ATS threads sorted somehow, instead of in a haphazard mess.

EDIT2: Yep, we're definitely going to need people to check cross-referencing for new entries. ie. when new entries are created someone will need to search the entire database for mentions of it in the body of text and change it to a wiki reference link.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by nrky]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Count
For example, I could've easily converted the Tinwiki_Initiatives article page into a stub article stating the goals which are going to be reached and moved the current discussion into tinwiki.org...:Tinwiki_Initiatives" target="_blank" class="postlink">Talk:Tinwiki_Initiatives, but I felt that I would've overstepped my rights as an ATS user -

You are entirely correct on the matter, so a correction probably would've been well received. I suppose its best to leave a note on a user's talk page for a big change, but that's really more of a courtesy than a requirement no? I have a little experience with the regular wikipedia, things can get testy for sure.

Umbrax
Edit War?!?

I've actually been invovled in one or two of those, luckily one me and the other guy were able to resolve. In another one, the other guy became an 'editor', but he was recognized as such a prick, that he was forced out or something.
Anything involving ethnic groups and nationalities and the like, and of course politics, can become an edit war.
Essentially, because of what wikis are, there isn't much of a way to deal with them, other than to stop 'vandalism' and make sure that articles are from a Neutral and Objective point of view.

It would be nice though if we had something like an ATS/tinWiki T&C.

For my own part it shoudl probably be no more than 'write and edit from an objective and neutral point of view, stick to conspiracy topics, if you are banned, don't try to sign up again' etc.

nrky
of it in the body of text and change it to a wiki reference link.

What I have noticed in the wikipedia is that people will make words that probably are or could be entries into links without checking. Then what one can do is peruse the special pages for the list of 'links without articles', and then add them as one sees fit. People will also be able to see when reading something that there is no entry, and might be spurred to make one then and there.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The point that was raised above was a good one. It would be cool if we could submit our registrations for TinWiki via ATS somehow, thus reserving our ATS membernames for ourselves in TinWiki.

Since I got in early I have mine, but I'd have been pretty good and ticked if somebody had gotten the name The Vagabond on TinWiki and made himself unwelcome using my name.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
That would be crummy if someone intentionally registered under your name and did bad things. WOS would not be fooled though he can just compare IPs and make everything good again.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I could just check ip's. Also, I had never heard the term reptiloid before the entry was made in to tinwiki.org. I had always heard of them referred to as reptoids or reptilians. I am glad to see that some people are really taking an interst in our very own tinwiki, tinfoil aside...

new topics

top topics

join