It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAE Port Deal Dead!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
UAE Port Deal Dead!

Just reported on CNN

CNN Port Deal Dead

And Bush saves face!

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This port deal is just the start in the massive fall from power of our current president. Everyone see's him as weak and they will all start piling on, and down he will go. Congress can't stand him and either can the majority of the population now that he has shown us what an ass he really is. Even the blind right wing christians could see his behind this time.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oilbourse2006
UAE Port Deal Dead!

Just reported on CNN

CNN Port Deal Dead

And Bush saves face!

There should not have even been a deal. And, no, Bush did not save face. He still looks like an ass and is sticking to his guns. I am glad he will not be back for another term.

Good for all the senators and congressmen, they finally did something worthwhile, and they did it right.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Good for the USA!

This deal really had me worried that I would wake and watch a nuke sail inot a harbour and wipe out thousands...good news i'd say.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oilbourse2006
UAE Port Deal Dead!

Just reported on CNN

CNN Port Deal Dead

And Bush saves face!

Ubelievable ... Now you criticize him because the Dubay comapny step bakc ... the man can't fart without beeing blamed of killing someone can he ??

So much for the conspiracies, hey ???

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Personally, I'll have to wait until more information is available regarding just who/what the "US entity" turns out to be. For now, my concerns would be of a possible foreign-owned US subsidiary. Who knows?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
Good for the USA!

This deal really had me worried that I would wake and watch a nuke sail inot a harbour and wipe out thousands...good news i'd say.

This really doesn't change anything...

It's still only 4% or whatever of cargo that is screened.

(also, even if the deal had gone through, the US coast guard and US Customs would have still been in charge of security like they always have been and always will be)

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Personally, I'll have to wait until more information is available regarding just who/what the "US entity" turns out to be.

That was my first thought. I can't see Bush giving in or giving up. I'll reserve judgment of this deal until I see what it really is.

I don't trust it.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

It's still only 4% or whatever of cargo that is screened.

BINGO ! and thats why i never gave much importance to this deal... Dubay or no dubay, for all we know the dreadfull next terror attack could have came in throu the ports controled by china... there you go... this was nothing but a big fat charade the Demcorats put up to try to get some votes... LOL...

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
- TOTAL BOGUS DISTRACTION -

So Congress is in 'security conscious mode' now, huh? Let's see if you hear a peep about Communist Chinese port ownership OR our barely protected bottom border, for starters.

I still have faith that the people will see through this 'bi-partisan' political scam and kick out every incumbent in government.

[Not related subject matter, but I find it interesting how Hillary Clinton and Trent Lott have teamed up to try to return FEMA to an independent gov't entity
]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
Good for the USA!

How does this make us any safer? Do you realize that if/when the threat comes, it will come from outside the US? How has that source of danger lessened?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Perhaps I am just paranoid but for some reason I have had a bad feeling in my gut ever since I found out the UAE port deal was closed. For some reason I guess I felt we were doing it more for something behind the scenes where we needed these dudes help for something.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisAgain
- TOTAL BOGUS DISTRACTION -

So Congress is in 'security conscious mode' now, huh? Let's see if you hear a peep about Communist Chinese port ownership OR our barely protected bottom border, for starters.

I still have faith that the people will see through this 'bi-partisan' political scam and kick out every incumbent in government.

[Not related subject matter, but I find it interesting how Hillary Clinton and Trent Lott have teamed up to try to return FEMA to an independent gov't entity
]

Thank you Thank you Thank you ... I had to vote you for >>> WAT

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisAgain

I heard Hillary say today, in her opposition to putting troops on the Mexican border, that doing so would amount to a police state.

It's time to start wooing the hispanic vote, I guess.

Edit: she was actually speaking against sending the 10 million or so illegals that are currently here. back. That according to her, would amount to a police state.

But of course she had no solution. Just a complaint.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Actually, from what I'm hearing on the news, the port deal isn't
entirely dead.

UAE says they will sell the American part of the deal to another
company. We still have to see what that company is and if the
UAE is actually going to be pulling the strings at this company.

Will the new company just be a buffer between UAE and the
port deal? Meaning the UAE still will have control?

I also heard Donald Trump was in the mix somehow. I think
he owns part of the UAE management folks that were going
to run the ports.

This isn't dead yet.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I'm with a few others here. I didn't jump on the scare tactic bandwagon. We aren't trying to sell our ports to "terrorists." Just because it's a company from the middle east does not mean we shouldn't let them own our ports. Or, is this a racism thing? You know... Because they are from the middle east...

Anyway... Just thought I would add a link to the discussion. I thought this was a pretty fair read on Dubai Inc.

Dubai Inc. a.k.a. The terrorism front company.

External Source

Without much oil under its sands, Dubai is no petro powerhouse. But you can't beat it for being the most colorful sheikdom in the Middle East--or the most ambitious. What other desert land can claim one of the world's largest indoor ski slopes, featuring fresh powder year round? While flying in on the stylish, state-owned Emirates Airlines, you might notice the artificial islands in the shape of a palm tree or the 56-story Burj al-Arab hotel, as tall as the Eiffel Tower, built like a billowing sail. Westerners are welcome, along with their vices. Europeans in bikinis mingle on the beach with Muslim women in abayas; alcohol flows freely at Dubai's nightclubs and resorts.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
From today's WP:

The decision by Dubai Ports World to abandon its effort to take over terminal operations at six U.S. seaports was a victory for the numerous politicians who have thundered in recent days that foreign companies have no business handling U.S. port operations.

But foreign firms remain deeply embedded in nearly every major port in the country. And transferring ownership of those operations to U.S. companies could cause serious problems in an industry in which nearly all of the shipping is controlled by foreign interests.

Because of the Dubai ports flap, the public has learned that the majority of terminals at U.S. ports -- especially big ones such as Los Angeles and Long Beach in California, and New York and New Jersey -- are managed by companies from Singapore, Taiwan, Denmark, South Korea and other countries. And as President Bush pointed out in defending the Dubai Ports World deal, the port-management company targeted for takeover, Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., is British.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Personally I have no problem with a UAE company running the US port operations. Or most countries for that matter. What DID and still DOES bother me was the way the whole vetting process was run. It seemed like the arrangements for the deal were all done behind closed doors with no oversight or independent assessment. It's THAT aspect that most troubled me and alot of other people. I have no quarrel with the UAE --- sure, they have internal problems just like everyone else --- but rather with THIS government's shady handling of the whole matter.

And now it seems like the UAE is pissed at us. Why? Because they feel Mr. Bush can't deliver for them. What? Is that what this government's job is? Facilitating deals for foreign powers??

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Big bad wolf and others...............yes BBW you are close........there is a deal behind why Bush wanted the UAE company to have our ports........

It has to do with the straight of Hormez over in Iran.

That straight is only two miles wide.........on Iran's Southern underbelly......out of it from the Persian Gulf is transported anywhere from 25 to 40% of the worlds oils (depending on whose report you read on the percentages).

Now that straight is just a small two mile area that it has been reported by Iranian intellegence defectants that Iran is going to mine the area and sink a few ships and cut off all that oil transportation if they are attacked by the US or Israel.......

The US desperately needs a military base to prevent that from happening or else its curtains to the cost of a barrel of oil to the West........

So where is this leading?

Take one guess who owns those ports at the straight............

Yup, Dubai of the UAE......................

Our deal to let them take over ports here has to do with them allowing us to set up a base over there to keep the straights open.......

Now is it a bad trade off??

You bet it is..........but that is why Bush and company has been so adament about this going through with this........

The US really allows themselves to get their nuts in the ringer by playing off Middle Eastern countries against each other and then the chickens come home to roost............

March/April are going to be tense times folks............

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by futuretense
Now is it a bad trade off??

You bet it is...

Not sure I believe in your conspiracy theory here. but if I did... I don't see why it is a bad deal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join