It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why every American should watch Doctor Who...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Doctor Who premieres on the Sci-Fi Channel Friday March 17 at 9PM (eastern) and YOU should be watching. Here are the undeniable reasons why you're a Doctor Who fan whether you know it or not:

1. The concept is limitless. All of time and all of space can be explored. One week the story can be set on a space station in the year 5,000,000 and the next it can be on Earth in 1860. (That would be episodes 2 and 3 of the New Series respectively.) So if you like your Sci-Fi with scope (Babylon 5) or with infinitely variable settings (Quantum Leap) then Doctor Who delivers both.

2. It has a heart. Unlike most current Science Fiction shows, Doctor Who isn't about guns and explosions. It's about the journey and the discovery and it truly brings a message of understanding to the heavily militaristic science fiction landscape. So, if you're into a show that explores the characters and theor relationships as much as genre storytelling (Buffy, The X-Files) or a show that has a positive message, then Doctor Who may be just right for you.

3. It has humor. Doctor Who has a long standing tradition as being not only thought provoking, but funny as well. "Shaun of the Dead" guru Simon Pegg plays the lead villain in episode 7 of the New Series. Episode 11 has spoofs of some very recognizable TV game shows, albeit a little more sinister. From the first episode on, the level of humor in the show is apparent. So, if you like your genre programming with a healthy dose of laughs (Buffy, Hitchhiker's Guide) then Doctor Who is a sure bet.

4. The writing is fantastic. The bulk of the New Series is written by producer Russell T. Davies who created the popular show "Queer as Folk" as well as a string of successful shows for British television. Other eps are written by such British luminaries as Stephen Moffat, creator of "Coupling", and Mark Gattis co-creator of "The League of Gentlemen." Why would so many successful writers all gravitate to the same show? They love Doctor Who. They've all dreamed of writing for it, and now they've been given the opportunity and it's obvious that every episode of the New Series is a labor of love. So, if you watch television for intelligent writing (The West Wing, Veronica Mars) then look no further than Doctor Who.

5. The acting is fantastic. Anyone who's seen him in his long list of movies knows that Christopher Eccleston is an actors actor. From "Shallow Grave" to "Elizabeth" to "28 Days Later" he has shown his range and his unsurpassed abilities as an actor. Eccleston will win an Oscar one day, you can bet on it. He carries the role of The Doctor with a tragic gravitas never seen before in the Classic Series. He's still funny and mysterious, but he brings more credibility to the role than any that have come before... and the weird thing is Billie Piper is even better than he is, and the chemistry (also sexual tension) between the two make for one of the best TV partnerships ever. So, if it's the chemistry and talent of recurring actors that floats your TV boat (The X-Files, The Sheild) then Doctor Who is a must see.

6. It's a smash hit in the UK. 10 million people watched the first episode "Rose" on BBC last spring... comparitively that would be Super Bowl numbers in America. So, if you like to watch the absolute best the BBC has to offer (The Office, Mystery!) then this show is definitely a contender for that.

In the end, anyone who appreciates good television, whether that be for the writing/acting/directing, Doctor Who delivers. So set your TiVos for Friday March 17 at 9pm and join me for the "trip of a lifetime."

(Incidently, I'm in no way affiliated with the show or the BBC, and this post is not a "plant". I'm just a fan who is very excited that the rest of my country will soon get to see this outstanding program!)

[edit on 9-3-2006 by SKMDC1]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I agree especially about the point of not needing "shoot 'em up" action. I still feel that your imagination is by far the most powerful "special effects" tool out there and Dr Who uses it. I always thought that the producers of The Matrix didn't even really understand the success of their movie. While the effects were cool, it was the concepts which gripped our imaginations. They proved me right with tech heavy sequals with bad plots that were sleepers.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I have waited a long time for Dr Who to come to the USA. It does have countless stories that could be told. That being said, I wish it was not on Friday night. Just doesn't fit with the Stargate's or Battlestar G. block.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I really hope you guys enjoy the first season, I'm still waiting for the second season to begin soon hopefully.

With the way BSG is going lately, the good ole doctor is set to put SG1 and Atlantis in a run for it's money for best timeslot.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Wherever sci-fi channel puts Dr Who it will be a ratings winner. I still hope they put it on a different night. Then they could build around the show, adding shows that would go better with Dr. Who. And we could have another night of great programming.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
They could possibly do that after sept, when a new spinoff from this universe will be starting, starring Capn' Jack, in a series called Torchwood. You won't get to see the Torchwood project in action until the 14th episode of Who though which will probably be shown around Christmas time(it is called teh Christmas Invasion afterall
)

Now as you guys start on the first season, I'm waiting for the 2nd season(starring David Tennant(the 10th doctor)) to start on the 15th.

For those that are not familiar with this series, here is a good article that gives a good summary.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a list of all the actors who've playing "The Doctor."

1. First Doctor, played by William Hartnell (1963–1966)
2. Second Doctor, played by Patrick Troughton (1966–1969)
3. Third Doctor,played by Jon Pertwee (1970–1974)
4. Fourth Doctor, played by Tom Baker (1974–1981)
5. Fifth Doctor, played by Peter Davison (1981–1984)
6. Sixth Doctor, played by Colin Baker (1984–1986)
7. Seventh Doctor, played by Sylvester McCoy (1987–1989, 1996)
8. Eighth Doctor, played by Paul McGann (1996)
9. Ninth Doctor, played by Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant (2005–present)

[edit on 6-4-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I really enjoyed the "new" Dr Who on CBC. I looked forward to watching it every week and really wish the second season would hurry up and get here.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Cheers to the UK and the BBC for coming up with DR. Who. By and large on of my all time faveorite scifi shows right up there with Stargate and Farscape. Great show I sincerly urge all people to atleast give it a try...wonderful 45 min show(tivo no comercials).

And it is nice to have a scifi show that not all about blowing stuff up. Great show

El senor Pom pom rides agian

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

dont forget that peter cushing played dr who in the film 'dr who and the daleks', richard hurndall played the first doctor in 'the five doctors' and you may also want to add edmond warwick who played the robot dr who in the episode 'the executioners'

im looking forward to the new series which starts this month

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc

Originally posted by sardion2000

dont forget that peter cushing played dr who in the film 'dr who and the daleks', richard hurndall played the first doctor in 'the five doctors' and you may also want to add edmond warwick who played the robot dr who in the episode 'the executioners'

im looking forward to the new series which starts this month

Those are not part of the Canon.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Dr. Who is just another tool being used by the NWO to convince people to vote conservative. Propaganda is intrinsically entertaining.

Actually, I think the special effects are a bit too slick. I like cardboard robots.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu
Dr. Who is just another tool being used by the NWO to convince people to vote conservative. Propaganda is intrinsically entertaining.

Actually, I think the special effects are a bit too slick. I like cardboard robots.

Well there are 26 other seasons for you to admire the lovely cardboard models and snot monsters galore.
The creators of the first new season in this epic show, intentionally dumbed down the FX in a number of episodes, though in others they go all out.
(Episode 2:End of the World - My Favorite of the Eccelston Whoisodes).

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If we're listing Doctors from the TV series don't forget Michael Jayston who appeared as a future incarnation of the Doctor called the Valeyard during the Trial of a Timelord series.

Aren't those Cybermen bloody fabulous!!!

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I haven't seen Dr. Who for over 20 years (1985). I'd be interested in watching again. If it is opposite something I normally watch, I can always DVR it.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I missed the original (read Doctors 1-8) as I think I was still in the womb, or freshly out.
The new one however is just

There is so much happening at once, plus all the little details which happen just off camera (ie, the malicious caninoid ((can you work it out?)) )
As for heart, Episode 6: Dalek, had me choking up. The new series is grrrrreat too, and can be summed up in one word:

DELETE!!!

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Aren't those Cybermen bloody fabulous!!!

Yeah, they were! I thought the Voice was crappy though and when they started to yell DELETE! DELETE! I cringed. They seemed in that part more Dalek then Cybermen... and buddy who created them, how much you wanna bet it's really Davros somehow.

My primary complaint so far is that Rise of the Cybermen, seems far too similiar to Genesis of the Daleks. That's okay as the Dialog is spot on, as is the acting.

[edit on 16-5-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think that was kind of the point though. It was an alternate reality and so maybe the entire Kaled race didn't exist. Which means Davros was never born. Which means some other crazy in a wheelchair must create a race of cybernetic slaughterers in his place. I think they were supposed to fill that universes dalek void and cybermen void.

How much do you wanna bet next week human.2 overthrows Lumic and sets up its own Cyber COntroller.

top topics

join