It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which "Holy Book" is the real one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Someone brought up a question on another thread. I can't remember who it was, but I thank them for giving me an idea.

They asked "Which is the real God?" In context, the question was, that of all the Gods of all the religions that have ever existed, how does one clearly define which one would be the "true" God?

If you have any comments such as, "They're all wrong. You're a poo-poo head because you believe in a God," then don't waste your or our time by writing in.

Moving on. Most religions have a text that they claim is either written by or dictated by a God, or is a recounting of the actions of the early followers of this God. For instance, the Quran is a recitation of a message given to the prophet Muhammed by the angel Gabriel, which was given to Gabrile by Allah. So, the Quran claims itself as the direct Word of God.

The Bible is broken into several parts. In the Old Testament, there are recountings of a particular group of people, as well as visions which prophets put into their own words, as well as other direct quotes of the Word of God that prophets have not put in their own words. In the New Testament, there are paraphrasings of Jesus Christ's words, and third-party accounts of his actions as well as the Apostles'. There are letters to different churches that give instructions according to the words of the Apostles. Then there is a final Revelation which Paul writes in his own words.

Anyway there are MANY other religious books other than the Quran and Bible. They have their similarities in philosophy, as well as stark differences. However, the biggest unifying similarity between them is that each one claims to be The Authoritive Word of God, and that other books are false claims to authority.

Muslims are 100% convinced that the Quran is the Word of God, and that the Bible was changed by Christian leaders to hide the true worship of God, and that Muhammad restored it through the Quran.

Christians are 100% convinced that the Bibile is the Word of God, and anything outside of it is not inspired.

What is your take on differentiating which is the truth?

Here's my opinion: Different cultures and religions and writers were pretty much isolated from each other geographically, with little reason to cause the ideologies to mix. Sure, there are similarities between texts from completely separated nations, but overall the differences outweight the similarities.

I say that if you can find two geographically separated groups that NEVER came in contact with each other, and yet both wrote the EXACT same religious creed, then THAT would be the True Religious Text, and therefore True Religion, and therefore True God.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
As far as monotheism is concerned, atenism or juadism would be the more original monotheistic religion. As far as finding any culture seperated and yet having the same religous scripture's ... We would've found that by now. There are none. Monotheism is more then likely and offshoot of atenism. The ancient egyptian's and early monotheistic folk lived pretty much side by side, both having some influence's over the other. Think of religion as primitive (philosophical) science. Everything's gotta have a start somewhere.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ which was transcribed from the Akashic Records by Levi is most likely the best starting grounds if you want to understand the problems with religeon (christian) these days.. the bible was taken out of context and chopped up horribly, the Aquarian Gospel is amazingly detailed and includes the stories of Jesus travelling to the Masterminds in India. Many parables explained with much more clarity and fullness. It is the story of Jesus the Christ in full, it is an excellent book to read when on the journey to understanding and self-realization

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
can't expect to get the whole truth in one book, i figger. so......

many of the wholiest wholy books
those books cannot lie, cannot decieve and have nearly ZERO dogma. that makes them more true
and don't forget the book of the dead and the urantia book and the bahagavita(oops, mispely!), the oral traditions of 'primitive' native tribes, the tao(my personal fave), and the culbert bible of the templars, etc.

i'm sure there are many, MANY more. it's not a bipolar debate.

just my 144, 000 sense.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
one problem is that many use the same book yet use differant interpitations. Even if they are contray to the book they use. Even if you could find a book that was written by a non-mortal holy God, you would still have problems because of mortal man interpiting it wrong.

There is only one religion in the whole world that says man cannot achive salvation by themselves, all others require man to perform acts or "works" to achive that reighteousness. To me that one religion is the right one, and interpits it's Holy book correctly.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama
What is your take on differentiating which is the truth?

My take on the truth is that the Old Testament/Torah is based on a monotheistic re-telling of earlier Egyptian creation myths, with various Babylonian myths grafted on or assimilated into them.

The New Testament is yet another re-telling of that age-old Solar allegory of the birth/death/rebirth Sun deity, and it's journey through the yearly zodiac and night sky.

The Koran is a revisionist book, created after Christianity, who's writers attempted to get back to a more 'hard-line' monotheism.

All three of the major Abrahamic religions (Islam/Christianity/Judaism) are all therefore based on exactly the same Egyptian and Mesopotamian creation myths and Solar allegories, with a gloss of monotheism painted over them.

The 3 religious books associated with these 3 flavours of the same belief system are all allegorical tools of mass social control that attempt to keep the literal believers in these books in an infantile state of spiritual and personal development.... Which benefits those in power, the initiates who know the true meanings of the allegories, in several ways - mainly it serves to keep them in a position of power and authority as the conduit between God and the masses, and also financially benefiting the initiates.

The omnipotent invisible God as patriarch, the church/religious leaders as matriarch - Their children (the religions followers) are kept in a child-like state of awe at the distant father figure, who's harsh judgement is the final decision. The church/religious orthodoxy performs the role of mother in nurturing, comforting and indoctrining the child into the father's judgement system.

The Heaven/Hell scenario is the classic carrot on a stick used by all these religions - Follow the father, eternal heaven. Disobey him, eternal damnation - All you have to do is follow and do not question the rules to receive a reward one cannot prove one will ever receive, but one cannot prove the punishment either, so it's safe to hedge ones bets.

That's the 'truth' as I see it.....

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Many people live their lives by the almighty TV Guide, kinda sad, basking in the spiritual light of the telemundo screen.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I would be very hard pressed to debate the opposite the point in your post. I have come to pretty much the same conclusion.
So many of us live such vicarious existances that Despirate Housewives or the religion of sports is our main locations of worship.

The telemundo screen precisely ..this is the altar on which so many of us sacrafice our thinking process. And many are so fervently devout in this. The telemundo screen is our drug of choice. I agree..Well spoken olde man.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Olde Man?
Hehehe, Mate, I'm only 21! Although since I'm starting to believe in Reincarnation, I would agree to that whereby I think I may have quite an old soul.

But on a serious note, yes it is very sad that people are indeed sacrificing their gift of independant thought in order to suckle at the teat of televisions loving glow.

There is a reason they call it Television Programming you know......

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnero6911
The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ which was transcribed from the Akashic Records by Levi is most likely the best starting grounds if you want to understand the problems with religeon (christian) these days.. the bible was taken out of context and chopped up horribly, the Aquarian Gospel is amazingly detailed and includes the stories of Jesus travelling to the Masterminds in India. Many parables explained with much more clarity and fullness. It is the story of Jesus the Christ in full, it is an excellent book to read when on the journey to understanding and self-realization

I was not aware that this composition still circulated, so am interested to see this post. May I ask how you came across it, and why you believe it to be anything but a modern composition?

Here is a review of it by E. J. Goodspeed, as part of his review of a range of 'Strange New Gospels' invented over the last century or so.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It has been my opinion for some time now ...that with all the new translations and variations coming out in the Bible that new ideas and thinkings are being spawned.

When I look closely they mostly seem to follow a pattern and this pattern is not new. It too is ancient.

THis is the same pattern the Hebrews were tryingn to do back in the days of Paul and the Apostles. To infiltrate privily, secretly and introduce new doctrine, to switch the doctrine around to something it is not while keeping the same names and appearing to be the Word of God.
This also is the exact same pattern which the Hebrews got caught up in over and over in the Olde Testament. Switch and substituting doctrine and practices..also called the traditions of men...for the Word of God. This is what allowed them to go after "Strange Gods" as it is written. This is also why the Hebrews in the Olde Testament and also into the New Testament times were punnished over and over..Going after strange gods.

What all these bibles are attempting to do is substitute man made traditions in the new bibles for the Word of God and get the Christians to go after strange gods...just as was done in the days of the Hebrews.

This Da Vinci Code is a revamped effort to do this too...by casting doubt on the confidence of Believers in thier Bibles. This Book by Dale Brown ..this material was covered some ten years earlier by three authors named Lincoln ,Leigh and Blagent in thier book "Holy Blood Holy Grail." This book used the same basic outline as done by Dale Brown in his book.

Another variation on this theme is the attempts to put Jesus or the Apostles as traveling to India or some remote locations to learn religion under the occult masters...in Paganism and Pagan doctrines. Amazing what they will try to water down the Word. This is standard new age ..Eastern Philosophy which includes Masonic Doctrine..which is new age. Alway by reason and logic of men. This too is the "traditions of men" for which we are warned over and over from the Olde Testament to the New Testament.
In these variations..the Word and its "traditions" comes from secret esoteric masters and was passed to Jesus and eventually the Apostles...they possessed the secret knowlege or Gnosis by which they were able to achieve a god like state...but it is the knowlege that counts..this secret knowlege. IF you can obtain this knowlege you too can become a secret master. When you peel back the veneer of this substitution of Gods Word....it is a works system...because it is the knowlege that counts not what God decides or decrees, not Faith that counts but this secret knowlege. This is how you know it is a works system. Hence by this "works system" it is not a finished work..men by thier traditions and knowlege must finish it. This is a Hijacking/substitution of Doctrine. A counterfit doctrine. This is what the Hebrews were doing in Olde Testament times ..hijacking/counterfitting Gods Word with their traditions which they learned from the Pagan nations surrounding Israel.
This is exactly what is being attempted today...in substituting doctrine with new bible versioins ...by the Dale Browns and others writing all these new books.

This new text recently being touted by the Gnostics.."The Gospel of Judas"
It too follows the same fingerprint..of which I am speaking.
Some secret esoteric knowlege...being kept from the bulk of Believers by which one can achieve godhood or gnosis.. Gnosis meaning knowlege or wisdom...not afforded the ordinary person..which will seperate the believer in this knowlege from others...
THe Word is not in secret..unless you are a Pagan. In Paganism one advances by degrees in the wisdom of this world...secrets are kept even from other Pagans..unless one achieves the correct degrees..even then certain things are secret...esoteric..occult. This secrecy is contrary to the Word.
One of the problems with Christians ...to many ..is that they will tell you anything you want to know..its difficult to get them to shut up at times. This is not true in Paganism..and all its variations.

They are trying to infiltrate and alter Gods Word with Pagan customs and traditions..just like they were doing in the Olde Testament times and continuing unto todays New Testament times ..nothing new going on here. YOu learn this by Pattern recognition....fingerprinting.

This Hijacking, Substituting, Counterfitting is the reason for most of the new bible versions going on. Look back about a hundred to a hundred fifty years ago unto today and look at the multitude of new versions brought out in that time period. Then go back prior to this and see how few versions came out. It becomes obvious.

Learn about the counterfits..and this tradition of substitution..it will lead you to which version is correct and why.
To do this you must be well grounded in the Faith...or you will be easily seduced into the counterfits. If not well grounded you will fall prey to the counterfitter. It was intended this way.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama
Most religions have a text that they claim is either written by or dictated by a God, or is a recounting of the actions of the early followers of this God. For instance, the Quran is a recitation of a message given to the prophet Muhammed by the angel Gabriel, which was given to Gabrile by Allah. So, the Quran claims itself as the direct Word of God. . . .

Anyway there are MANY other religious books other than the Quran and Bible. They have their similarities in philosophy, as well as stark differences. However, the biggest unifying similarity between them is that each one claims to be The Authoritive Word of God, and that other books are false claims to authority.

That is not true. Most religions have no such sacred books, although most have written materials that they use and, in completely different senses, revere. But the concept of a written "word of God" is unique to the religious lineage running from Judaism to Christianity to Islam to the Baha'i faith. The Muslims in the old days recognized this. Jews and Christians, along with Muslims, were considered "people of the Book," and treated differently (and better) than followers of other religions. That is, Jews and Christians were taxed for the privilege of following their faith but otherwise allowed to do so, while those who were not "people of the Book" were put to death if they did not convert.

Some few religions outside this lineage have, alas, begun to adopt some of this attitude. One finds the Hare Krishna fanatics within Hinduism treating the Bhagavad Gita much the way fundamentalist Christians treat the Bible. But most Hindus do not do that. Buddhists revere the written teachings of the Buddha, written actually by his followers (like Jesus, the Buddha himself never wrote anything extant), but one of the cardinal points of the Buddha's teaching is that nothing in words can ever be the Truth, which is beyond the workings of the mind and found only when desire is quieted. And of course, the first words of the Tao Te Ching remind us that if it can be told, it is not the Tao.

And I believe that the Buddha and Lao Tze were right here. God cannot be told, but must be experienced in the heart, when the soul stands naked burning in the Sacred Fire. At best, written materials can help point us in the right direction. At worst -- and regarding them as "God's word" is a way to ensure that they will operate at their worst -- they confuse us into thinking that the truth is actually contained in them, rather than in experiences toward which they guide us.

In short, in the sense that Christians mean, I believe "the word of God" to be something that not only does not exist, but cannot. Only when God writes in his own language, which is no human language nor anything the human mind can completely understand, can that become possible.

new topics

top topics

join