It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa about to anounce Life in our solarsytem on the news!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemetae
Who didn't see THIS coming from a million miles away? Lol

New on Drudge:

UPDATE: NASA Will Not Announce Life Find; News Station Misinterpreted Agency's Release...

Lol drudge report is the most reliable source. But why is there 2 threads about this can we merge it into 1 thread or possibly have a sub-forum about this topic?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Saturn will rewrite what we call a suitable environment for life. This is exactley what the universe is capable of. In otherwords planets may not harbor life however the satelite and moon systems around them may. We think of planets as the life hosts when that is all we know. We may even find at some point that ecosystems exist in the rings around planets.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Even if it's only microbial life which may eventually be found there, that would immediately expand the 'equations' of possible alien life elsewhere. That life manifested in two different places with no relation to each other (most likely) other than being in the same solar system, would have pretty big implications. They still probably wouldn't say anything though, because they'de be afraid Christians would blow their brains out... I guess that's the price we pay living on a planet full of majority-accepted religious cults *sigh*

... oh uh, no offense intended

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
LucyStoner76:

Methane is no guarantee of life, but as an organic compound it is a good indicator of past, present, or Future life…

Astronomer68:

“…even if it does harbor some sort of life that life would be extremely primitive because of the Excruciatingly slow metabolic rate it would have to have way out there where it gets very little heat & light from the Sun.”

Actually, there are a buncha very active life forms living on the bottom of our oceans near thermal vents that have never seen the light of day.

seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov...

IntelRetard:

“…We may even find at some point that ecosystems exist in the rings around planets.”

Or even in nebulae… (or in this case a gas torus) It’s just fiction but check out The Integral Trees by Larry Niven:

en.wikipedia.org...

Hemetae:

“…That life manifested in two different places with no relation to each other (most likely) other than being in the same solar system, would have pretty big implications.”

Why no relation to each other? (Just curious) Some folks speculate that life got on Earth via an impact… ie. comet, asteroid, meteorite…. IF there is other life in our solar system, it could be from the same stock as us…

duty calls

(water, too cool! he he hee)

twj

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I agree,

Hydroponics works on Earth and on shuttle experiments so why not in the theory of " Integral Tress". In the distant future I can see NASA anouncing:

" We have discovered the first Bio mass around a super giant gas planetary core. Orbiting satelite bio mass systems are no longer just a theory......"

[edit on 9-3-2006 by IntelRetard]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
O.K....can someone please tell me exactly what's going on? The title of the thread obviosly states that NASA is going to announce life in the Solar System, but i have seen no source verifieing this!

Every link has been broken or old and all i've found is that NASA has found what looks like water on one of Saturns moons....don't get me wrong, that's a great discovery in itself but... is it life? i think not.

What's the deal? am i missing something? or did the author of this thread possibly just get a little excited, maybe a bit of wishful thinking?

If this is just wishful thinking you might want to be a little more careful not to be misleading or deceptive..especially when reffering to what would be the scientific discovery of the century.

OTOH i hope i have missed something and they have discovered life of some sort..even if it is a micro-organism. It would make my year!

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Come ON! This is a simple sales technique - upsell, downsell. In disclosure agendas, as in the court room, it is called "pleading to a lesser crime". See, the initial "leaked" information is designed to elicit a strong response from the reader, THEN they give you the 'lesser' news that now seems softer in comparasin. Its a basic Cognitive Psychological ploy designed to reduce the emotional impact of the people. Also, the population has been 'desensitized' to the comming news of life in the solar system that will be released at a later date. Few people here will find that news shocking but the general population may react very differently - not just the religious either. Remember, War of the Worlds? Nobody wants mass 'highdivers' plunging on New York streets.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDB101
cfnews13.com...

Where did you get "life in the solar system" from? The news sites were saying "major announcement" and later about Cassini's having spotted what looks like water.

Oh. Wait. The "alien life" came from Drudge.

Can we say "not always very reliable", folks?

[edit on 9-3-2006 by Indellkoffer]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Sorry folks but I think we should cut the original poster some slack. It seems from reading the whole thread that there was an initial post about the exact subject matter that once an "official" at NASA or some other agency saw it, they forced a censorship of it, hence the original link was not available. I have a hard time beliving that NASA's web servers cannot handle a massive traffic load. They broadcast live feeds all the time that must consume a huge amount of bandwidth. I do belive that the precursors of most of earth's basis found on a planet that far away are definitely a good sign, otherwise the universe IS a tremendous waste of space.

Exciting post no matter how you look at it, in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Most conspiracy types believed that the plan by NASA and the brotherhood was to slowly release evidence to gradually condition the population. Mind you at the rate they are going it will take 1000 years to get to the idea of Grays and Lizards etc.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sheesh People..... OK 1st of all, DrudgeReport doesn't actually report news.. it scours OTHER news sources and displays them for people to see. And it's VERY quick about it, which is why I like it, even though it's very politically slanted (always trying to bash liberals)... actually I've recently seen that Google news is even faster so maybe that'll be my new main internet news source.. anyway, that news headline had nothing to do with Drudge, it had to do with a supposedly trustworthy TV station in Florida that originally reported the story. ONce the error was noted, Drudge immediatley added an update. End of Story there...

“…That life manifested in two different places with no relation to each other (most likely) other than being in the same solar system, would have pretty big implications.”

Why no relation to each other? (Just curious) Some folks speculate that life got on Earth via an impact… ie. comet, asteroid, meteorite…. IF there is other life in our solar system, it could be from the same stock as us…

Because dude, they're simply TOO DAMN far from each other.. if we were talking about Mars or Venus, maybe/possibly but not Enceladus.. if you can find one astronomer who believes otherwise, please let me know, but I promise you he'd be on the distant fringe.. the chances of Earth life getting to, and existing in the Saturn system are, umm, a bit remote... but hey, I'm open to debate, lol.

kojac: The title of the thread was in error, because of a 'mis-communication'
but just so you know, NASA would NEVER EVER report life has been found outside of Earth.. it would never happen, it might as well be in their Charter (it probably is, in fact)

Indellkoffer:
Again, as much as I dislike Drudge Report's political slant, they just report OTHER people's news.. the Florida TV station f***d up (or NASA retracted their original statement, either one is just as likely), so lets not trash the messenger.

denythestatusquo:
Actually the plan is the opposite: anytime anyone might possibly have reason to believe some life MIGHT exist outside of Earth, NASA's duty is to SQUASH that rumor faster than you can say, 'Whow, live on another planet?" Just keep that in mind

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Mars maybe, even the moon i could say possible but Saturn...

A website made error in their title and you people freak and hope so hard you say forced it's employees to say something yeesh!

it is all speculation until proof exists and we have none end of story.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well Folks i dont know why you all make a Hype about this, of course there is life out there..if there is water in liquid you have at least a 80% probability to have life (i am not saying intellegent life, microscopic life at least some bacteria, small critter or virus, who knows) , maybe you are thinking nasa will announce that they have found intellegence life out there, wel folks that anoucement is not going to be made anytime soon. by the way you have already the famouse rock from mars that have fosolize life (supously) what more porrf you want that there is life out there?..you all folks need some spaceship to land..or need some intellegent life form founs on mars?..give me a breack...you already know there is life but you are still plaing dumb like it wasnt......

I would look for a anoucement about intellegent life...i know life is out there only by seeing all the evidence that has gather Nasa (not intellegent, but at least life anyway)...

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
If there is life on one of Saturn's moons, it could be related to life on Earth. I wish to clarify what I mean by related for those who don't understand what I mean. The building blocks of life (amino acids) were reported to have been discovered existing in space www.newscientist.com...

If the building blocks of life are already in space, these acids and molecules can settle into all parts of the solar system and eventually form life under the right conditions according to accepted theories. This would make the life related in my opinion because the molecules that started the formation process all came from the same source. I am not saying that advanced life somehow jumped from Mars to Earth to Saturn or some other combination.

I sometimes wonder how the silicon based life found in our ocean thermal vents got started since I haven't heard any theories about that. However I would assume someone would argue that it's the same process except silicon replaced carbon in the formation of life.

As far as the water discovery goes, it shows that there is a major heat source much stronger than the sun and that heat source could have provided the energy for life to develop and exist. I don't believe the sun would be a significant factor if life developed as far away as Saturn is.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The 'possible life' side of the discussion aside, I still think that finding water in our solarsystem on a celestial body other than earth is pretty sweet. Agreed?
Would this be one of the first times it has been acknowledged publically, water?
Moon perhaps - not sure of 100% confirmation?

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I'm well aware of anerobic life and life near thermal vents, but any thermal vents on Enceladeus would be different from those in our ocean. The water they see being spouted is quite likely the end result of thermal discharge there and it is still relatively cool (to us) even though it would seem exceedingly hot to the environment of that moon. Therefore, the metabolic rate of any life (if it exists) would be much less than Earthly life. Further, the likelihood of any kind of plant life there (if it existed) would most likely not include photosythesis because any energy that could be harvested from sunlight would be meager. There are also additional reasons for a slow metabolic rate of any life that might exist there. All these factors together were considered before I made my comments.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Astronomer68:

hey, I’m not trying to Prove anything, just, you know, chatting….

saying things like… what’s the line?… here it is “…but any thermal vents on Enceladeus would be different from those in our ocean.” Well ya, of Course they would be different, they wouldn’t be in our ocean for starters. It’s just speculation…

I’m not sure I buy into the ‘the metabolic rate would Have to be lower because it’s so cold’ idea though… could be, might be, probably is, Have to be? Not so sure. This is just from personal experience and not from any hard core research though…

I worked here for a lotta years:

www.torbtown.com...

That’s frost hangin’ offa the pipes… We kept the fridge at –20 C… that’s as Hot as it ever got in there. Button the fridge up for a week or so and it would drop down to –60 C… Not as cold as a distant moon, sure, but chilly.

Many many years ago either a pregnant or a viable breeding pair of everyday normal dock rats found their way into the fridge… not sure how, we think they hitched a ride on a pallet *shrugs*

The things lived, and bread, and became a colony. These things Lived in the fridge. They did not just occasionally zip in and zip back out again, they Lived in there. And they Evolved. They were no longer the sleek normal dock rats we had runnin’ around outside the fridge, they were these long haired Tribble wooly mammoth things with incredibly thick pads on their feet. (I know they had thick pads ‘cause it was part of my job to set and clear the traps)

These freezer rats were every bit as spry and nimble and quick as their dock rat cousins (who were living in a +20 C environment)

Does that Prove anything? Naw, of course not. That just helps illustrate why I don’t think a cold environment necessarily equates to a lower metabolic rate, tha’s all.

Again, no biggy, just speculation…

Hemetae:

“Because dude, they're simply TOO DAMN far from each other.. if we were talking about Mars or Venus, maybe/possibly but not Enceladus.. if you can find one astronomer who believes otherwise, please let me know, but I promise you he'd be on the distant fringe.. the chances of Earth life getting to, and existing in the Saturn system are, umm, a bit remote... but hey, I'm open to debate, lol.”

It’s just a theory comrade, but some pretty heavy hitters buy into it…, um, here’s the panspermia web site:

www.panspermia.org...

this is what wiki says about it:

en.wikipedia.org...

The gig is, it isn’t Earth life getting to the outer systems… it’s life from the outer systems (or even outside our solar system) coming to Earth… say, a few microbes inside a comet…

Again, it’s just a theory but it’s earned a decent amount of respect over the years. Kinda like evolution… violently opposed when it first came out, slowly accepted by the mainstream as time went by *shrugs*

Like I said, I’m just chattn’… sorry if I came across all Know It All before *laughs* Believe, me, I’m just a bozoboy, Not a knowitall.

duty calls
twj

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me...but I found THIS to be the best tidbit in the article...

"Other moons in the solar system have liquid-water oceans covered by kilometers of icy crust,"

That sounds more like a stated fact to me...and the ramifications of that are pretty amazing. We already know that here on Earth, the oceans are teaming with life far out of reach of sunlight... If there are literally OCEANS of liquid water out there....then the chances of life just went (pardon the pun) to the moon!

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They have to start us out slow from organisms (microscopic) to wormsize to rodent size and eventually alien grey and reptilian hominid.

they dont want to freak us out

as my cell phone braodcasts hums through my speakers as i write this

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
That sounds more like a stated fact to me...and the ramifications of that are pretty amazing.

As it should... and yes, they are.

We've hypothesized for awhile now that Jupiter's moons Europa, Callisto and Ganymeade all have liquid water under their surface. The same goes for Enceladus, but the real breakthrough is its existance on the surface. Saturn's moon Titan may have water deep below its surface as well. Also, some scientists believe that there may be water below the atmospheres of Uranus and Neptune.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join