It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge is a challenge put out by the James Randi Educational Foundation that will give One Million dollars to anyone who can produce scientific evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has ever passed the preliminary tests.

If no one has ever passed the preliminary tests, does that mean that the paranormal just can not be scientifically proven?

A million bucks is a lot of money and I hope that someone can finally claim the prize. There are a lot of things we can’t explain out there and I think the future development of humankind depends on challenges like these.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Randi is a joke.

Threads like these have been made in the past over and over again. There are equal amount of information that puts Randi with the trash then there are to say he's respected individual.

There are people who did pass and didn't get the money and there are also people who Randi avoided so he wouldn't have to fork over the money and admit that some things are possible. Such as with the US military guy which could use Remote Viewing, which is classified as paranormal as well.

Use the search function to find enough threads about it.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by Enyalius]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enyalius
Threads like these have been made in the past over and over again.
Use the search function to find enough threads about it.

I did use the search function and haven't found any threads dedicated to this challenge. If you know of such threads it would probably be better to just U2U a mod or use the suggestion button instead of derailing.
If this thread fits the repeat criteria found on All about repeat topics and what to do about them. then a mod will close it up. Otherwise newer members would probably like to learn about and discuss this topic.

Any links as to why the challenge is a joke would be great.

But back to the actual subject.

Sylvia Browne accepted the million-dollar challenge, on Larry King Live a few years ago and Prophet Yahweh has applied for the million dollar challenge. Are there any other well know people who are taking the challenge?

[edit on 9/3/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Is James Randi conspiring against psyhics?
James Randi vs The 9-11 scam
James Randi is an idiot
If super powers are real, then why hasn't it been proved on this website?

The Amazing Randy - Your Opinion?

And there are many more that can be found with the search future. New members should learn to use that more often instead of opening topics with subjects that have been covered countless times. Put some effort into finding the info. If there is no topic then be free to make a new one.

It's the same ol' thing covered time and time again. Every time some new kid on the block thinks they re-inventing the wheel with some allieged new insight...

www.trvnews.com...
www.skepticalinvestigations.org...

might be interesting to read

[edit on 9-3-2006 by Enyalius]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well hopefully tinWiki will help out with this "problem." Which to be honest, was the motivation behind starting this thread.

Thanks for the links

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
My question is why would anyone with psychic ability even go to Randi, because to date there is no way to test this ability. Like there is no way to prove God exist. So it would be a trap to be tested by him. Or do you know of away to test a psychic's ability?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Let's face it,

These abiliities cannot be proven without a doubt on a scientific level. If they could, someone would be 1 million dollars richer by now.

- Nazgarn

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
There have been people, such as a soldier that was trained in Remote Viewing, and Randi still claimed it was fake. Randi is NOT a scientist, Randi is NOT acknowledged by the scientific community. Not because of his ideals, but his testing methods and provocation and scam artist attitude. Why would anyone in their right mind go to an individual as fake as Randi? You'd be better of going to a proper parapsychologist. Read the articles there are enough to debunk Randi.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nazgarn
Let's face it,

These abiliities cannot be proven without a doubt on a scientific level. If they could, someone would be 1 million dollars richer by now.

- Nazgarn

You would think so, but since we create our own realities, they cancel each other out. So he cant disprove anything, nor can anyone prove anything. Its all states of mind.

So, Randi with his unbelief cancels out the belief of the other...so neither has conclusive results...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
To comment on the Challenge, I would say that it's either people don't want to mess with such paranormal stuffs eventhough it does happen to them or it's just that they're afraid they will be the butt of jokes if it turns out to be nothing of supernatural.

Either way, it would be cool if there's such challenge and they made it international. Hey, could even be a new reality show!

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
it's not because there are no scientific methods to prove soem paranormal claims that there aren't real facts to be shown.

I think Randi is a good critical thinker, and we need them, because there are a lot of scams out there. The thing is that even proven facts seem scams to him, but on the contrary he lists a lot of proven scams.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

There are people who did pass

Like who???

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I think i heard on Coast to Coast that the challenger and the money are nowhere to be found.

Hmmmmm....

And nobody can pass the preliminary tests?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

There are people who did pass

Like who???

already provided a link.

An individual that worked for the US government and was trained as a Remote Viewer wasn't even accepted as a test subject by randi. That gives a lot to think about. Remote Viewing isn't considered "paranormal" or he's affraid to actually have to give up those 1 million and have to admit that there is more then what his feeble mind can comprehend.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

and was trained as a Remote Viewer wasn't even accepted as a test subject by randi.

What was the guy willing to do? Remote View by Randi's request? How accurate was he claiming to be? Its possible that he said he can only be so specific, and Randi rejected the claim because it wasn't specific enough.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

and was trained as a Remote Viewer wasn't even accepted as a test subject by randi.

What was the guy willing to do? Remote View by Randi's request? How accurate was he claiming to be? Its possible that he said he can only be so specific, and Randi rejected the claim because it wasn't specific enough.

Nygdan

Here (from Randi's site) is what a remote-viewer needs to be able to do:

www.randi.org... [control-->F "I refer you to"]

First, I note that these "remote viewers" tend to want to project their astral bodies out to Jupiter or Lebanon, and return to us with muddy descriptions that are hard to verify. I suggest they may want to visit easier targets, such as here in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where the ambiance is arguably much better, and the facts can more easily be checked for accuracy.

Forgive me for being pragmatic and realistic, but it's my nature. In my office, I have a small locker (see photo) in which a single, recognizable, common, object is locked. Every so often, about once every two weeks, I exchange that object for another one. All targets are chosen by random means. The object concealed inside the locker on any specified date, is the "current" target. Should a "remote viewer" wish to try to guess — or divine — what the target is, all that's necessary is to contact us, fill out the application, agree on a date or date-span for the test, and await the arrival of a list of twenty-five possible targets, then zoom in on that locker and tell us which of the twenty-five is the object. As for security measures, we will send the list along with a coded word which identifies the correct target. That word can be definitively decoded afterward, and the accuracy of the guess (divination?) ascertained.

Of course, other security measures may be suggested and applied, as well, by any person(s) involved. Get in touch and inquire.

If remote-viewing is a real ability I'd think this would be gravy... IOW seems a reasonable enough test to me. Also from his site is this about the remote-viewer (soldier) being talked about, I think. Not sure how old this is or if there's any updates though.

www.randi.org...

Flash! Dr./Major David Morehouse, PhD, describes himself as “the worlds leading Remote Viewing teacher,” and he says he has trained “tens of thousands in this fascinating and life changing protocol.” Formerly a highly-decorated special operations officer in the US Army, he is the subject of a soon to be released movie, and author of the international best-seller “Psychic Warrior” which is available in 14 languages!

We are pleased to announce that we are presently in touch with Dr. Morehouse – through an intermediary – and he just may agree to try for the JREF million-dollar prize by performing Remote Viewing on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), certainly a prestigious venue, and one that will lend considerable authority to the tests. Mind you, I haven’t yet heard personally and directly from Dr. Morehouse, but I feel that a man who has successfully trained so many students in his art, will certainly be able to pass the simple tests required by the JREF, and take away the big prize. Until now, we’ve had only amateurs and students trying for the prize, but this is a full-time pro.

[...]

I’ll only mention briefly the fact that other Remote Viewers who have applied for the prize, all backed out, some after several years of dickering over details of the protocol. I feel confident that this teacher/expert will not disappoint us in that fashion. We’ll keep you informed of this matter as it develops, of course.

Another Randi link suggests he (morehouse) backed out - Where's Morehouse? [control-->F "moorehouse"]

*shrug*

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
If no one has ever passed the preliminary tests, does that mean that the paranormal just can not be scientifically proven?

From what I understand, the rules and conditions for winning the prize are essentially impossible to follow, and there are all kinds of ways for them to weasel out of paying.

Anybody got a copy of the rules handy?

Otherwise, the effects are apparently measurable, but they're so statistically small that no single person or company can claim to have "discovered" it. But some people aren't interested in looking at the science, only making a name for themselves.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

New members should learn to use that more often instead of opening topics with subjects that have been covered countless times.

Almost every subject has been covered countless times. If we did as you suggest, we'd have nothing to yell at each other about.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
To make a good overall test, dont you need a broad understanding on the Subject matter? as well as the ablity to recreate the subject matter at hand?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Here are the rules. He's not asking for proof of the "power." He's asking for individuals to display some kind of special paranormal ability. He's looking for a nugget of Plutonium, when it may actually take mining thousands of tons of ore to get enough to show anybody. And requiring that something be "self evident," is a real weasel word. "Self-evident" to whom? And what's a "satisfactory observing condition?" You can sure tell one thing. He ain't no lawyer.

Application for Status of Claimant

This statement outlines the rules covering the offer made by this Foundation (JREF) concerning psychic, supernatural or paranormal claims. Since claims vary greatly in character and scope, specific rules must be formulated for each applicant. All applicants must agree to the rules set forth herein before any formal agreement can be entered into. Completing this form is mandatory; there are no exceptions to this rule.

Applicant will declare agreement by signing this form where indicated on the reverse before a notary public, and returning the form to the James Randi Educational Foundation. Applicants must state clearly what they claim as their special ability, and test procedures must be agreed upon by both parties before any testing will take place. All tests must be designed in such a way that the results are self-evident, and no judging process is required. We do not design the protocol independently of the applicant, who must provide clear guidelines so that the test may be properly set. All applicants must clearly identify themselves properly before any discussion takes place.

Due to the large amount of correspondence exchanged in this process, applicants must send a stamped, self-addressed envelope (SSAE), or in the case of foreign letters only a self-addressed envelope, to accompany each piece of correspondence requiring an answer. This offer is administered by the JREF, and no one may negotiate or make any changes, except as set forth in writing by James Randi (JR). All correspondence must be written, and will be answered, in English only.

Upon properly completing this document and agreeing upon the test protocol, you will receive your application back, signed on the reverse by JR. The applicant then becomes eligible for the preliminary test, which, if successful, will result in the formal test.

THE TWELVE OFFICIAL RULES GOVERNING THE JREF CHALLENGE:

I, James Randi, through the JREF, will pay US$1,000,000 to any person who can demonstrate any psychic, supernatural or paranormal ability under satisfactory observing conditions. Such demonstration must take place under these rules and limitations.

1. This is the primary and most important of these rules: Applicant must state clearly in advance, and applicant and JREF will agree upon, what powers or abilities will be demonstrated, the limits of the proposed demonstration (so far as time, location and other variables are concerned) and what will constitute both a positive and a negative result. This is the primary and most important of these rules.
2. Only an actual performance of the stated nature and scope, within the agreed-upon limits, will be accepted. Anecdotal accounts of previous events are not accepted or considered. We consult competent statisticians when an evaluation of the results, or experiment design, is required. We have no interest in theories or explanations of how the claimed powers might work; if you provide us with such material, it will be ignored and discarded.
3. Applicant agrees that all data (photographic, recorded, written, etc.) gathered as a result of the testing may be used freely by the JREF.
4. No part of the testing procedure may be changed in any way without the agreement of all parties concerned. JR may be present at some preliminary or formal tests, but will not interact with the materials used.
5. In all cases, applicant will be required to perform the preliminary test either before an appointed representative, if distance and time dictate that need, or in a location where a member of the JREF staff can attend. This preliminary test is to determine if the applicant is likely to perform as promised during a formal test. To date, no applicant has passed the preliminary test, and this has eliminated the need for formal testing in those cases. There is no limit on the number of times an applicant may re-apply, but re-application can take place only after 12 months have elapsed since the preliminary test.
6. All of the applicant's expenses such as transportation, accommodation, materials, assistants, and/or all other costs for any persons or procedures incurred in pursuit of the reward, are the sole responsibility of the applicant. Neither the JREF nor JR will bear any of the costs.
7. When entering into this challenge, the applicant surrenders any and all rights to legal action against Mr. Randi, against any persons peripherally involved, and against the James Randi Educational Foundation, as far as this may be done by established statutes. This applies to injury, accident, or any other damage of a physical or emotional nature, and/or financial or professional loss, or damage of any kind. However, this rule in no way affects the awarding of the prize.
8. At the formal test, in advance, an independent person will be placed in charge of a personal check from James Randi for US$10,000. In the event that the claimant is successful under the agreed terms and conditions, that check shall be immediately surrendered to the claimant, and within ten days the James Randi Educational Foundation will pay to the claimant the remainder of the reward, for a total of US$1,000,000. One million dollars in negotiable bonds is held by an investment firm in New York, in the "James Randi Educational Foundation Prize Account" as surety for the prize funds. Validation of this account and its current status may be obtained by contacting the Foundation by telephone, fax, or e-mail.
9. Copies of this form are available free of charge to any person who sends the required SSAE, marked on the outside, "Challenge Application," requesting it, or it can be downloaded from the Internet, at www.randi.org/research/challenge.html
10. This offer is made by James Randi through the JREF, on the behalf of no other person, agency or organization. Although others may become involved in the examination of claims and may add their reward money to the total in certain circumstances, James Randi (via the JREF) will carry out the implementation and management of the challenge. JREF will not entertain any demand that the prize money be deposited in escrow, displayed in cash, or otherwise produced in advance of the test being performed. JREF will not cater to such vanities.
11. This offer is open to any and all persons, in any part of the world, regardless of gender, race, educational background, etc., and will continue in effect until the prize is awarded. Upon the death of James Randi, the administration of the prize will pass into other hands, and it is intended that it continue in force.
12. EVERY APPLICANT MUST AGREE UPON WHAT WILL CONSTITUTE A CONCLUSION THAT, ON THE OCCASION OF THE FORMAL TEST, HE OR SHE DID OR DID NOT DEMONSTRATE THE CLAIMED ABILITY OR POWER. This form must be accompanied by a brief, two-paragraph description of what will constitute the demonstration.

PLEASE: Do not burden us with theories, philosophical observations, previous examples, anecdotal evidence or other comments! We are only interested in an actual demonstration.

NOTE: No special rules, exceptions, conditions, standards, or favors will be granted without the mutual agreement of those concerned — in advance. Any applicant who refuses to agree to meet the rules as outlined here, will not be considered to have ever been an applicant. Only complete agreement with these rules will allow the "applicant" to become a "claimant." Applicant, by signing, notarizing and submitting this form, signifies agreement with all of the above rules. Be advised that you should conduct proper and secure tests of your own to determine whether your abilities or claims are actually valid.

This application will be signed by JR and returned to you by mail after a test protocol has been mutually agreed upon, and a test date and location have been determined.

IMPORTANT: Only claims that can be verified by evidence under proper observing conditions will be accepted. JREF will NOT accept claims of the existence of deities or demons/angels, the validity of exorcism, religious claims, cloudbusting, causing the Sun to rise or the stars to move, etc. JREF will also NOT test claims that are likely to cause injury of any sort, such as those involving the withholding of air, food or water, or the use of illicit materials, drugs, or dangerous devices.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join