It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the paranormal: my view

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I like to describe myself as an open minded skeptic...

I am ready to believe anything... as long as you can provide me with repeatable scientific evidence.

I do believe that some of the phenomena out there is very real though as to the reasons why, thats another matter.

I do believe in the 'stones have memory theory', in that buildings and certain areas can be effected by the emotions of events, and in certain conditions replay them.
This also links into the Multiple Universe theory and into String theory. Perhaps ghosts are some kind of interuniverse cross over.
I do not exclude the possibilty that ghosts could be spirits of the dead but have yet to see any convincing evidence for this.

I believe that the majority of paranormal experiences have logical explanations:

This is from Wiki

Skeptics often explain ghost sightings with the principle of Occam's razor, which argues that explanations should maximize parsimony with the rest of our knowledge. They may suggest that, since few to none of us have ever had an interpersonal relationship with a ghost, but most or all of us have had an experience of self-delusion or have attributed a false cause to an event, that these options should be preferred in the absence of a great abundance of evidence. They are also keen to note that most ghost sightings happen when our senses are impaired, and that the evidence is unreliable because it doesn't occur when we have full use of our faculties

Sightings can also be explained by Hypnagogia (also spelled hypnogogia) and hypnopompia are experiences a person can go through when falling asleep in the case of hypnagogia, or waking up, in the case of hypnopompia.
I dont want to use excessive quoting so I wil stick a link in here Yes wiki again, you know you love it

My main point is, that I think the majority of sightings can be put down to rational explanations. Its those few that defy explanation that deserve futher study. Then we come into the area of trying to define some kind of scientific method for studying.

Thanks for reading this and you must forgive me for all the wiki sources, i will provide some more soon, its just wiki is multifaceted and easy to use!

Dan

mod edit to use "ex" instead of "quote"
Quote Reference.
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

[edit on 9-3-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I guess the 'paranormal' might be explained as that which is sensed or seen beyound our five senses.

that which is not seen with the eye, not heard by the ear. Not felt by the skin. But on an energetic level. That which surrounds us, that which we are build upon, that which guides us or misleads us, that that is conscious or unconscious.

Once the just way is accepted, there is no more talking about para normal, but about that which is our guidance, which directs us, wether this be seen or unseen, the unseen visualized, seen as a ghost, or seen in a human being, being the same way, I hope not seen in a ghost, cause this make it possible for others to mock with you, I don't know what you did deserving such a situation.

In another definition, the paranormal is that which is not yet seen, discovered, or new to mankind, on a higher plane, or, one can off course assume that everything that is seen 'beyond' is para-normal.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I kind of a agree with you:
I believe that the paranormal is an area of science, that isnt fully understood yet. Its the reasons for this phenomna that raises philosophical questions. I dont really think that ghosts for example are spirits of the dead, but i believe that some of the experiences people have are real, just there are other reasons, like ultra sound etc.
I suppose this can kind of apply to religion as well.

Though I remain open minded and would love people to post their views here!
Thanks

Dan

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
What is the PARANORMAL?

Here is my personal answer:

The paranormal encompasses ANYTHING that is not explainable in the terms of the physicall world we live in. Yes I know that is very broad, and alot of people would rather it be pinned down tighter. Like if I said 'ghosts' or something....but my actuall view of that word is more to the point.

~BEYOND NORMAL~......~Outside of the NORMAL knowns~........

I guess that is why alot of people would put Bigfoot in this catagory.....because he is not the regular KNOWN....I tend to take Paranormal more into the realms of the unseen, but in fact existing....

I do not put Aliens of Bigfoot under the definition of Paranormal........

I DO put OOBE & ALL phychic powers under the paranormal definition....

Now if it is solidly TRUE, that what a person believes, is TRUE for them, then the believers of such paranormal activity would MAKE IT TRUE in a sense, within there defintions. Whereas the absolute non believers would just as strongly make it NOT true.....so therein lies the quandry, as to what side your on and how the nubers add up for each side. Depending on the numbers of believers one way or another would create the outcome of the believed reality....

With this all said......I say I strongly believe in the Paranormal.....I have seen and experianced way WAY to MANY unexplicable events, that would defy any explination beyond the PARANORMAL.....some things defy a solid explination and this is what ~PARANORMAL~ means to me.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think the paranormal is sometimes normal to people who have and use their psi gifts, and is para(un)normal to people who don't use or are afraid or sceptical of psi..lol.

And, yes soon Psi will all be figured out and everyone will be doing it. Like for instance: the Brain Wave caps/chips scientists have already developed for severely handicapped people who can't use their arms or legs, which read 'thought waves' and send them to a pc. I looked in my browser and there are tons of links, here is one. This link describes BrainGate, an invention by Professor John Donohue

www.mindfully.org...

I just read the lower section of that link, and the scientists are also planning in the future to use microchips in the brain, so there will be no need to break the skin and they can transmit signals wirelessly. Ok...I'll stop and let you read the rest for yourself...lol.

p.s. I suspect that work being done at such places as IONs (testing on Psi subjects...see pk tests, healing tests), is also being done to learn more and collect information about different brain patterns/brain energy signals to move objects in different directions to be used for such valuable scientific research. See Psi tests for links already posted, or go to:

www.psiarcade.com...

Check out the test with the arrow at the top and the butterfly one...I think if you try doing a few, you will see what I am talking about.

One final thought: If psi/pk people can already move things, heal people and send telepathic signals to some degree without microchips, just think of what they might be able to do if they also had microchips installed? Sorry, I hope I didn't stray off topic Dan, it's just this stuff gets me going a little.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by DeeplyAwake]

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I do not like the word 'paranormal'; it is a misnomer and is often used to classify an event or experience that always occurs within a natural environment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, circumnavigates natural law, if something occurs or is experienced, and is without explanation in natural understanding, does not make it paranormal (except in semantic sense) and thus, above natural law.
All events, we experience with our senses, have natural explanations, some we understand, others we do not, but will one day do so.
We need to get away from the superstitious ambience that surrounds so-called 'para-normal' activity, and accept things for what they are...natural occurrences.

Regards

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I am ready to believe anything... as long as you can provide me with repeatable scientific evidence

I know what you meant but its best if we have repeatable scientific proof not evidence, then we dont believe anymore we know instead. Evidence can mount up to 'what appears to be...' but its not always proof.. hence why we are all still here asking things.

All events, we experience with our senses, have natural explanations, some we understand, others we do not, but will one day do so.

[edit on 11-3-2006 by syberkat]

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   

This also links into the Multiple Universe theory and into String theory. Perhaps ghosts are some kind of interuniverse cross over.

Yeah i guess il say il believe in multiple universes etc.. for want of a better word, it sounds logical.. tho its just theory.

Arguments against multiverse theories >

It's not science. Critics claim that there is a lack of empirical correlation and testability in these theories and thus they are without hard physical evidence and must therefore be considered unfalsifiable, currently outside the methodology of scientific investigation to confirm or disprove and therefore more mathematically theoretical and metaphysical than scientific in nature.

re quote >

currently outside the methodology of scientific investigation to confirm or disprove

Meaning science isnt allowed that far off its leash, they dont get funded for it its not their buisness..

Science is limited. They who run the show label it paranormal because they dont want us to know about that stuff, and be open to it and use it like they do against us. Normal people who follow the program dont care about paranormal stuff... (we are the freaks.. lol) labels are 1 of their number 1 psychological programming methods.

P
6 (upside down 6 etc...) 6 being imperfection and 666 being the devil . I.E. negative.

Well why else are P words so long and most of them are quite bad or deep?

President
prison, politics, polytheism, pastors, pewk!!

psychology, parapsychology, paranormal, pituitary (master gland in brain) you can find more yourself.

They love to take the P out of us i know that much..

[edit on 11-3-2006 by syberkat]

top topics

join