It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Z-Machine produced up to 3.6 billion degrees at Sandia National Laboratories.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
A Z-Machine in Sandia National Laboratories produces up to 3.6 billion degrees or 2 billion degrees kelvin. This was acheived by releasing 20 million amps of electricity into a vertical array of very fine tungsten wires. That alone is more than the tempratures of the sun or a thermonuclear reaction, this is by far the most heat ever created on earth.

news.yahoo.com
Scientists have produced superheated gas exceeding temperatures of 2 billion degrees Kelvin, or 3.6 billion degrees Fahrenheit.

This is hotter than the interior of our Sun, which is about 15 million degrees Kelvin, and also hotter than any previous temperature ever achieved on Earth, they say.

They don't know how they did it.

The feat was accomplished in the Z machine at Sandia National Laboratories.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is pretty amazing stuff, even more interesting is it actually released more energy than was put in, there might be uses for it like an alternative energy source of some kind.

It never ceases to amaze me what those brilliant minds can acheive, personally I never believed a temperature higher than the sun could be created here on earth, guess I was wrong.

It was rather funny that this was discovered by accident, but hopefully this wont be something more destructive to us in nuclear warfare of some kind.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sandia Z Accelerator - The Z Machine
Zero to 76,000 mph in a Second

[edit on 3/9/2006 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

[edit on 3/9/2006 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
ceases not seizes.

( ...never ceases to amaze me... )

temperature

Other than those spelling mistakes...

Yes. Wow. 20 Million AMPS? Damn imagine the circuit breaker for that!

[edit on 2006/3/9 by McGrude]

[edit on 2006/3/9 by McGrude]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
truly this is amazing, But is the news accurate.

Heres a link to the official website of the z reactor.
With answers like which test were responsible(vaguely) for which temperatures. the purpose(s) of this research and a few more technical descriptions than a bundle of tungsten wires. theres a good picture of what the little thing looks like. It's quite an interesting setup.

What's more amazing though is the picture of the reactor, it's like a spider web of wires tubs scaffolding and water sheilding. It's like looking at something out of a sci fi book.

official z reactor website.

once you actually click on the button in the left side of the screen It makes you wonder, sandia seems to be one of the leaders in crazy technology.

Sandi national laboratories

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
All this is quite a bit over my head, but it seems to me that there are a lot of strange things going on in the scientific world relative to energy these days.

Last year, when physicists placed a capsule of deuterium, or heavy hydrogen, at the focus of the z-pinch, they detected neutrons flying out from the implosion site – a signal that fusion reactions were taking place, as they do in the sun.

If researchers can learn to tame these fusion reactions, the setup can rely on a seemingly endless supply of deuterium fuel in seawater

www.livescience.com

When President Bush was going about recently talking about alternative energy, I got the impression that he wasn't only talking about wind and solar. These little tidbits really point to something bigger going on and I'm pretty sure that what is being released publicly is really only the tip of the iceberg. I hope so, anyway.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
/Quote
One thing that puzzles scientists is that the high temperature was achieved after the plasma’s ions should have been losing energy and cooling. Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions.
/Quote

Pulled from the article, could this be fusion created from purely electromagnetic forces??? They did say they didn't know HOW it got so hot, and it was putting out energy. Good Find!

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Somehow I think there original intent was to produce fusion. I think it mentions that somewhere.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Why do we have two threads on the same topic?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Why do we have two threads on the same topic?

Why are there 2 butterflies of the same species

Why are there 2 versions of The 40 Year Old Virgin

Why are there 2 Olson twins.....?

Choices my good friend...choices!

- One Man Short

[edit on 9-3-2006 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I wonder how they came up with the 2 billion temperate reading.

Sounds like misinformation to me.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Never mind that what happens if it pops and the end of time is a massive black hole that happens instantly wiping out this side of the galaxy? ROFL only man could be that stupid....but hey, they never knew if the atom bomb would chain react in the air, but they still tested it....

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
After I read John Titor who said something about the Z Machine, I set up my Google Alerts to search the web and newspapers for me. Two weeks later this happens - WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? What are the ramifications of this event? What can this be used for? What was happenning with the Z Machine in 2001 when this Titor person was posting? So many questions - who want's a beer?

[edit on 3/9/2006 by Thinker_1]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   
don't forget they want to use this machine to power the hyperdrive currently on the drawingboard and if there is a go ahead the build of a prototype they will use the z machine to power it and test if they get some kind of result.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Forgive the ignorance that I may be about to display
. Am I correct in assuming that this Z machine is some sort of power generator on steroids?

Oh never mind, just spotted the links
. Ooops.

It's amusing to note that the scientists involved aren't quite sure how the results were achieved. When one is cooking, one should always write down the recipe

[edit on 10-3-2006 by seagull]

XL5

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The 20 million amps is only for a split second. Discharge capacitors with a very fast rise time (discharge time) are used and could be charged by 120V ac (converted to high voltage DC) at 12amps, it would take some time but it could be done. They should scale it down and see if it works, they need to replace the wires being exploded every time it fires.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImplementOfWar
I wonder how they came up with the 2 billion temperate reading.

Sounds like misinformation to me.

They calculate that figure by how much the plasma "pushes" against the
magnetic field. During a period of 10 Nanoseconds, the fields were pushed
back to such a degree that they held their heads up and wondered immediately
if some of their instruments were malfunctioning. They rinsed and repeated,
found out their instruments were working fine, it was their experiment that
produced the unexpected effect, they calculated the exact force with which
the plasma was pushing against the field and voila, they came up with that
temperature figure.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
if it was hotter than our suns core, wouldnt everything in the vacinity have melted instantly or vapourised???

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by deafence#
if it was hotter than our suns core, wouldnt everything in the vacinity have melted instantly or vapourised???

The Magnetic Fields and the briefness of this particular reaction, 10 nanoseconds.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I apologize for my less than favorable grammar and spelling, I speak and write good English considdering I learned from TV and somewhat from school too and ofcourse frequenting chats, forums and instant messengers.

But this article was quite interesting IMO so I reported it, I didn't realise there was another news topic on this since I could not find it, could someone link it for me? thank you.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
No other news topic that I'm aware of. There are 2 or 3 forum threads on this topic though.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
yeah i was starting to wonder about what other things they are prone to using this technology for. I was thinking it's the same temperature as the core of the sun.

What if this sandia laboratories becomes crazy military high tech weaponry based on fusion. They can do all kinds of things wtih the Z reactor and lasers and crap. man if you look around at what's up on that site you'll see my side of it.

anyway What would happen as earlier mentioned (if a reactor managed to acheive a stable output) The reactor has a fault or isn't containable. what would the extreme temperatures do to the atmosphere, i think the atmosphere would ignite.

Or theres the possibility that it could produce magnetic feilds when continously running that would either screw with electronics or pull things towards it like in spiderman. There's all kinds of bad things that could happen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join