It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia not for UNSC referral on Iran nuke issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
not being offensive but i want to know since the US is running out of options and is left with a very hard choice to stop a nuclear iran what will be their agenda?. air-strikes is very riskey and will trigger an all out war which China and Russia have been warning Bush about. Perhaps a chance of being allied with one of the other

New York, March 9 (DPA) Russia still prefers to keep the crisis over Iran's nuclear programme out of the UN Security Council, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said.

Lavrov, fresh from talks with US leaders in Washington, Wednesday called for settling the dispute by having diplomats at the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), draw up steps aimed at keeping Iran from building nuclear weapons.

"Let's rely on the people we hire to look after this issue," Lavrov told reporters after talks with Secretary General Kofi Annan at UN headquarters.

www.dailyindia.com...

[edit on 9-3-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I still dont believe that Russia and China will go to all out war with the US over Iran. You can think that all you want but the fact of the matter is, neither China or Russia can get its military to the battlefield, and 2 China and US are both each others #1 trading partner. In my prediction, there will be airstrikes at somepoint, but I dont know when. Maybe not by the US but by Israel. Besides, whens the last time anyone listend to the toothless UN anyhow, they get nothing done and are a waste of taxpayers money of every nation. Most notably the US, that foots most of the bill anyhow.

[edit on 3/9/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Mehran China and Russia do not care about Iran that much.

The USA provides a large chunk of China's food, Australia provides China a large Chunk of their Uranium. China cannot afford a war with the west for at least 30 years minimum.

China and Russia would sit back and watch Iran fall. It would by no means strengthen relations with the USA but it would NOT weaken them into all out war.

Nuclear Iran will suffer the same fate as Iraq. Airstrikes would be the first option and mabey a small amount of ground forces. The Iranaian government would be overthrown and the US would control the Iranian oil reserves.

Sorry to say it but things aren't looking good for Iran and your government is to blame.

Also put it this way. The USA already has about 300,000 troops in a country right next door to Iran. It also has 18,000 in another country right next to Iran. The USA is the only country in the world with the ability to deploy its forces anywhere in the world within 24 hours. Iran could be invaded or airstriked tomorrow without warning. Iran doesn't have the capability to do this to the USA.

IMO Iran is messing with the wrong country. I'm not from the USA but I know the power of their military.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by yeoldehomer]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran
---(snip)---
air-strikes is very riskey and will trigger an all out war which China and Russia have been warning Bush about. Perhaps a chance of being allied with one of the other

What ‘all out war’ has China and Russia been warning about? Let alone the ‘allied’ portion of you comment.

I’m not purporting the US by making these statements however; in comparison Iran’s diplomatic corps is in it infancy an the US holds many cards left out of play. Both China and Russia can be bought, just as Iran has purchased their so-called ‘friendship’; many conversations are taking place away from Iran's ears.

The “issue of Iran” is currently being negotiated and Iran is no longer “negotiating”; that should tell you Iran’s place in the world.

Additionally, these kinds of “press” statements only tout arrogance:

Tehran's newspapers published news of the decision on their front pages Thursday. The official Persian-language daily Iran called the move "a message of weakness and failure" by the nuclear agency.
AP Source

mg

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Actually, I dont see this as much of an issue as others...

Iran was a moderate country. It will be again someday...
presently, there are talks behind closed doors of all irans allies. The talk is "how can we convince you?" not "you better or else"

And as far as the US goes... I dont know what the Iranian papers are saying, but I can tell you that the EU is ruining trousers daily in fear of a nuclear Iran. The USA couldn't really care much... it doesn't threaten us... (unless you are an israeli American)
the EU is scared, because Iran is just a long bike ride from europe.

Iran probably does have the right to pursue new nuke tech... but having a crazy hate mongering president isn't going to win any world support.
(you can be proud of him if you want, but you can't convince me otherwise)

Too bad the old president isn't still around... the Russians would be giving Iran fuel, and we could be figuring out how to get out of iraq...

Oh, and Mehran... glad you are here to comment on these things. a sincere thanks

[edit on 10-3-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

top topics

join