It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's Prime Minister Follows Bush Lead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Canada's newly elected Prime Minister, Stephen Harper is following in US President Bush' footsteps. Harper recently appointed an ex-Liberal MP who is being investigated by the ethics commissioner for unethical conduct. According to Harper he can do whatever he wants, "The power to make cabinet appointments is a power that resides in the office of the prime minister as the highest elected, democratically elected official in the country."

Harper defends cabinet pick in wake of ethics probe

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he has the right to choose whoever he wants for his cabinet, and defended his appointment of an ex-Liberal MP who is being investigated by the ethics commissioner.

"The power to make cabinet appointments is a power that resides in the office of the prime minister as the highest elected, democratically elected official in the country," Harper told reporters on Tuesday.

"And this prime minister has no intention of ceding that jurisdiction in any way shape or form to any government official, and I've conveyed that view to the ethics commissioner."

And rules, laws and ethics be damned.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Being from Canada, I honestly dont give two hoots whether its Paul Martin, Chretien or Harper running the show.

The election south of us has more of an impact on our daily lives than any ballot up here. We can not even vote for the name on the ballot, you vote for the party. Our MP's can not do anything, they need to follow the party line.

A friend of mine is our current MP, and naturally I would cast my vote for him, however not a supporter of the Liberal party.

If you were to poll every Canadian out their, smart, not so smart, poor and rich.. I bet you close to 40% do not know who Harper is, and some will think Chretien is still PM. Or others will say I remember some Trudeau guy.

Canada needs a leader to stand up and preach something he believes in. Bush, whether you like him or not stands up for something.

Seems like Harper is voicing his strength already, wonder if he will chew on his toes as much as the recent PM's.

Sorry for getting off topic, sick of our governments.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Being from Canada, ...

Canada needs a leader to stand up and preach something he believes in. Bush, whether you like him or not stands up for something.

Seems like Harper is voicing his strength already, wonder if he will chew on his toes as much as the recent PM's.

All right! There's a slogan. Or two.

Stand up for ethical misconduct.

Forget ethics. I RULE!

Voters? What voters?

I'm here for the CASH. Vote for me.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Originally posted by chissler
Being from Canada, ...

All right! There's a slogan. Or two.

Stand up for ethical misconduct.

Forget ethics. I RULE!

Voters? What voters?

I'm here for the CASH. Vote for me.

No I am not standing up for unethical conduct. I just wish one of our politicians would stand for something. I followed the Chretien government, the Martin government and what did they stand for? Anything at all?

Bush believes in the Iraq war, I do not. But atleast you see where he stands on certain issues.

As a politician in the public eye, it should be well known what your beliefs are. I dont believe you should be sitting on the fence on any issue.

I may of came off as condoning unethical conduct, but it was not my notion. Was merely saying its the first time I seen a Canadian politician directly answering a criticism.

Martin and the sponsorship scandal would always dodge the questions, Harper did not dodge anything. He defended his actions. Right or wrong, I am alittle pleased to see him defend his actions.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
If I didn't live here, this would be almost funny.

Before the election
"We're ethical, vote for us. Transparency in government is what we're all about."

After the election
"Dare to question my decision? I'll just replace you with a new Ethics Commisioner"

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Before the election
"We're ethical, vote for us. Transparency in government is what we're all about."

After the election
"Dare to question my decision? I'll just replace you with a new Ethics Commisioner"

I figured we elected a 'pig in a poke' with Harper. Those recently deceased ghosts of the Common Sense Revolution (*hawk and spit*) are coming back to haunt us. The Mike Harris 'shrug' has returned, borne on the shoulders of Harper.

Look out Canada.

For sale is our energy in the form of oil, natural gas and electricity. Our water is also on the block, as are our sons and daughters in the War on Terror in Afghanistan.

Watch as this man, supported by such fine think tanks as the Fraser Institute, corporate lobbyists and the remnants of the Ontario Conservatives attempt to destroy Canada's sovereignty.

Sad...my pathetic vote for the Greens seems now like the proverbial tree falling in the forest...unheard and ignored. Our only hope is that the minority government will be somewhat restrained.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Frankly, it doesn't really seem to matter who is "in charge" in Canada. Liberals, Conservaties, there just doesn't really seem to be a difference. Oh sure, the names and faces in parliament change and, of course, the all important LOGOS change but nothing really changes.

The government of Canada will continue to run things as the corporatations dictate. The government of Canada will continue to ignore the desires of the people. In my view, I find very little difference between the two major parties in Canada. It's almost like they both work towards one goal ... making themselves and the corporations they reperesent RICHER.

The Libs and the Cons seem to be opposite sides of the same coin....the rhetoric from each "seperate party" is different but the goals and aims are almost always the same.

When Paul Martin was prime minister, he had strong anti-American rhetoric to demonstrate that he was a true Canadian nationalist but the truth is that there are Canadian Troops in Afghanistan being killed and injured. Martin wasn't perceived as a "tool" of the US anti terrorist war but , just like the present conservative government in Canada, he played the same tune.

It's all "blue smoke and mirrors".

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Frankly, it doesn't really seem to matter who is "in charge" in Canada. Liberals, Conservaties, there just doesn't really seem to be a difference. Oh sure, the names and faces in parliament change and, of course, the all important LOGOS change but nothing really changes.

Exactly.

New name, new party.. same old story.

The members of the party can not even stand up for what they believe in, they can not do much for the ridings they represent. They follow the party line and do what they are told, even though they are supposed to be the voice of the people who voted for them.

Great system we have in Canada!

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Canada: A nation that staggers from one political extreme to another, while managing to always elect the same kind of idiots.

In a way it's almost comforting that the Conservatives are acting like they own the place, instead of having a minority that depends on the support of the BQ. It lets me know that nothing has really changed and it's all about power and money, screw what they said in the election.

I like to know where I stand.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Harper is doing a good job but unlike President Bush, he is currently severely constrained in what he can or cannot do in parliament due to the weak hold on power he has. Bush on the other hand is as powerful as a president can be outside of his country being in a full-blown war.

In regards war, it seems logical to me to be in a war that you choose than to be in a war that you are forced into.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Reading the local newspaper at the moment and on the front page is an article about this situation.

The first paragraph consists of the fact that once Harper was aware of the situation and his background, he attempted to remove Emerson from the newly appointed position.

Now all of the sudden he is backing his decision with an iron fist saying it is his right and duty to do as he pleases.

How about making up your mind?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Harper, Martin, Chretien... who can even tell the difference?

I like this one:

The Tories have tried to mute the controversy by keeping Emerson under wraps.

He was made to wait in the cabinet room for more than half an hour after most of his colleagues had left Tuesday's meeting and emerged while most reporters were covering Harper's remarks.

Ethics commissioner vows to stay on the job

I love this new definition of transparency in government.

new topics

top topics

join