It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pastor protests the rights of fallen American soldiers to a peaceful burial

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The best way to handle Phelps's is to ignore him and I think that most Americans could do a good job of that, but the media give him all the attention he wants and needs.

It has occurred to me that Phelps and Madalyn Murray O'Hair are two sides of the same coin.

Of all the media descriptions of Madalyn O’Hair written when news of her disappearance came to light, she would have been most angered by the suggestion that she had slid into "obscurity" since her heyday in the early '60s. The reports noted that O’Hair was brash, profane and vulgar, that she had a reputation for being abrasive and turning friends and allies into enemies, that she was notoriously tight-fisted and always looking for ways to enrich her empire -- all of those things she might have agreed with. But the idea that she had been passed over, forgotten, returned to anonymity after her brush with fame and destiny -- that would have rankled. She was "America’s most hated woman," as she liked to remind herself and others, and she preferred being hated to being a forgotten has-been.

She became America’s most hated woman in 1963, when her lawsuit protesting school prayer reached the U. S. Supreme Court. Photographs show Madalyn standing on the steps of the high court with her two sons, Jon Garth, then 9, and Bill, 16. She is smiling, hovering lovingly over her boys, and respectably attired with a demure hat and gloves. But the conventional-looking matron was -- unthinkably for the early '60s -- a divorcée and an avowed Communist with two illegitimate sons, sired by two different fathers.

The Supreme Court decision banning prayer in school enabled Madalyn to throw off the bondage of poverty and anonymity and gave her life a direction and a purpose. First though, she had to settle that bit of legal trouble with the Baltimore police -- she was accused of assaulting five officers when they came to her home to retrieve a runway teenager. (The teen was a girlfriend of Madalyn’s oldest son, Bill). Madalyn and her family escaped to Hawaii, then Mexico. After successfully resisting an extradition order to Maryland, she settled in Texas, where she preached the gospel of the separation of church and state.

crimemagazine.com

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I don't know about you and that article Grady but in this day and times is hundreds of women like the one you mention.

Are all single mothers and Atheist now criminals also, I don't get it Grady.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It's okay marg. I don't expect everyone to get it. "He that hath ears, let him hear."

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hmm... I'm wondering if it's possible that a member of this man's church could possibly be the anti-christ. Phelps is probably too old and badly publicized to do the job, but I'm wondering if one of his members could have a shot at it.

Just a random thought...

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
what did Madalyn O’Hair disrupt funerals also?

or are you hinting that those that don't feel that the school system is the place for religous practices, or have illegitamate kids, are somehow just as offensive as those who take on the habit of disrupting funerals in order to voice their political/religious views?

was madalyn locked up in a mental institution, because if this guy was doing what he's doing a few 40 years ago, he probably would have been. no sane person would have been so callous and insensitive, that's for sure.

name me one thing that the left has done that even comes close to this in rudeness and insensitivity.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Hatred is a symptom of pain.

No one is capable of hatred on a scale such as this unless they are in intense, profound spiritual agony.

These people have to live with themselves, to see their own faces in the mirror which wither a little more each day as their hatred consumes them from within.

To hate them is to join them, which is something I will not do.

And lest I be misunderstood: though I pity them, I do not agree that they have a right to cause pain to others.

There is no such right enumerated in the Constitution, and arguments to the contrary are groundless.

That, my friend, is where you as vastly incorrect.

I'm not going to pretend to know 100% what Phelps is on the inside, but I am pretty much convinced that Phelps is very honest in what he says. Ironically, if he's got anything going for him, its his honesty.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I don't know about you and that article Grady but in this day and times is hundreds of women like the one you mention.

Are all single mothers and Atheist now criminals also, I don't get it Grady.

Don't be surprised. That is where Grady stands. I'm actually surprised he's not supporting Phelps' crusade.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Please delete.

[edit on 2006/3/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Don't be surprised. That is where Grady stands. I'm actually surprised he's not supporting Phelps' crusade.

Is this where Grady stands, or is this where others say Grady stands? Not everyone is equally capable of abstract thought, but I can't help that.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
seems to me, Grady, you are the only one who can really answer that question.....

we're waiting....

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I have presented my case. That is all that is necessary.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
then I'll assume that you feel that those who believe that the church should be separate from the state are as offensive as those who disrupt funerals in an effort to voice thier totally unrelated political or religous rants....

oh, would you mind if we....um.....me and my pals....assembled at your child's graduation to protest haliburton?

[edit on 9-3-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I vaguely recall the case Grady--I don't remember very much about it though as I was overseas during that time. Didn't one of her sons end up killing her years later?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The link describes O'Hair's life and death better than I can.

[edit on 2006/3/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
You know folks if you've read your history then you should know that our founding fathers believed very strongly that the state should not be allowed to get into the church (i.e., a total hands off policy); however, they did not believe the church should stay out of the state. On the contrary, they felt strongly that religion could and should provide enlightened guidance to the state. Were our founding fathers alive today to see where their attempt to insure a free church has taken us they would be apalled.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
After driving that young woman to suicide, this evil man will answer to a far higher judge. My only concern is that he is going to take someone with him when he goes, or many someones. Grandchildren and great-grandchildren all indoctrinated in his brand of hatred.

When does our tolerance of other views end? When does a viewpoint go to far? I've sat here at my desk for about 2 hours reading about this sick little turd of a man, and his flim flam act. I can't answer my own questions, maybe one of you can.

All I see is 3 generations of children being abused, and brainwashed by this monster. His own son described him best: A two year old boy, in the body of an adult, with an adult intellect.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Vast Incorrection

That, my friend, is where you as vastly incorrect.

Could you be so kind as to explain what I am incorrect about, and how?

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Have u ever seen Phelps? The guy lives for stuff like this. He was so excited before the funeral, saying he was "pumped up" or something like that.

I realize its way over the top, but he said something to that degree and it doesn't look like he was in any pain.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
...however, they [founding fathers] did not believe the church should stay out of the state.

Astonomer;

You have been duped by the Christian right as that is the very revisionist history they would love for everyone to believe.

James Madison (father of our Constitution) said that both religion AND government will exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together.

The government should have NO HAND in religion and no religion should be able to influence the government.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Have u ever seen Phelps? The guy lives for stuff like this. He was so excited before the funeral, saying he was "pumped up" or something like that.

I realize its way over the top, but he said something to that degree and it doesn't look like he was in any pain.

um emotionalpain, perhaps? he's not gonna do a press conference when he's in the comedown phase most likely unpleased and unpleasable. To get 'pumped' over something like that you gotta be a pretty sick puppy. when you're sick you feel pain, when your mentally sick, you experience mental pain. i think the hair has been fairly split, back to the topic at hand, who protests funerals? what's that about? if you turn the other cheek to this guy, is he just gonna boot ya in the arse? (mind you a good booting would be in order. . .
)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join