It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pastor protests the rights of fallen American soldiers to a peaceful burial

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigNewsDay
First off, thank you Websurfer for linking to my Blog (and your welcome for the pics)! This issue has sickened me greatly.
I was also sickened by the Hannety audio. I can't beleive that Mr. Hannety linked this pathetic group of right-wing extremists to the left. Fair and Balanced

You talk about them looking for a reason to talk trash like that. Jeez...

Back to Phelps, I was truly horrified to listen to some of the stuff they said. its just demonic. And it was even worse watching the mother of Jeremy Doyle, holding the hand of one of the lead protesters, practically begging them to please leave them alone. That was tough to watch, even worse was the kinds of s**t they were screaming at her as the mother walked back to her car.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Also, I'm not sure if you guys saw this on Paula Zahn the other day, but Phelps went as far as to call the CNN reporter questioning him a "fag" or some other derogatory term for homosexuals, just because he continually questioned him.

Is this guy off the deep end or what?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I understand that laws are already being drafted to limit protests near funerals, but aren't some of these protesters' actions already pushing the limits of existing laws? I don't believe someone can legally approach a stranger in a public place and start screaming "FAG!" in their face with impunity. There is certainly a fine line somewhere between freedom of speech and (for example) harassment. I like to think of myself as a strong supporter of free speech, but I must admit that I do not know precisely where those lines are given current laws.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Wow, this Phelps "man" is one sick freak. His list of crimes, misconduct, and generally reprehensible activity is too long to list.

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently, he is addicted to hate.

During 1993–94 interviews with the Topeka Capital-Journal, four of Phelps' children asserted that their father's religious beliefs were either nonexistent to begin with or have dwindled down to nearly nothing since his conversion to the Baptists; they claim that Westboro serves to enable a paraphilia of Phelps, wherein he is literally addicted to hatred (this statement would serve as the inspiration for the title of the book about Phelps' life). Two of his sons, Mark and Nate, claim that the church is actually a carefully planned cult that allows Phelps to see himself as a demigod, wielding absolute control over the lives of his family and congregants, essentially turning them into slaves that he can use for the sole purpose of gratifying his every whim and acting as the structure for his delusion that he is the only righteous man on Earth.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by koji_K]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
war criminals should not receive a hero's burial. " i was just following orders" is not an excuse.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigspud
war criminals should not receive a hero's burial. " i was just following orders" is not an excuse.

Ok, this is way off topic and completely out of line. Leave your political beliefs out of this conversation as they have nothing to do with it.

This guy is a complete dickhead. I guess homosexuals arent people to this guy. I dont support their lifestyle but I support their right to be as humans. This guy is looking for the spotlight in my opinion and nothing else. As the fact that there are some gay rights in the US and its soldiers dying are not interconnected in any way, shape, or form.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Still On Patroll

Originally posted by bigspud

If you have evidence that Sgt. Davila was a war criminal, please feel free to post it.

If you don't, then I suggest reviewing the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use -- particularly this part:

Originally posted by SimonGray
1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Please note the definition of what a war criminal is, and be mindful of the proper use of that term in the future.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree spud...off topic

Hate American soldiers in the Hate American Soldiers thread...not here.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
Why are gays joining the military and fighting in Iraq in the first place? I thought that most of these people would be democrats and against the war like all democrats are SUPPOSED to be from head office.

I see that the programming is working well in your case. C'mon man, start thinking for yourself and not from some prerecieved notions fed to you. That might actually put yourself into the same catagory as Phelp's accolites.

I think I made a new word.

Sorry guy I appreciate your concern for my well being but I was trying to point out inconsistency here in logic. Most of the gay community is liberal and liberals are against the war. So if I was a liberal then I would not go to Iraq unless I had to.

There is no rule that anyone has to be a liberal and gay at the same time of course but it is not a likely combination.

Phelps is speaking his mind and I support that, he is just the opposite of extreme leftists that have also been disrupting societal events for decades for their own political gains.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"he is just the opposite of extreme leftists that have also been disrupting societal events for decades for their own political gains."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't aware that funerals were considered societal events.....always seemed to be rather private affairs, unless of course you a statesmen or celebrity or something. even then, I don't think you'd get away with holding demonstrations at the funeral of a president or a celebrity without getting yourself hauled off to jail on some kind of charge. I can't for the life of me understand why this guy is being tolerated by the legal authorities. there has to be some charges that can be filed against him, even if it's a simple tresspassing charge or something. and considering some of the stupid things the cops sometimes chose to act on....well, this should be place high on their list of things to address.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I read through the posts and didn't see whether anyone posted this freak's web site. I've known about it for awhile. If you care to take a peak at the depths if this moron's depravity, the freak show is here:

www.godhatesfags.com...

and here:

www.godhatesamerica.com...

[edit on 9-3-2006 by Freedom_for_sum]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Phelps has every right to preach his religion as he sees it. Fringe beliefs are those requiring the most protection under our system of laws. By their nature they are perhaps the most troublesome to tolerate.
His free speech also entails the freedom of rebuttal, loudly expressed here. The Bikers who counter-protest his group expressed their viewpoint loudly at each of his appearances. All's well in America.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
thanks for reminding me that I hadn't visited his site......I got to the first page, read a little, and found myself wishing someone would just kill the sucker....so I left it alone.

an army of fags???.......

my son is in the military, no he's not gay, but well, he says he can't even go a day on the base without someone coming up to him and telling about the "good news"!!!
the fags didn't infiltrate our military, the christian right did.....maybe he's trying to say that these fundalmentalists christians are all gay??

can we send him to Iraq, we can pretend that he's one of their bomb-sniffing dogs?

------------------------------------------

no, all is not well!!

when we send our young men and women overseas to fight our wars and they come back to us in coffins, we deserve the right to bury them with the respect and dignity they deserve, not in the midst of a political frenzy.
if we can't respect the deaths of these men and women, well, we've lost the capability of respecting anything!

[edit on 9-3-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Back to Phelps, I was truly horrified to listen to some of the stuff they said. its just demonic. And it was even worse watching the mother of Jeremy Doyle, holding the hand of one of the lead protesters, practically begging them to please leave them alone. That was tough to watch, even worse was the kinds of s**t they were screaming at her as the mother walked back to her car.

Scumbags. No sense of decency at all, immune to even a mother's grieving pleas.

Hannity has tunnel-vision most of the time, but this time he was totally wrong.

Edit:
And I must object to labeling this guy Phelps as "right-wing". Just because he attempts to wrap himself in the Bible does not make him "right-wing". I'd object just as loudly if he were to be labeled "left-wing. The only "wing" he qualifies for is "Wing-nut", imo.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In my earlier post, I referred to them as "a group of right-wing extremists", but I'll retract that statement and just call them a group of extremists. I know the right wants to be associated with these freaks about as much as the left does. The intersting thing is that Mr. Phelps actually ran in the Kansas primary for Governor on a few occasions as a Democrat, as well as supported Al Gore in many of his elections. Al Gore had actually invited the entire Phelps family to the White House.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, if nothing else, this idiot's ravings and actions prove conclusively that freedom is alive and well in America. Sixty years ago the man would have been beat to a pulp, shot, or lynched for what he is doing. In a way that's kind of a commentary on the state of society today isn't it.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The hatred spewing from many people here is quite scary. I fail to see where your response is of any higher moral standing than his. It seems to resemble a battle where the side with most power wins rather than a debate indicating relative merits of both sides.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yes, we hate. We hate Fred Phelps and his ilk. No it does not make us anymore morally righteous, but hey, we still hate him!

These people aren't even friendly. They were absolutely incensed that CNN would dare question what they were doing, as I said earlier, calling the reporters themselves derogatory forms of homosexuals.

I think someone said it earlier, but this isn't free speech, this is harassment, sexual harassment in the case of the reporters being attacked.

I bet even Saddam hates them, even though Phelps did thank Saddam...

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigNewsDay
In my earlier post, I referred to them as "a group of right-wing extremists", but I'll retract that statement and just call them a group of extremists. I know the right wants to be associated with these freaks about as much as the left does. The intersting thing is that Mr. Phelps actually ran in the Kansas primary for Governor on a few occasions as a Democrat, as well as supported Al Gore in many of his elections. Al Gore had actually invited the entire Phelps family to the White House.

Which is why I'm glad I did not support Gore in 2000.

Strangely enough, Phelps and his crew did a great job of degrading Clinton...

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hate Hatred

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Yes, we hate. We hate Fred Phelps and his ilk. No it does not make us anymore morally righteous, but hey, we still hate him!

I don't hate Fred Phelps or his followers. I feel sorry for them.

Hatred is a symptom of pain.

No one is capable of hatred on a scale such as this unless they are in intense, profound spiritual agony.

These people have to live with themselves, to see their own faces in the mirror which wither a little more each day as their hatred consumes them from within.

To hate them is to join them, which is something I will not do.

And lest I be misunderstood: though I pity them, I do not agree that they have a right to cause pain to others.

There is no such right enumerated in the Constitution, and arguments to the contrary are groundless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join