It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pastor protests the rights of fallen American soldiers to a peaceful burial

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Ever since I heard of Fred Phelps, I have wanted nothing but to cause the man incredible pain. First he hates gays and taunts them at funerals, now his own soldiers??? If I could, nothing would give me more satisfaction than the opportunity to spit into his face.

Even more sickening was how people like Sean Hannity took advantage of the situation and outright lied about who exactly was behind the protest to continue their right-wing cheerleading ways. I say if we burn Phelps, we burn Hannity for their inability to expose people like him.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This guy is a wacko leading what amounts to a cult. He sends his followers into harms way in the hope they will be attacked and maybe even killed. Then he can tell those other followers that this is proof they are on the right path because the heathen has now made martyrs of the rightious.

He wants martyrs for his cause. Just which member of his church gets killed first doesn't matter to him.

I do not believe the government should be monitoring our churches, but this one is so far out there they should probably have an eye kept on them. What they are doing at his behest is dangerous.

Wupy

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's one thing to protest the war, but it's totally another to insult the memories of those who died for their country and their countrymen. This is the same guy who went around spreading hate speech about gays awhile back too... I must say that I am not impressed at all with this man. Unfortunately, at least as far as American law goes, I don't think this guy has actually committed any crime. He is, however, a bigoted arsehole that I really, really hope will shut up and not show up in the media ever again, unless it is to apologize to the fallen soldiers and their families, and to all the gay people.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I was not aware that the followers are his own family members, JS.

Also I agree that our fallen heroes and Their families has nothing to do with any homosexual agenda.

So the man is out of his mind, or like I said before he has his own hidden agenda.

And it's not about the love of the Jesus either.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
...does the devil really have a spot reserved just for you?

I have no idea what the afterlife is like or even if there even is one and I believe no human who claims to speak authoritatively about one. I have never, to my knowledge, ever spoken with a non-human regarding this topic. I would think that if Mr. Phelps could guarantee beyond a doubt that I would be delivered directly to hell at my demise that there would be a mass conversion among ATS members to Mr. Phelps' religious persuasion.

My favorite view of the universe, both material and non-material, can be found here:

www.urantia.org

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Rest assured only a matter of time before these lowlifes picket the wrong veterans funeral on the wrong day and end up in the emergency room. Or worse. I can only speak for myself when I say that if it were my brother or father being buried and these scumbags showed up with those picket signs, it would take every ounce of humanity that I could muster to keep from beating somebody senseless. What a sick group of individuals

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is one of these places where christianity and satanism meet...

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
I can only speak for myself when I say that if it were my brother or father being buried and these scumbags showed up with those picket signs, it would take every ounce of humanity that I could muster to keep from beating somebody senseless. What a sick group of individuals

I don't know if anyone noticed, but virtually all his followers are lawyers. They picket with video cameras rolling. Phelps is no moron. He's looking for a fight in the name of the Lord. He chooses to attack people when they are the most vulnerable--at the loss of a loved one. I can think of nothing that is more reprehensible.

[edit on 2006/3/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
all lawyers, huh?? almost sounds like a case of entrapment to me. the chose to harass a bunch of emotionally charged people (mourners), and well, have the cameras and the lawyers there an ready to rake in the money. or at least that would be part of my defense...along with a strong statement regarding what I think about a society and legal system that would allow such idiots to people in this manner.

if someone actually knocks one of these guys on their tails and the vidios are shown on tv, can we post a petition on this site for everyone to pass around for people to sign basically saying we're glad they did it!! they deserved it, and well, it wouldn't have been necessary to begin with is the legal system was actually acting on behalf of the people instead of being the screwed up mess that it is?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Grady: you missed Phelps in his full rant, which is a wonder to behold. I happened to be targeted by his organization because my name is a gender-anonymous name (could be male or female) and his merry little bunch assumed that I was male and living in sin with another male (my husband.)

I really wanted them to show up on my lawn and protest, because I knew the local municipal police chief, the city attorney, and a number of nice cops as well as the staff of the local newspaper. Ah was set for a media blitz... and then for shipping the whole pack off to the local jail to rot for disturbing the peace and tresspassing.

BTW, this "Baptist church" is really a true cult.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Yep. The only way he can get people into his hate-filled self-religion is by having them married into his family. Some of his family have denounced him and escaped him, but at last count I believe there are only 2-3 non-family members in the bunch.

He loves control and micromanaging. Not many people will stand for that.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Grady: you missed Phelps in his full rant, which is a wonder to behold. I happened to be targeted by his organization because my name is a gender-anonymous name (could be male or female) and his merry little bunch assumed that I was male and living in sin with another male (my husband.)

Could you elaborate on that? Did you send him an email or do they have members reading the board? Did they swamp you with emails, phone calls, thought insertions (just kidding on that last one)?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
What a twisted display of Free Speach.

Thank god for dead bigots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Yep. From the original link:

Fred Phelps is the pastor of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka. The congregation is made up mostly of his family. Phelps has 13 children, 54 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren.

sweatmonicaIdo, can you elaborate on this?

Even more sickening was how people like Sean Hannity took advantage of the situation and outright lied about who exactly was behind the protest to continue their right-wing cheerleading ways. I say if we burn Phelps, we burn Hannity for their inability to expose people like him.

I'm not familiar with Hannity's role in this at all. Did he make excuses for Phelps or something?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
if god loves IEDs so much - will some one pastor numptys SUV ???

HECK - THE PASTOR WILL - SHOULD APPRECIATE THE IRONY :p

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Isn't that what anyone who uses the Bible as a means to say that homosexuality is wrong doing? Aren't they are picking and choosing from the Old Testament which of the Holiness Code should still be in force today?

Yes, that's what I said. Phelps is using the bible and preaching only what he thinks should be preached....like hate for gays and hate for whatever else he can think of.

Thinking homosexuality is wrong doing is one thing, but acting on it by hatred and discremination is another. Two different things, imo.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I'm not familiar with Hannity's role in this at all. Did he make excuses for Phelps or something?

He didn't even mention Phelps. What he instead did was make the protest out to be genuine anti-war protests incited by "liberals" (which, even if it was true, would be an inaccurate statement). He picked out very specific newspaper articles and grafted a story together that pretty much took out the Fred Phelps aspect and almost made it look like a genuine anti-war protest committed by left-wingers. And no, this is no misinterpretation or misunderstanding: he clearly states that these protesters are the anti-war left. Here's the link to his statement as well as a clip of exactly what he said, so you can let Mr. Hannity speak for himself.

Media Matters

Mr. Phelps, his family, Mr. Hannity, please suffer tremendously and be urinated on.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
the guy is just following what he believes the bible is telling him. there are people that drink strychnine and snake venom because they interpret the bible as telling them to do it. people can be outraged all they want but the underlying problem is religion itself. start protesting religion if you don't like him.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
First off, thank you Websurfer for linking to my Blog (and your welcome for the pics)! This issue has sickened me greatly.
I was also sickened by the Hannety audio. I can't beleive that Mr. Hannety linked this pathetic group of right-wing extremists to the left. Fair and Balanced

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yetichi
the guy is just following what he believes the bible is telling him. there are people that drink strychnine and snake venom because they interpret the bible as telling them to do it. people can be outraged all they want but the underlying problem is religion itself. start protesting religion if you don't like him.

I totally agree, religion is the problem. But its not as if most religious people do what Phelps is doing. We need to deal with Phelps first and hopefully, find a way to improve religion rather than getting rid of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join