It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Payed Teacher $1 to Miss Class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
In Florida a Physical Education teacher charged his year six to eight students 1 US dollar per day to miss his class.

www.msnbc.msn.com
Terence Braxton, 28, took the payoffs between September and December, resigning after the principal learned of the scheme from a parent, authorities said.

The charges accuse Braxton of taking about $230 from six students, but sheriff’s spokesman Mike Ward said the teacher’s take was probably much greater.

He is being sought on bribery charges.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Apparently he could have taken in thousands of dollars during late 2005.

Just shows the poor standard of education in some schools. Possibly hundreds of kids running around with no classes over a few months, and not one person notices. A parent had to contact the principal in the end.

I wonder if it was $2 for a get-out-of-detention-free card?

It makes you think how much this could be happening as well.
How many tens of thousands of under-paid, over-worked teachers are there? Hitting two birds with one stone sure is in evidence here.

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com
www.tomorrowyesterday.com

[edit on 8/3/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I question as to whether PE is education at all. These kids did a great service to themselves and they as well as the teacher should be applauded.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Why is there such incredulity about this ?? What do people expect when teachers get paid peanuts to teach kids who dont want to learn and are too dangerous to be encouraged to learn ?
You dont pay teachers nearly enough for them to risk their necks day in and day out to contain the thugs that kids of today have become. Why wouldnt a PT teacher want to get rid of kids who dont want to learn and make money too ? They stay happy(which ensures his saftey !) and he gets a more manageable class and also gets paid extra for it !

You cant expect some sanctimoinious institution of "learning" with the attitude people have towards a school and its teachers, one that is purely a commerical service than anything else, one where what is more important is 'getting by' than 'going throungh'. Where in this sad morass of hypocrisy and apathy do we really expect kids to learn and teachers to really teach ?

Arent the kids who pay the 1$ equally responsible as the teacher ? How innocent are kids really these days ?

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sounds like a great deal. The problem kids leave me alone and I get paid a little extra for it? I am putting up a sign in my classroom!

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
I question as to whether PE is education at all. These kids did a great service to themselves and they as well as the teacher should be applauded.

Kidding right? Have you seen how bad obesity in children is these days.Physical ED conducted properly teaches kids very important lessons. The benefits of working hard,practising skills,teamwork and respect.Not to mention the fact that they'll be healthier, happier and generally live longer than those that dont participate in physical activity,even if its just going for a walk.

new topics

top topics

join