It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible pond found on Mars!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
I'm pretty sure we found one lake already...iced over, in a crater.

Yup, Mars Express did!

large image inside

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Here is an old thread I made about trees on mars, Great pics, check it out
Yeah! TREES!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mars rocks, any way you look at it!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Here is an old thread I made about trees on mars, Great pics, check it out
Yeah! TREES!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mars rocks, any way you look at it!

Are they really and why do you believe that these are rocks even if they look nothing like rocks. Now i have looked at your past posts and you did not always believe they were 'rocks' so i am wondering what changed your mind?

Stellar

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
In the equitorial zones, the surface temperature of Mars averages at 15c, so liquid water could indeed exist, temperature wise. However, due to the low air pressure on Mars, it would be difficult to find any large amounts of liquid water, even in the warm regions.

Well actually there very much busy arguing with each other over what they are their seeing/not seeing on Mars.

WASHINGTON -- Researchers using NASA's Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft announced Thursday that they found puzzling signs of water seeping into what appear to be young, freshly-cut gullies and gaps in the Martian surface.
The startling discovery of recently-formed, weeping layers of rock and sediment has planetary experts scratching their heads.

The wet spots show up in more than 120 locations on Mars and in the coldest places on the planet, said Michael Malin of Malin Space Science Systems in San Diego, California, which built the spacecraft's camera.

And that presents a "perplexing problem," he said, because logic says that Mars sub-zero temperatures and thin atmosphere should have kept those wet spots from ever forming.

The wet spots, which turn up in 200 to 250 different images from the Global Surveyor spacecraft, "could be a few million years old but we cannot rule out that some of them are so recent as to have formed yesterday," Malin said.

www.space.com...

Now on the hand of the next few images i would suggest that there is not only flowing water but probably standing water aswell.

qt.exploratorium.edu...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

There's more pictures but i have not sorted them out just yet.

Stellar

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Simply I believe that there is no water on Mars because you need air to make water. This cannot be true if you think about it. So why are they saying that there is water on mars, is it for us to believe that theres a way to live on mars?

Thanks for reading

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hello

HI-RES PICTURE

What we can see in this picture could hardly be just fine sand. There are several aspects which indicate this could be water.

First, notice that you can see a few details under the surface of the right edge of the water puddle. These details disappear once it goes deeper. Sand could hardly do this.

Second, the sand around the rock has different colors, the more you go to the bottom edge of the rock, the more darker the sand is. It seems to be "humidified", and there are dry grainy spots standing on the surface.

Finally, this location at the bottom edge of the rock looks to be incurved like a small tank, which makes sense for water presence. On the opposite, the sand upper in the pic is lighter.

[edit on 14/4/2006 by Musclor]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
edit!!: That is not a puddle of water in my view (in contrast to what I am editing out, lol).

Okay. Ahem. Look at the main puddle at lower edge, then follow arrows up to other, much smaller puddle (of exact same colour and consistency and surface texture), and then follow arrows from there to the longer highlighted section, and see how the 'water' merges with the rocks, and then take a look at the 'curvy' section, and look how the light plays on it - not how light should play on the flat surface of water.

Hey, but get a load of this one! Hi-Res sand embankment Long loading, but bottom looks mighty suspicious.

[edit on 14/4/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Originally posted by WolfofWar
I'm pretty sure we found one lake already...iced over, in a crater.

Yup, Mars Express did!

large image inside

That certainly appears to be frozen water to me. And quite a bit. Im sure that Mars is more inhabitable as we get closer to landing boots on it.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Here is the image, I cropped it to be able to show the structure under consideration:

Handofdespair brings up a good point. Sand ripples are caused by the force of the wind, and, as others have noted, they have a definite structure, they are different from water ripples. They also require a certain amount of wind and time to form them. What is the strength of wind on mars then? How fast does it have to be moving to form ripples like this?

Also, to me, it really looks like that is water, like as in you can see through it and see objects distorted by the water, like different coloured sands, or possibly reflections. What is the angle of the sun at this time, if anyone is familiar with how nasa presents this information.

Are they really and why do you believe that these are rocks even if they look nothing like rocks

I think he means, "Mars, it ROCKS WOOOOHOOOO"

Originally posted by sardion2000
I still find it really cool that in some places all you would really need is a O2 supply and a light jacket.

Huh?

Here is a crop of the object from the other photo you noted, for everyone

That really doesn't look like sand either, especialyl because it seems like you can see 'through' it. Is it possible that its also distorted as a cloud of rapdily evaporating water?

jra

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

One should note the heavy compression artifacts. That removes a lot of the details. To me it just seems like a fine grain sand. And probably due to a lack of tonal difference within the sand, it was easily compressed and jpg'd.

That's how I see it anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A lot of cool pics in this thread and a lot of good info and ideas passed around. Years ago we never thought there would be anything there and poof they find ice . We still have a lot more to look at. (And a lot we probably haven't been allowed to see)
It could very well be coming from an underground spring and once it hits the outside it disappears quickly. The Grayscale really makes it hard to tell.
Nice pic though.

Pie

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by handofdespair
since when does the wind blow on a planet where there is low gravity coupled with no air of anykind. breakage points.

Don't know about that, but there is enough to cause dust devils...

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
What you see may be computer graphic. Nasa goes there we dont, so we dont have a real clue whats going on. On the other hand that could be lava from the planet or some form of acid we dont know about. As i said you need air to make water and Mars certainly does not. On top of that those ripples couldnt of been made by wind cause there is no air on Mars!

Thanks for reading

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The pic in the first post looks to me like mud. Some of the other pics presented however, are a bit more convincing IMO. Still, they could all just be mud. But one thing really sticks out... either there's water on mars, or there was.

jra

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by yougenius
As i said you need air to make water and Mars certainly does not. On top of that those ripples couldnt of been made by wind cause there is no air on Mars!

Mars does have an atmosphere, it's very thin though. The atmospheric pressure is about .7% that of Earth at sea level. The fact that there are ripples (be it sand, water or whatever) means there is a wind, thus an atmosphere. Visual observation also confirms that there is an atmosphere too.

Mars' atmosphere consists of:

Carbon dioxide - 95.32%
Nitrogen - 2.7%
Argon - 3.6%
Oxygen - 0.13%
Carbon monoxide - 0.07%
Water vapor - 0.03%
Nitric oxide - 0.01%
Neon - 2.5 ppm
Krypton - 300 ppb
Xenon - 80 ppb
Ozone - 30 ppb
Methane - 10.5 ppb

jra

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Double post, sorry.

[edit on 15-4-2006 by jra]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

What is clear is that clouds hover over the caps as the weather starts to warm in the martian spring in the northern and southern hemisphere.

Orbiter data shows that those thin clouds vanish as the sun rises, and that the material falls back to Mars as frost or snow.

"This is clearly evidence that it snows on Mars," Smith said.

It's a far cry from the dry and dead world imagined by previous generations.

"The Mars we thought we knew was not the real Mars," says Ken Edgett, a geologist with Malin Space Science Systems of San Diego, California, which built the orbiter's cameras. "I'm personally surprised."

www.space.com...

This image, captured in April 1999, shows an early-afternoon scene of a volcano called Apollinaris Patera. The volcano is located near the martian equator, and is thought to be nearly three miles high. The volcanos caldera, the circular pit featured at its summit, is about 50 miles across. The white you see is a patch of white clouds hanging over the volcano.

This picture shows a portion of the floor of Melas Chasma in Valles Marineris. Dark sand dunes in the image are spaced about 190 feet apart. Smaller ripples are also visible in the troughs between some of the dunes, perhaps indicating a current windy environment.

his image features typical afternoon clouds over each of the large Tharsis volcanoes, or "montes." Olympus Mons is in the upper left corner, with the three Tharsis volcanoes running diagonally from upper center to lower left. Theyre called in order Ascraeus Mons, Pavonis Mons, and Arsia Mons. Together, the Tharsis Montes cover an area that would stretch down the entire west coast of the United States.

This wide-angle camera view of Mars was snapped in late July 1999, about a week before the start of the planets southern spring. At this time, wintertime frost was slowly melting. A slew of dust storm clouds (grayish-orange) occur just above the southern polar cap at the lower left.

www.space.com...

www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...

www-star.stanford.edu...

hubblesite.org...

Many more pretty pictures of clouds and other stuff you tend to find when there is 'weather' so would those who are trying please stop pretending there isn't any?

Thank you.

Stellar

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Mars has absolutely HUGE dust storms that cloud up the ENTIRE surface for months on end.

hubblesite.org...

Mars is famous for large, planet-wide dust storms. This is the first time that such an event has been caught near the receding northern polar cap.

I thought that was common knowledge?

The reason all these sand ripples - the ones that look like water - are not completely obliterated is because the Martian atmoshere is 0.7 per cent the density of Earths. You could have 100 k/mh winds but they would move the sand onyl fractionally. Those ripples build up over a long, long time, and as such, the general surface remains relatively flat, thus giving teh appearance of water.

Also, I find those claims of 'forest on mars!' and others complete poppycock. They are all vertical or semi-oblique photographs that show materoite craters. This site states at the bottom that Mars' atmoshpere contains methane. Wrong.

--------------------------------------

CO2: 95.3%
Nitrogen: 2.7%
Argon: 1.6%
Traces of Oxygen (0.15%)
Traces of water: 0.03%

Carbon Dioxide (CO2): 95.32%
Nitrogen (N2): 2.7%
Argon (Ar): 1.6%
Oxygen (O2): 0.13%
Water (H2O): 0.03%
Neon (Ne): 0.00025 %

Carbon Dioxide (CO2): - 95.32%
Nitrogen (N2): - 2.7%
Argon (Ar): - 1.6%
Oxygen (O2): - 0.13%
Carbon Monoxide (CO): - 0.08%

The present 'water' is NOT, repeat, NOT, in liquid form. This site will explain that for you.

But there is 'good evidence' that it has existed in liquid form! Read This!.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, I will repeat my earlier post:

" Look at the main puddle at lower edge, then follow arrows up to other, much smaller puddle (of exact same colour and consistency and surface texture), and then follow arrows from there to the longer highlighted section, and see how the 'water' merges with the rocks, and then take a look at the 'curvy' section, and look how the light plays on it - not how light should play on the flat surface of water. "

Original Hi-Res image: qt.exploratorium.edu... l-images/ . . .

My Image!!:

Have a look at mine, then cop a gawk at the hi-res. That is not a puddle of water!

I am surprised that this debate has gone on so long.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   
It indeed does look like a pond of some sort. If it is wet, it looks very much like wet mud which has been effected somehow by violent winds, crustal movement, or meteor impact. I do believe that water was once on Mars, and very well could still be there. However, i see this more than likely to exist under the surface rather than a pond on the surface. Who's to say though considering we've explored very little of Mars and is till quite a mystery. It will be interesting to discovery the many unknown facts of Mars as time rolls on. Keep up the cool posts.

P.S. the picture of the frozen over pond of mars express' discovery looks very computer generated. Not ruling out that mars express did not find this pond,. but that particular picture has been very deeply edited.

[edit on 16-4-2006 by nuclearap0x]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Did anyone see the little black object flying in the left upper corner?

I enlarged it, but it is still a bit unclear

users.skynet.be...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join